Wednesday 16 March 2016

Dark matter - Michelle Paver

Out of nowhere, for no reason, I was afraid. My skin pickled. My heart thudded in my throat. My body knew before I did that I was not alone…

London, 1937. Jack is poor, lonely and desperate to change his life, so when he’s offered the chance to join an Arctic expedition, he jumps at it. Spirits are high as the ship leaves Norway and at last they reach the remote, uninhabited bay where they will camp for the next year.

But the Arctic summer is brief. As night returns to claim the land, Jack feels a creeping unease. One by one, his companions are forced to leave. Soon Jack will see the last of the sun, the sea will freeze and escape will be impossible.

And Jack is not alone. Something walks there in the dark… 

My thoughts:
I will not do this book justice. The feeling you get from this book, the claustrophobic feeling, the feeling that someone is watching you, the chills up your spine. I will try, but you would have to read it to understand.

Spitsbergen. Months of darkness above the Arctic circle. Snow, cold, the vastness, the darkness. Ghost stories do not really hit home with me, but this was different. I can never comprehend the true darkness, we do get 4 hours of daylight when it is bad. But still, it is dark. I get those is someone watching me. Wanting to cover windows, wanting to go out and not go out. It was worse where I grew up, no lights on that mud road. No lights around the house either. It was really dark...always. Closest neighbor 100 m away (grandparents ;) Growing up reading stories about what could be out there...

Back to the story. Expedition. A captain telling them not to go there. And suddenly he was Alone. All Alone. Is he seeing things? Is he hearing things? Is the solitude driving him insane? Or is there truly something out there to get him? As I got closer to the end I read faster and faster, the chills going up my spine and then that realization he had. OMG. *shudders* Damn, I still got chills thinking of it. This would make one good horror movie. I would not watch it, I would get nightmares.

Conclusion:
Just read it. I hope it will scare you too. At first there is nothing, but read on, and suddenly you are there too at the end.

Paperback, Orion Paperback Edition, 288 pages
Published September 1st 2011 by Orion Books Ltd
Horror
Library

31 comments:

  1. WHAT REALIZATION?! I NEED TO KNOW NOW! This sounds amazing, definitely going to recommend it to my sister in law. She'd love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear it picked up and stole your attention

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, you have my attention with this one. I am going to go look it up at my library right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually can handle horror in books better lately, but there has been a couple that got to me and so I now chose them carefully. I might need to invest in a nightlight before getting this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not SCARY, just look over your shoulder for things that go bump in the night scary

      Delete
  5. It doesn't look like what you said from that pastel cover

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this reminds me of that vampire movie set in remote Alaska. 30 Days of Night. As much as it is fascinating to experience only a few hours of daylight, it will probably terrify me at some point as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First I've heard of this book, but I'm going to add this to my reading list now. I love creepy stories that take place in cold, icy places (yes, this is actually a thing for me!) I wouldn't have immediately thought "horror novel" by looking at that cover though, glad you got me to take a second look.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL.- If that is your thing then this book is def the book for you.

      The cover fits since it is not HORROR. More psychological horror that turns into horror in this beautiful place

      Delete
  8. I think this would traumatize me. Oh the chills! But it does sound like a story I'd have to finish no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeah it sonds scary but really intriguing too, I'm curious about the atmosphere

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy cups of coffee...this sounds spine tingling!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think me and this book will have to wait. I'm kind of scared now. I do love a good ghost story though.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP