Tuesday 15 March 2016

Powers: The secret history of Deena Pilgrim - Brian Michael Bendis and Neil Kleid

Brian Michael Bendis is one of the most successful and bestselling comic book writers currently working in the medium, and Powers is his best-known original creation. It debuted in 2000 and is currently printed by Marvel's Icon imprint, where each issue sells tens of thousands of copies. Powers tells the stories of human police officers attempting to solve crimes in a world inhabited by superheroes and supervillains.

In January 2015, the Playstation Network debuted Powers as its first ever hour-long scripted programming, featuring characters and plots from the comic book series. There are 110 million individual Playstation consoles around the world, opening up a huge new audience to the Powers universe.

And now comes the Powers novel, the first ever prose story set in the world of the comic, written by Bendis and novelist Neil Kleid. The Secret History of Deena Pilgrim, starring the fan favorite character from the comic series, is the story of a cold case that reopens when evidence from a new murder points back to Deena's own family tree. Pilgrim is forced to investigate her family's sordid past in law enforcement and must turn to her estranged partner Walker for help. 

My thoughts:
Ok so I confess that I know nothing about the graphic novel or the tv-series, but hey that did not matter. But I do say, that graphic novel series sounds good, and I do see traces of it here. It is clearly a graphic novel made into a book. It just you know flows that way, like jumping from picture to picture.

This is a world of super heroes, a virus making them so. We do not see that much of them here since this is Deena's book. But they are there. And there are Humans against them too, since those powers make those humans not so human.

Deena is a cop and loves it, she has a past, I guess that is in the graphic novels since it seems a LOT happened...like a LOT. But this book is about her trying to catch a serial killer. A killer with ties to her hometown, her family and what is going on, what happened back then?

A few twists and turns, a few enigmas. A kick-ass cop and well yes again I am curious about those graphic novels, and that series made for playstation...

But I do think that it could have flowed better, and not been so graphic novel'y. This is a book and not that.

What to call this genre then? Hmm, I have no idea. Let's just go with urban fantasy..sort of.

Conclusion:
A darker shade of heroes and cops.

Paperback, 320 pages
Expected publication: March 15th 2016 by Titan Books
Urban fantasy
For review

26 comments:

  1. I've always been a fan of humans with superpowers, so I might give this one a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel out of the loop because I don't know this comic or TV show either. Might have to look it up now though! Glad this was an interesting read even if it was a strange mashup of genres:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not well versed in the graphic world, and that tv series, dunno if that is animated or not

      Delete
  3. I'm still confused about the graphic novel. What is it about?
    Hope to hear from you!
    Kelly
    (Editor from essay-writing-place.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might like this even if it reads like a GN. I guess that's the general tone of most superhero books a la DC or Marvel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this one either but I do like the sound of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. why not, I didn't even know about these ones either (comics, TV show and book)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm sounds interesting and a little confusing. I guess those who have read the comic/graphic novel series will get the most from the book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a big fan of Bendis' work! Shamefully I can't remember if I've ever checked out Powers. I've heard that it's one of his good ones :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd know him :D Me, sadly, you know me

      Delete
  9. You've got me curious now. I should probably see if I can get the graphic novels first and then try the book. Or at least that's impression I'm getting. But how cool a world!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't heard of it but it would be good in graphic novel form, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds really interesting. I've never read a book that was originally a graphic novel. I've read graphic novels that started off as novels. I do love super hero TV shows and movies. I just recently tried a graphic novel of Jessica Jones, a Marvel former super hero/anti-hero, which I loved (review coming soon). I'll be adding this to my TBR list. Great review.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only tried that tvseries, it was not for me :/ I guess I am not for dark tv series, I like humour when I watch. Still that graphic one sounds good

      Delete
  12. This is new to me and I know nothing about the graphics or tv show...hmm now I am curious!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP