Tuesday 31 December 2019

Dnfs of 2019

Jen asked about my dnf posts and it did get me thinking. So here are the few things I wrote on GR. Some I had written nothing about, some very just so meh that yeah, meh.

Our library was closed for almost 3 months so I borrowed a bunch of books and yes like 90% did not work out.

I also tried going through my freebies in a hunt for short books ;)

Mageborn (Age of Dread Trilogy, #1) by Aryan, Stephen 
Second time around, and yeah, just nope

Ruined by a Rake (All's Fair in Love, #1) by Knightley, Erin 
Meh, going through my freebies

A Soul For Trouble (Soulbearer, #1) by McHugh, Crista 
Meh, like seriously this one

Rise of the Dragons (Kings and Sorcerers, #1) by Rice, Morgan 
Very meh, eyerolling

The Woolgrower’s Companion by Rhoades, Joy 
I was bored

Slow Ride (Road to Love, #2) by Foster, Lori 
I have listened to 26%! and I have no idea what is going on. I can not keep my attention on this book

Cowboy Trouble by Kennedy, Joanne 
Right now all the men (and why are there so many men) are all rapey and touchy. I am all wtf have you never seen a woman? This town is creepy

I have liked her books before, but it seems this was actually her first

The Perfect Assassin (Chronicles of Ghadid, #1) by Doore, K. A. 
Not a good sign when I do not like the narrator from the first word. It sounds like he is murdering an Irish accent). I can't hardly hear what he is saying. Weird lisp too

A Year of Marvellous Ways by Winman, Sarah
Boooring

Flirting With Danger (Samantha Jellicoe, #1) by Enoch, Suzanne
So bad I forgot to write a dnf report

In the Vanishers’ Palace by Bodard, Aliette de 
Ok, so maybe this author is not for me. Again, bored by the story, confused by the world. THis should have been a novel instead

On a Red Station, Drifting by Bodard, Aliette de 
I have liked the narrator before, so maybe it is the story, it was just so sleep inducing

The Gutter Prayer (The Black Iron Legacy, #1) by Ryder-Hanrahan, Gareth 
Maybe I have been reading too much fantasy lately, this is like my 3rd dnf. But I will save it for a later date and try again. Until then! Cos I hate giving up on fantasy

The Archived (The Archived, #1) by Schwab, Victoria 
Another one that might work better in print. I am feeling so confused

Middlegame by McGuire, Seanan 
I just can not. I am confused. I feel like audio is not the best format for this

How We Disappeared by Lee, Jing-Jing 
I just can not! It is so dull. It should not have started with the old woman
And now it is about some modern kid?!
Ugh, no

1356 (The Grail Quest, #4) by Cornwell, Bernard 
Duller than dull

A boy made of blocks by  Keith Stuart
I know it's hard, but no wonder your wife threw you out

Naondel (Krönikor från röda klostret, #2) by Turtschaninoff, Maria
Dunno why this is YA when the people get older, it is really rapey, and ugh some of the people. DNF

I still think Arra one of the best book I have read and that one should get translated!

Big Little Lies by Moriarty, Liane 
Too bored to continue, I think I'd rather watch the show

The Summer Country by Willig, Lauren 
It's not that it is bad, I just do not really care. Last night I fell asleep (again), and I am sure I missed 30 min and I was all, I do not care, so, yeah time to dnf

Breven från Maresi (Röda klostret, #3) by Turtschaninoff, Maria
Written in letter format can work, but not here, I got annoyed by her use of nickname for the person she wrote to. And also I never got into the story this way

So she is gonna start a school, only girls, ok good, but this freaking place has no schools at all. And she wonders why her brother got upset

No

Blood of an Exile (Dragons of Terra, #1) by Naslund, Brian 
It lost me from the start

Dark mafia prince by Annika Martin
Sometimes dark is just too dark. She is a great writer, and I am sure if I could get over some things I would like it but.... Sexual violence is not romance for me.

He says he will cut off her finger, then she says if she gives him oral if he wont do that. Well FU.

Slouch Witch (The Lazy Girl's Guide To Magic, #1) by Harper, Helen 
Another meh, at least I am burning through my freebies

The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1) by Rai, Alisha 
I kind of just gave up and forgot

Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #3) by Lawrence, Mark 
The dual time line does not work for me.
I am just gonna give up. I read the end, eh, I wanted more

3:AM Kisses (3:AM Kisses, #1) by Moore, Addison 
She dropped her top and I was out. Stupid

Wrapped Up in You (Heartbreaker Bay, #8) by Shalvis, Jill 
Nope, I just can not. I am not feeling the narrator.

Cold Welcome (Vatta's Peace, #1) by Moon, Elizabeth
Meh, will not push it

Gingerbread by Oyeyemi, Helen 
Meh, bored, giving up, did not connect

His for Christmas by Warren, Skye 
She is 18, she gets out of jail. SHe has 20 dollars. So she takes a bus to New York where she gets a place to stay, and I guess new clothes too, since she gets a job as the secretary for one of the richest guys in the country? Really? I know she lies on her form, but srsly, with this guy people would do some research.

Also, rapey. WTF. Just no

No thanks.

It also seems that they fall in love a few secs later.

No thanks

Get a life, Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert
SO close, sooo close. But I am throwing in the towel. I have no idea how many times I have fallen asleep. And the thing is that I never care, instead I have just gone on. So I have prob missed half of it.

I get that she is sick, but I can't like someone who acts like that.

No chemistry.

Meh, why did I not give up sooner

20 comments:

  1. Oh, I don't think I'd read any on this list. Sorry they didn't work, but I totally get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have forced myself to finish 1 star books this year and WHY

      Delete
  2. I listened to Big Little Lies and struggled with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got a few there! I am very surprised you didn't post really anything this year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should cos this way I might have missed some cos they are never in order

      Delete
  4. I haven't read any of those but I've liked Mark Lawrence's books that I've read. I don't remember I had many DNF's this year. I think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked book 1, but nope, I could not bother

      Delete
  5. I did enjoy a few on this list, but whew, I don't see too many that are still left on my TBR!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SOme might have worked in a different format, or not

      Delete
  6. When I tackle my freebie lists or books and ARCs I passed up for others this type of list is what I get, too. Sometimes I'm bored, but mostly b/c it interested me at the time and then my interests changed.
    DNF-ing is no longer a bad thing to me when a book and reader are not a good match. Looks like you stopped and moved on to others that are better matches for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not have a lot of reading time, so why struggle with meh books? When I could read great books! I sure have freebies to spare for one

      Delete
  7. You are a master dnf'er lol I'm getting better about it.

    Middlegame didn't work in print either. IMO anyway. And I liked Chloe Brown but wasn't in love with it like everyone else. I didn't feel invested in the couple an everyone was SO quirky.

    Karen @ For What It's worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH too bad! I really could NOT keep my attention on it

      It felt too over the top for me

      Delete
  8. That's a lot of dnfs! I have only read one of these, the book by Jill Shalvis. I agree that the narrator can make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very strange, I just did not feel it

      Delete
  9. There's the Linda I know and love! haha!

    I have Chloe Brown in audiobook and it's next on my list. I am the same with dark romance - I don't enjoy it, especially mafia and MCs. No thanks. Here's to fewer DNFs in 2020!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I had to do it! Dnfs are important too, you so right. I need to show what does not work at all

      Delete
  10. Huh, you didn't like GUTTER PRAYER. I haven't read it yet, but it still sounds intriguing.

    I actually DNF'd a book on New Years Eve, COLD STORAGE. The science and plot were so awesome, but the pages and pages of backstory bogged me down and I grew too bored to continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will give it one last go, but I just could not connect

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP