Thursday 7 May 2015

Before I go - Colleen Oakley

Daisy never asks you to feel sorry for her.

Daisy is 27-years-old and has only months to live. And, each day, she's finding her way through what needs to be done.

Her major worry is what her wonderful, charming husband, Jack, will do without her. She knows that he won't take care of himself so Daisy has to do it for him. As she searches for Jack's next wife, she begins to realise that her plan to ensure Jack's happiness is much more complicated than she expected.

Life-affirming, authentic, funny and heartbreakingly beautiful, Before I Go is all about love.

My thoughts:
I got tissues sent along with my review copy, and those were needed. So that is a warning, tissues will be needed. I could not put this book down, I read it for hours until I was done, and then I cried.

This book was emotional, heartbreaking and I knew all along that I would end up crying. It's not a book about some woman doing all the things she wants to do. It's a book about love, life, and death. It's not a question of is she gonna make it? No, it's about when will she die...

Daisy finds out that the cancer is back, and not just back. Everywhere. She only has months left. She goes through stages of depression, anger, grief. She tries to be normal for a while. And then she tries to find Jack another wife for a while too. Great, now that lump is back in my throat *wipes a tear*

The book was both light and sad. The true sadness kind of just hits you at the end. It was a beautiful book. And I understood her, I mean what would you do if you were dying? One always thinks I will do this and that. But the reality is another thing. And it broke me seeing her push him away, telling him to live as he always does. They loved each other so much, but the big D was constantly there.

Ok now you think "but it will be so sad". Yes, it was sad. It was a beautiful emotional journey. Well written, heartbreaking, and just one I had to accept. I am not going to gloss it over, you know what sad means.

Conclusion:
A great book, oh those great books that make you cry. They stay with you. I want to read more by this other, and I recommend it

Cover
It does kind of fits. It was both light and dark

Paperback, 320 pages
Expected publication: May 7th 2015 by Alllen & Unwin
Fiction
For review

42 comments:

  1. I was lucky enough to go to the book launch for this title and everyone there said they needed tissues too. This sounds so good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's never a good sign for my emotional stability when a tissues arrive with the book! I'm glad this was a beautiful story despite how heartbreaking it was:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a first, but they were right. And I almost never cry

      Delete
  3. I can't do books Ike this unless I want to be in Xanax the next day. This is y kind of guilty pleasure though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A guilty pleasure, really? More like a rainy day for me

      Delete
  4. I love the cover and this sounds so good! I'll keep an eye out for this and have tissues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a really pretty cover :) But anywho sad books are sooo not my thing. Thanks for the amazing review though!

    Asma @ IceyBooks

    ReplyDelete
  6. *sobs* I saw a movie about a husband who did the same thing - trying to find a new spouse for his wife.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sure this is lovely, but I can't do a crying book right now. I am scared of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol oh my gosh tissues sent with it?? I think I'm gonna need to pass on this one for now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't do sad reads. Odd that this one claims to be funny too. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not SAD. Of course it was sad cos she is dying, but it was never SAD

      Delete
  10. OH dear...I may have to read this now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I listened to this one on audio. The narrator nailed Daisy's voice and I needed tissues!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book has been sitting prettily on my shelves for a while now. Thank you for reminding me I still need to read it. Oh I'm looking forward to the crying jag, trust me. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, I almost never cry. I go all, yes sad, and move on. But here, crying

      Delete
  13. When I need a good, sad book I'll think about this one. Sounds lovely but pretty depressing. Oh well, death is a part of life. Still so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not say depressing cos yeah, we all will die in the end

      Delete
  14. oooh you cried? That's sad, I cry easily so I think it would be the same for me. One day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It doesn't take much to get me to tear up over a book, if I get invested in the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it takes a lot ;)

      FRIDAY!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  16. Oh, man, I didn't know about this, and wasn't that a shame! I love books that stay with you. This is definitely one for me, thanks, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't cry often over books. I like the cover. I'll pick it up if I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I borrowed this audiobook from my library, but haven't listened to it yet, because I'm not emotionally ready... But after reading your review I feel like I should do it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds good, but I will need truffles to go with the tissues.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so ready to see some sick-lit for 20-ish people. I am a little worn out on the teen cancer stories. In your 20s, you have your life budding out, and so much investment in your newly developing life. I so want this book now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are just depressing, I can't handle those.

      while this one, she has still lived a bit, so yes it is sad, but still

      Delete
  21. I don't know if I could read this, but it does sound touching and the cover is cute.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP