Thursday 8 June 2017

The Dragon's Legacy - Deborah A. Wolf

The last Aturan King is dying, and as his strength fades so does his hold on sa and ka. Control of this power is a deadly lure; the Emperor stirs in his Forbidden City to the East, while deep in the Seared Lands, the whispering voices of Eth bring secret death. Eight men and women take their first steps along the paths to war, barely realizing that their world will soon face a much greater threat; at the heart of the world, the Dragon stirs in her sleep. A warrior would become Queen, a Queen would become a monster, and a young boy plays his bird-skull flute to keep the shadows of death at bay. 

My thoughts:
I did wonder about the map when I started, cos it was so obviously our world, almost. But maybe they just wanted an easy map. You'd have to see it.

I liked how the "barbarians" had women warriors. The men stayed at home because their seed was precious. They could not do battle then. They could stay home and take care of everything. The women did the chasing after men too. then men were more gentle, but, there is always a but, the women weren't always. If the women rule, well like with every system there can be flaws too. As for this people, they are dying, the whole world is dying. Almost no babies are born. Soon women warriors will be a myth since they are the only ones.

Sulema is one of these warriors. Her mother is a powerful dreamer and there is a secret there. We learn of it after a while as the journey takes Sulema to another kingdom. One of magic. One with a mighty king. I must say when I did meet him he did not seem that might. Ok he was totally all powerful but he was also human. Myths about things do have a tendency to explode. 

There are other pows too. The one of Jian who is taken from his home to become a prince. I guess their paths will intertwine at hone point. I'd love to learn more about his origin.

Hennai, another woman warrior who shows us life in the tribe after Sulema leaves.

There are things going on. Plots and conspiracies. It's hard to know how to like. Sulema does seem very innocent. Yes she is a tough warrior, but can see see all those plots brewing? Her mother was cool, hardened and ruthless. What is there not to like.

But there were a lot of made up words, sure I learned them after a while, but you know, a lot. It's better to ease into a series then rush in headfirst. And I do like plots, but there were a lot. And the sun dragon was mentioned a lot, I get it, he is the sun.

Conclusion:
It was an interesting world and when the book ends, well yes sort of cliffhanger cos things are starting to fall apart.

Cover
nice

Hardcover, 320 pages
Published April 4th 2017 by Titan Books
The Dragon's Legacy #1
Fantasy'
For review

51 comments:

  1. The cover looks great and so does the plot. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool cover! Darn on the cliffhangerish bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A cliffy...interesting that the map is out world but not quite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wonder about that, maybe it really is meant to be our world, in a what if thing

      Delete
  4. I love the cover! Visiting from Romancing the Readers Blog for #GetSocial17

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...I'm not sure this book is for me. I do love that cover, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a nice twist in the premise...and I love anything Dragon!

    #GetSocial17

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool cover. I don't always do well with books with too many plots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That does sound like an interesting world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds interesting. The role reversal thing is different and I don't know that I could wrap my head around it. Sorry to hear about the cliffhanger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's nothing to wrap your head around, it just is :)

      Delete
  10. This one's on my radar, glad to see a review of it. Definitely sounds interesting!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds cool. Sometime too many made up words can be distracting though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do like the sound of the world that this is set in but made up words can make for a difficult read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh I do like the idea of women warriors, sounds awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahahaha men staying home to protect their seed such an interesting concept.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree that the cover is appealing. It caught my eye! Sounds like it is a book to read when one has time to dive into a new world with a lot going on. Thanks for sharing your review. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  16. Grrr to cliffhangers, but overall sounds like you'll enjoy the next one :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not sure it is for me but it sounds interesting

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds interesting. Nice cover too. I do like a good map, I'm so used to em now if a fantasy doesn't have a map I'm like where is it??? lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. This world should be interesting. I am glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You know it's a good fantasy book by the number of made up words. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This story sounds really interesting. Cliffhangers, though. Grr. :-)

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  22. okay wow well that is a different spin on the normal isn't it? XD

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just had a chuckle with the men's seeds being precious. Lol.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP