Thursday 10 March 2016

Sunbolt - Intisar Khanani

The winding streets and narrow alleys of Karolene hide many secrets, and Hitomi is one of them. Orphaned at a young age, Hitomi has learned to hide her magical aptitude and who her parents really were. Most of all, she must conceal her role in the Shadow League, an underground movement working to undermine the powerful and corrupt Arch Mage Wilhelm Blackflame.

When the League gets word that Blackflame intends to detain—and execute—a leading political family, Hitomi volunteers to help the family escape. But there are more secrets at play than Hitomi’s, and much worse fates than execution. When Hitomi finds herself captured along with her charges, it will take everything she can summon to escape with her life. 

My thoughts:
It was too short, it was too shooooort! *sad panda*
BUT, it does not end with a cliffie, I mean yes the whole book is one big cliffie, or not, but the ending is one of those all good for now, but soon you are in trouble again. One of those look the sky is blue, we are happy, but oh oh, you missed those dark clouds at the horizon......

Anyway. Hitomi is a young thief. She is nice, and does her best to survive. She is also a part of a organization trying to help since the island is going to hell. They got one of those evil mages, you know how it is.

We do not get that much of the world, I can't blame it on her, since we later learn she is educated. But right now her worldview is narrow, the city, best places to hide from soldiers, best places to hide from anyone. I would like to learn more though, cos there are other lands, the whole mage thing and so on. Oh and a map, I love those.

Since the story is short not a lot happens. Some people needs protection . Things go badly. We get to see ...stuff, I liked that. And a twist too before that, and well then it ended. And I got sad. Because hello! So much story still to be told. I look forward to that. I also hope X shows up again, I liked X...haha, spoilers ;)

Conclusion:
A good fantasy novella.  Easy and fast to read. It kept be hooked and wanting more.


Paperback, 142 pages
Published June 17th 2013 by Purple Monkey Press
The Sunbolt Chronicles #1
YA Fantasy
For review

40 comments:

  1. Seems like a great read, and thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it was a good read even if too short

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really read much fantasy but this one might work for me because it's short. I have a bad attention span with fantasy lol

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL: But I get that, some are just sooooo long, but I like that

      Delete
  4. Oh you know me and fantasy don't get along. But I'm glad you enjoyed this novella!

    ReplyDelete
  5. *waves* Happy Thursday!
    I like that cover

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you enjoyed this one! Not too much longer until Memories of Ash releases:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ewww novella...I would want more too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sequel is coming out soon! So you don't have long to wait :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I do like that I did not have to wait that long

      Delete
  9. It sounds good. Sometimes short and easy is a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for it getting you hooked and wanting more :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like something I would like... Someday... I'm adding it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love a story that is so engaging and keeps you hooked!! glad you had fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, I am in love with that cover. I know I've seen it before to, because it's so striking and memorable, but I knew nothing about the story before this. Thanks for the review.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  14. So their island has a dark mage. Just how dull life would be without one of those stirring up trouble.
    Weird to have a shorter fantasy story. Don't encounter many novellas in that genre since it takes at least that long to explain the world usually. Hope the next one's good, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, right! Poor guys, a life without a dark mage must be so dull. But here they have one, for free.

      I agree, most are of epic length. But it was nice to just read and finish in a sitting

      Delete
  15. ah yes it's always complicated when it's short

    ReplyDelete
  16. *Happy Dance* So glad you enjoyed Sunbolt. Thank you for the review! And oh, you made me laugh over the dark mage for free! They sure do show up a lot, don't they? Though I do have a story drafted with bratty princess mage as the main villain...maybe I need to finish that one up just for kicks.

    And yeah, it is super short, isn't it? I meant for all the books in this series to be shorter, but Memories of Ash has definitely turned into a full length read. So, wish granted? :P Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I do love those dark mages, so evil, and then there are the handsome ones too, oh maybe that is just me imagining it ;)

      Ohhh a bratty princess sounds nice. Yes you should finish that one!

      Delete
  17. Oh... this sounds good! Is the content appropriate for a 13 YO? (no sex, not a lot of swearing)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP