Wednesday 20 May 2015

The Scent of Shadows and Never cry Wolf

Joanna Archer knows all about darkness. Raped at age 16, she's spent the last 9 years watching the dark side of humanity. At night she prowls the forsaken streets looking for revenge. Until a chance date turned horrific reveals a world beyond the bright lights and big action of Sin City - an otherworld filled with supernatural forces.

My thoughts:
What's up with rape and UF. I know UF is PNRs darker sister, but all the rape, must we?

So yes Jo was raped at 16 and is all messed up cos of that. Also suddenly after almost 10 years she sees her former BF and wants to do something about it. Why wait that long? Ok so that was not my point. What is my point?

One messed up heroine who knows krav maga. She has a bimbo smart sister. She has a dad who hates her. She has painful memories she can let go of.

But she is also special, but the road there was a bit, did you have do that?

Also, I am not sure I actually like Jo. She is not very likable....and neither is anyone else.

Conclusion:
I did think the book was good. Interesting, darker than usual somehow. But that still does not make me wanna read more. I felt it was not a good UF fit for me. I still read it fast though, but something was still off. 

Cover
Boring

Paperback, 455 pages
Published June 2nd 2008 by Voyager
Signs of the Zodiac #1
Urban fantasy
own


Lucas Simone is not the kind of guy you mess with. He’s big, he’s strong, and his eyes hint at a wilder side most women can’t handle. Of course, that’s because his predatory instincts are no metaphor–he’s a genuine Grade-A top-quality werewolf, tough enough to fight his way to dominance over the scariest pack on the West Coast. There’s only one chink in his armor. Unlike most alpha dogs, Lucas has a reputation for protecting the weak and innocent.

Sarah King is counting on that protective impulse–it’s the only thing standing between her and certain death. There are only two problems: one, she’s not quite as innocent as she’d like Lucas to believe. And two, if he doesn’t stop stoking Sarah’s animal lust, it’s only a matter of time before her own wild side gets unleashed… 

My thoughts:
There is still hope...

I did not have a lot of hope when I started this book, it was pnr after all, and we all know how that has turned out lately. But to my surprise the book was good and hooked me from the beginning. I was all what? For reels? Yup, I enjoyed a PNR book, and there was that anthology a few weeks back too. Freaky. But then this one was not a cliche ridden mess of true mates, big bad alpha who is really sweet, and hot smexy times after confessing undying love.

SO yes Lucas was a big bad alpha. But he was bad. Seriously, sure he protected peeps but he was not afraid to kill..a lot. Shifters were described as psychopaths about to happen. There was this claustrophobic feeling like they could rip her throat out at any minute. She truly was in a cage with wild animals. He was never that alpha a-hole. He was just dangerous.

And Sarah may have played damsel in distress but she was none. She was lying and had an agenda. She had her own powers.

Of course there was smexy times. He found her hot, she found him scary and hot and they did it. That did not mean they loved each other.

I also liked the explanation for mates. It's just who fits you genetically, that does not mean true love is involved. No destiny shit here.

Conclusion:
Yes, I enjoyed the book. There was action, bad people, death and mayhem. And two people fell in lust.

Cover
meh

Paperback, 310 pages
Published June 28th 2011 by Kensington
Night Watch #4
Paranormal romance
Own

40 comments:

  1. What those covers need is some headless torsos! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki writes darker UF as a general rule, but I really rally dislike rape in my books, unless they're contemporary and issue books, in which case I also hate it but I understand the need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much rape in UF. Fine we get it, she has issues and she can now kick-ass. But she does not need to be raped to be able to do that

      Delete
  3. You're making me realize I own 5 of Cynthia Eden's book and still haven't read any, I should do something about that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the sound of Never Cry Wolf! Yay for an alpha who's not an alpha-hole ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can do dark, but I do not wanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. What!? You enjoyed PNR!? I need to read that magic book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. odd that you liked the PNR over the UF. I don't tend to like the darker UFs with rape and all that either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was crazy, but I guess I can still do PNR.

      It's just not for me

      Delete
  8. Interesting. I rarely get rape in UF but I've gotten it often in PNR. I do like a dark UF but not quite that dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In pnr, even worse. Cos there the love starts so quickly too

      Delete
  9. I might like the first book and why haven't I tried CEden?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Meh to both. And I like my UF and sometimes having it dark is good, but there is a limit to HOW dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, same with my fantasy, that is why I can't do grimdark

      Delete
  11. I think rape gets thrown around as a plot device too much in UF. Sometimes it's just unnecessary.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally. She got raped. Now she is strong. No, just no. Ok so there was another thing too, but still, no rape

      Delete
  12. Ah rape... I heard great things about Eden but haven't tried any of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tried one of Vicki's last year (PNR) and it was a big miss for me :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember her pnr series, must have a look, though I doubt it is for me

      Delete
  14. I don't think I'd like the first book, but the Cynthia Eden book sounds good and I've heard her books are good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rape is a new thing obviously. I read 10-12 books a month and at least two of them (always new releases) have victims of rape as main chars or rape threats or something similar. It's very annoying and usually puts me off.

    I own Night Watch #1 and you just intrigued me to read it. I like your description of Never Cry Wolf, it reminds me a bit of The Others series (minus sex lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, that is too much! What is up with that?!

      You do? I hope you like it then, or is as surprised as I do enjoy it, lol.

      Delete
  16. You liked a PNR? I am impressed. I hate how so many UF use rape! I think I'll pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't like reading about rape either. The second book sounds good though, especially since there's no destiny nonsense to worry about :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry to hear it was a bit darker and something felt off for you

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have me curious about the wolf book especially her explanation about mates. Um the other book..sounds weird.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm not a big fan of rape used as a plot device for character development, and it does seem to happen a lot in UF. I like the sound of that genetic match for mates in the PNR, you hardly ever see that. Curious to read that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's was a really cool idea cos that makes sense. Like they can sniff out their bet match, but that does not mean love

      Delete
  21. One out of two ain't bad. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP