Wednesday 9 November 2016

A divided inheritance - Deborah Swift

London 1609...
Elspet Leviston’s greatest ambition is to continue the success of her father Nathaniel’s lace business. But her dreams are thrown into turmoil with the arrival of her mysterious cousin Zachary Deane – who has his own designs on Leviston’s Lace.

Zachary is a dedicated swordsman with a secret past that seems to invite trouble. So Nathaniel sends him on a Grand Tour, away from the distractions of Jacobean London. Elspet believes herself to be free of her hot-headed relative but when Nathaniel dies her fortunes change dramatically. She is forced to leave her beloved home and go in search of Zachary - determined to claim back from him the inheritance that is rightfully hers.

Under the searing Spanish sun, Elspet and Zachary become locked in a battle of wills. But these are dangerous times and they are soon embroiled in the roar and sweep of something far more threatening, sending them both on an unexpected journey of discovery which finally unlocks the true meaning of family . . .

My thoughts:
Ok so I was somewhere, I had one book with me, since I could not possibly even finish one. But yes I did read almost half of it. I was never that into it, but I read on, what else to do...

But here came the problem when I came home, I did not read then, I did not read the next day, and at the evening the next day I finally picked it up again. But it was just so...ok, only ok. I started reading some, skimming some, just wanting it to end. I had already invested time in half of it, I had spent 3 good reading days and was pissed at the book.

Zach was somewhat of an ahole.
Elspeth was boring.
Then they were in Spain, meh, a lot happened.
Crappy ending.

I always have trouble with her books. They just are not for me

Meh, I will give it an ok. Barely!

Paperback, 544 pages
Published October 24th 2013 by Pan MacMillan
Historical fiction
Own

23 comments:

  1. I've never read this author but this doesn't sound like my kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too funny. This sounds like one to pass for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay! So you won't be reading another of hers!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've liked the books I've read by her but haven't tried this one. That era isn't that interesting but I'll try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yea... 554 pages? I probably would just give up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not really take another book with me while I waited there and I had to read

      Delete
  6. Definitely a historical era I'm interested in, but too bad it was so problematic.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  7. And the blurb sounds so exciting. But I've had blurbs get me interested before only to have the actual story disappoint me. Moving on, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the review! mainly for its very descriptive bits

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP