Tuesday 17 December 2019

Amatka by Karin Tidbeck

Paperback, 216 pages
Published June 27th 2017 by Vintage (first published January 1st 2012)
Sci.fi
Library

This is one of those can not be explained books. I have read reviews calling it dystopia, but, no, not really. It is a world shaped by things they can not control, it controls them.

I assume people went through a portal, or took a ship to another planet. A planet that is alive somehow. But nothing lives there. The first people established 5 cities and tried to survive. This has turned into a strange "communist" state because that is the only way to survive.

Everything has its name written on it. Because if you loose the name then the chair, house, whatever disappears. It is a world that can not hold on to its things. And because of that the communes rule and dictate what people should do. And everyone have housemates so that no one disappears. Children grow up in "orphanages" so that they can learn the way. 

It is really life and death made into a surreal fallen communist looking world. It is grey, all grey, no color at all.

And it is strangely good, because it is so effed up. I could not put it down.

Vanja, a government worker, leaves her home city of Essre for the austere, wintry colony of Amatka on a research assignment. It takes some adjusting: people act differently in Amatka, and citizens are monitored for signs of subversion.

Intending to stay just a short while, Vanja finds herself falling in love with her housemate, Nina, and decides to stick around. But when she stumbles on evidence of a growing threat to the colony and a cover-up by its administration, she begins an investigation that puts her at tremendous risk.




18 comments:

  1. It's great that you couldn't put it down

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a crazy world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I had read your review for this on Goodreads. It sounds very interesting.

    Karen @ For What It's worth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sound of this, I think it sounds interesting and different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really original. I bet it took a minute to really get a feel for the world though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was strange, i sort of fell right into it, but still was all what?

      Delete
  6. Hmm, this might be too weird for me!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. This guy in my bookclub read it and I was all wtf? And I gave it a go ;)

      Delete
  7. I'm down for the weird! I hadn't heard of this one before, so I'm glad you reviewed it. I was even able to request a copy from a neighboring library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh!! Good! I wondered if it could be hard to find

      Delete
  8. Mmmmmmmm....I am intrigued.....

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP