Monday 9 December 2019

Carole's Monday: The red pearl by Chloe Hilton


The Red Pearl: A Novel of the American RevolutionAuthor:  Chloe Helton  
Title: The Red Pearl
Genre: Historical Fiction
Pages: ebook
Publication Date: March 1st 2019
Where I Got It: My shelf (Given to me by the author/publisher for my honest and unbiased opinion)



Boston, 1779. A nation in revolution. An innkeeper’s wife will change its fate.

There is something peculiar about the group of men who have begun to frequent The Red Pearl. Their clandestine meetings and hushed conversations suggest dark secrets: secrets which Lucy Finch has been forbidden to listen to. However, when a horrific assault makes her ache for revenge, Lucy will risk everything to pass on the explosive information she hears while pouring drinks. What she finds may be the fodder for a historic victory - but it may also lead to her ruin. 




The Revolutionary War will always hold a special place in my heart. I was obsessed with learning everything I could about this time when I was growing up. I still love it, but I have expanded my horizons. When this was offered for me to read, I could not deny it!

The story follows Lucy in Boston. She is the wife of an innkeeper and she gets to hear more than she should from the loosened tongue of the drunk Tories that frequent there. After a terrible event, she decides enough is enough and she will take this information to the side she wants to win. But will it ruin her marriage or end with her killed?

This was short, but packed with a lot of story. Honestly? I wish it had been longer. Maybe with an epilogue of some sorts? Or a book 2? Something. I want more from these characters and their stories. I really want Sam to have a HEA. Perhaps a book with his story? Just want more. 

I felt bad for Lucy. She gave up her first love to have a safe marriage with another man. Dangerous times for sure. Can't blame her at all. Also I wanted to cry because what happened to her was terrible. But it did respark her motivation to see the victory of the Patriots.

I did feel bad for her husband sometimes, but I was mad at him because I get wanting to be neutral and all, but defend your wife darnit! He needed a swift kick in the butt! 

I'm glad the baddie got what he deserved. Huzzah for justice!

What I really loved about this book was how real it felt. Sure we could've seen more heroics and more drama. But Lucy and everyone felt real. Sometimes just sharing a few secrets can have huge impacts. It was nice to see these characters flawed and have to deal with everyday life. It wasn't a love match. But a marriage of convenience and the author did a wonderful job showing the darker truths of the times mixed with the lighter truths. For example, Betty had a love match, but then Lucy didn't. The author knows her stuff. 

In the end, I really did like this story. I honestly wanted more to make it even better. I needed more time with these characters. Overall, though, this was worth the read. If you are looking for a good historical fiction, I for sure recommend this. I'll give this 4 stars. 






2019 Cloak and Dagger Reading Challenge
20 out of 16/25








4 comments:

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP