Friday 29 May 2015

Hugh and Bess - Susan Higginbotham

Forced to marry Hugh le Despenser, the son and grandson of disgraced traitors, Bess de Montacute, just 13 years old, is appalled at his less-than-desirable past. Meanwhile, Hugh must give up the woman he really loves in order to marry the reluctant Bess. Far apart in age and haunted by the past, can Hugh and Bess somehow make their marriage work?

Just as walls break down and love begins to grow, the merciless plague endangers all whom the couple holds dear, threatening the life and love they have built.

My thoughts:
I read the book about Hugh's dad, and I must say this one was much better. This one I could actually enjoy. Though I do not like that she made it..cute? They liked each other too much. Is that fact or fiction?

Ok, Bess is told she must marry Hugh. She is 13, a widow, he is 30. The age thing did not bother me. Marry them away young before they do something stupid. It was the 14th century after all. They waited until she was mature enough for that other business.

Hugh is the son of a traitor. Bess the daughter of a newly made Earl with the king's ear. It was a political match. In this book they grow to like each other, and I guess that was nice.

Oh that time. I had forgotten that 3 of his sisters (kids!) were forced to become nuns when their father was executed. Women were cattle. Horrible :/

Conclusion:
All in all, I enjoyed this book. It felt very light historical fiction (the previous one was actually too heavy and felt like a textbook). An interesting couple too. 

cover
boring

Paperback, 287 pages
Published August 1st 2009 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published October 29th 2007)
Historical fiction
Own

33 comments:

  1. Nice history behind this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Less boring if there was an entire head? ;p

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is rather eye opening when your read books like this and see how awful women had it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 13! That sounds terrible. This book sounds very sad, but equally interesting. Great review!

    Hafsah @ IceyBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not call it sad, it was never sad, it was just life

      Delete
  5. Glad you enjoyed, you know I dont do much HF though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked this but I actually liked the book about Hugh's dad more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting that it still felt light especially when it was a political match and his sisters ended up into a forced nunnery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They ended up in a nunnery in book 1 ;)

      Delete
  8. So how did they bridge that age gap? I mean was it awkward in the intimate parts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They married when she was young yes, but it was stipulated that they had to wait to consummate it. So it never felt weird

      Delete
  9. I actually like th cover for this book and idea. I like the theme of married couple falling for each other. And I don't mind that she's so young, that were the custom those days, as you say...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they had to wait until she was older, mostly to make it safe for babies. And it was not like she was a child, she had been married before, and not consummated it.

      Delete
  10. I didn't know about this book or this author, but it sounds like something I could enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoa! 13?!? Hello insanity! You're right, women were cattle in those days... A lovely review, Linda, in your inimitable style :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had Higginbotham's first book on my shelf for a long time but never ended up reading it, so then I think I gave it to the used bookstore. I got it at a time when I really enjoyed medieval literature and now, just not so much. I do remember a lot of people saying her books were very heavy, though, so seems like maybe she is moving away from that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very heavy, too heavy. I'r rather read a non.fic book then cos it was not good

      Delete
  13. Huh seems like she cannot find a balance between heavy and light. lol.
    Great review my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds interesting. This author was one of the first I read back when I began book blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard of her later on and read her later books

      Delete
  15. Interesting that it went from too heavy to too light. Perhaps the author was overcompensating? In any case, it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's been years since I read this one, but I do remember enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP