Monday 5 March 2018

Shooting Star - Jeffe Kennedy

Not all desires are shiny and sweet—and the dark ones might change you forever… 

It’s not the kind of obsession a tough Army guy can admit to—a jones for Ava, the pretty-princess pop star. Not just her body, the perfect product that sells all those magazines. Her music. 

The critics call her human lip gloss, all style and no substance. To Joe Ivanchan, Ava is the exact blend of reality and fantasy that he can tolerate, the closest he’s willing to get to giving his heart after the injury and breakdown that got him out of the service. 
But Ava is real. She’s a flesh and blood woman with a publicity machine and an album deadline, along with a whole team of handlers paid to shellac a pristine sheen over a damaged, desperate soul. A woman with fears, with secrets, with desires. 

When Joe finds himself in an interview to join her security team as her driver, his instinct is to get away. But the woman behind Ava’s carefully focus-grouped image is even harder to walk away from. The angry needs tormenting her speak to something within Joe. Something empathetic, protective—and primal… 

Besides, even a falling star can light up the darkest night. 

Ebook, 260
Expected publication: March 6th 2018 by Brightlynx
Dark Contemporary romance
For review

My thoughts:
This is actually the first book by her that did not work for me. Yes I get it was darker and for me that was one issue. There was nothing wrong with the story or writing. How wonderful that two damaged souls can find solace in each other, but....but it was the characters.

Joe creeped me out! I get that her music saved him when he came home and was in the hospital. But it was just too creepy. How he was all yay she is over 18 now and has done a center fold. And he was so obsessed that he watched the things she did as a kid too. Too far, too far. I never got over that first creepy impression.

Ava was human lipgloss. Sure I get that she portrayed that because she was broken inside after years getting told what to do and having a raving B as her mom. But she was just too handsy, mouthy and I did not like her.

I know that some can still enjoy the story, but I guess that characters really break or make a book for me. So these two can have each other then.

Two broken people find something they are missing in each other. And get some hot passion out of it too.


26 comments:

  1. I was quite surprised and I thought at first that it was so unhealthy but he was just a normal fan thereafter and that what bothered me I didn't understand how he went from crazy to normal. Other than that I liked the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a little iffy with the page count, but sounds like the characters weren't that fun either.(lol) Sorry this one didn't work for you. Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sorry to hear you didn't care for this one as much! I haven't read anything by her yet, but I hear great things about her fantasy novels, so I must give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you had issues with this one. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you didn't enjoy this one. I think it would have a huge ick factor for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Human lipgloss, now that is an interesting concept that I have never heard. Too bad this one was a flop. I am over the whole broken people fixing each other trope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't even pick this one up; I knew it wouldn't be for me. Sorry it didn't work for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had the right idea! But it was Jeffe! Lesson learned

      Delete
  8. okay, that is actually kind of creepy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmmm I don't know. It doesn't sound like it would be a good fit for me.

    I dont' mind the dark and broken aspect but the age thing sounds icky to me. I guess I would have to see how it was written.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, this one did not work for you. Characters do make or break a story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is really hard to like a book when you don't like the characters. I hope your next read is better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm, human lip gloss...first time I've heard that metaphor to describe someone, I think it's a bit strange! BTW, I did not expect this kind of story at all from the cover...

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make sense. All shine and no substance

      Delete
  13. Yea, this doesn't' so so great. Sorry it disappointed.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP