Saturday 31 March 2018

Saturday Movie: Viceroy's House

The final Viceroy of India, Lord Mountbatten, is tasked with overseeing the transition of British India to independence, but meets with conflict as different sides clash in the face of monumental change.

Director: Gurinder Chadha
Writers: Paul Mayeda Berges (screenplay by), Gurinder Chadha (screenplay by) | Narendra Singh Sarila (book)
 Stars: Hugh Bonneville, Gillian Anderson, Manish Dayal 

Drama History / 1 h 46 min


Thoughts:
It felt messy. It started well, but then it also started to fall apart. The Boneville story mostly took place in dark rooms where met and discussed. Not the most enthralling, but I guess it could have been if it had only focused on that and later what followed, massacres and people fleeing, and war.

Then there was the lovestory between two servants, and that could have been interesting too. But not it felt choppy and I never saw them be in love. They just were. Because the story jumped between that and so much more. This could have been the main focus and in the background we could have seen what was happening.

As it was now, sort of boring and jumpy.
I did almost cry at the end though. That was the best part. Which is sad.

21 comments:

  1. I've never even heard of this movie, but then sometimes I think I live under a rock. LOL

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad it didn't live up to its potential.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this one before. Pick a happy movie! lol

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gah. It seemed to sound at least decent. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this movie before now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of this movie before but I don't think I will be running out to try to find it anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, I need happier movies these days, just like I need lighter books. I don't want anything that might make me cry :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That I do understand, I never seem to choose those

      Delete
  8. Nuts! I had my eye on this one because of the storyline and the actors. I get so distracted when a movie seems to just flick from storyline to storyline without pausing. I'll still give it a try eventually since one of my last few books gave me a craving for Colonial India.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right, it had so much promise and it all fell apart. I was very disappointed

      Delete
  9. Sad it didn't live up to expectations. This could gave been good because very rich in history on both sides. Pity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's the first time I hear about this one

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww...sorry this wasn't a good one for you.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP