Monday 28 March 2016

The Miniaturist - Jessie Burton

On a brisk autumn day in 1686, eighteen-year-old Nella Oortman arrives in Amsterdam to begin a new life as the wife of illustrious merchant trader Johannes Brandt. But her new home, while splendorous, is not welcoming. Johannes is kind yet distant, always locked in his study or at his warehouse office-leaving Nella alone with his sister, the sharp-tongued and forbidding Marin.

But Nella's world changes when Johannes presents her with an extraordinary wedding gift: a cabinet-sized replica of their home. To furnish her gift, Nella engages the services of a miniaturist-an elusive and enigmatic artist whose tiny creations mirror their real-life counterparts in eerie and unexpected ways . . .

Johannes' gift helps Nella to pierce the closed world of the Brandt household. But as she uncovers its unusual secrets, she begins to understand-and fear-the escalating dangers that await them all. In this repressively pious society where gold is worshipped second only to God, to be different is a threat to the moral fabric of society, and not even a man as rich as Johannes is safe. Only one person seems to see the fate that awaits them. Is the miniaturist the key to their salvation . . . or the architect of their destruction?

My thoughts:
I must say that thing that I liked about the book, the mystery, the seemingly magical realism..well that went nowhere in the end. That was nothing in the end. The last 50 pages could have been better. Now I keep wondering how? Too bad cos the book was really good up until then.

Nella marries a man twice her age. Her new home has two servants, one a terrible gossip. There is also her new sister in law that rules the house. So where is Nella's place?

Her husband gives her a "doll house", what? I will just call it that now. She gets pieces sent to her, pieces showing secrets. What is happening?

The whole mystery of what is going on in the house kept me reading. Also the atmosphere in the book was wonderful, I liked Amsterdam.

But then the magical realism fizzled out. Then secrets came crushing down (which was good, I wanted to know). And then it just ended, and I was left wondering.

Conclusion:
Still...it was good, but could have been great with that theme still going strong in the end too


Hardcover, 400 pages
Published August 26th 2014 by Ecco
Historical fiction
Library

32 comments:

  1. Oh, dang, I looked at that cover and read the title and I thought, wow! But I also thought: Score! Magical realism, yeah! Too bad that that plot thread went nowhere :\ Sad. Still, I might check it out yet :) I hope you spent a lovely Easter, Linda. Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not expect magical r, and then it seemed there would be, and then there was not! Agrhhhh

      Delete
  2. Ahh that sucks that it kind of crashed and burned at the end. Such an interesting concept...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gah! I hate when that happens... when you think "This is going to be special," and it fizzles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still good historical, but could have been more

      Delete
  4. I do love a great mystery, they are always a fun element to stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hm... sounds like the author needs some consistency in her worldbuilding. Not sure if this one is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So disappointing to here Linda, it sounded so good. Boo to bad endings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good, but it could have been awesome

      Delete
  7. Hmmm have you seen the movie The Butcher's Wife with Demi Moore? For some reason, I'm drawing parallels here

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still really curious about this book. I've seen some good reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It does sound mysterious and magical. Sorry the truth behind it all was somewhat a let down. But you do have me hooked. Maybe my library will have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the truth is that we never got the whole truth, she just let it drop

      Delete
  10. ah magical realism, that's nice. I didn't know about this one

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm, it's disappointing that the magical realism elements to this just fizzled out. :/ I'm not sure if I'd enjoy this in that case but this certainly seems like an intriguing mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too bad the end wasn't that good. And seriously who gives a doll house as a wedding gift?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pretty doll house. But yes it was a doll house. It was weird, but then...you will see

      Delete
  13. Well that is a bummer. I wish the ending had worked out better. It is never fun when a book seems to be good and then the ending flops. I'm glad you still enjoyed it overall.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP