Wednesday 27 May 2015

The talon of the Hawk and Negotiation by Jeffe Kennedy

A wounded warrior trapped by the sorceress who knows him better than he does himself…

General Uorsin escapes the last devastating battle, only to find himself alone on a mountain, feverish and no closer to finding the paradise that drives him on. Salena, greatest shapeshifter and magic-worker of her people, springs the trap she’s set to protect her land—and to prevent the ravager Uorsin from ever reaching it.

Together, they spend a night setting the terms that will determine not only the rest of their lives, but the fates of the peoples of the Twelve Kingdoms—and the thirteenth.

My thoughts:
This is the prequel to the Twelve Kingdoms books :)

Ok so this was a short story, not a lot to say. We go back in time to see how Uorsin (that bastard) and Salena first met and made their deal. Their deal that now shapes their children. And well, she was brave, I could never have done what she did...

It's free right now so hurry if you want to take a first look into this world.

Ebook, 27 pages
Published 2015
The Twelve Kingdoms #0,5
Fantasy romance
Free right now

Three daughters were born to High King Uorsin, in place of the son he wanted. The youngest, lovely and sweet. The middle, pretty and subtle, with an air of magic. And the eldest, the Heir. A girl grudgingly honed to leadership, not beauty, to bear the sword and honor of the king.

Ursula’s loyalty is as ingrained as her straight warrior’s spine. She protects the peace of the Twelve Kingdoms with sweat and blood, her sisters from threats far and near. And she protects her father to prove her worth. But she never imagined her loyalty would become an open question on palace grounds. That her father would receive her with a foreign witch at one side and a hireling captain at the other—that soldiers would look on her as a woman, not as a warrior. She also never expected to decide the destiny of her sisters, of her people, of the Twelve Kingdoms and the Thirteenth. Not with her father still on the throne and war in the air. But the choice is before her. And the Heir must lead… 

My thoughts:
To be fair, I was never a fan of Ursula. She seemed like her father's child. The warrior princess who will follow duty. But the facade began to fall apart in this one. Sure she was still loyal, but also started to see reason. And I understood why she kept up that I am strong, I do as I am told thing....

So we all know by now that the king is an a-hole, and trust me, if you think he could not get any worse...oh you are mistaken, he truly is a tyrant. How Ursula still can follow him, oh I wondered, but she was shaped and broken by him. I felt so sorry for her.

But she will start to see that things must change. This kingdom is falling to bits. She must learn to let go. In the end she was almost my favorite sister..make that favorite. Her story was emotional.

There is love too. I did not really trust the guy, he loved too easily. She took her time and fought it, while he loved at once. And I being a suspicious person found that strange. At least he loosened her up.

And at the end I found out that there will be more books, so that will be fun. Dafne is up next, I have no idea what that will be about but I look forward to reading more.

Conclusion:
The most emotional of the three books. Our warrior heir finds her way.

Cover
She would wear more than that

Paperback, 352 pages
Published May 26th 2015 by Kensington
The Twelve Kingdoms #3
Fantasy romance
Own


31 comments:

  1. Sounds good. For free, I will give it a shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep hearing so much praise for these books, I'll really have to find the time for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen this series before and your reviews have me curious. I will go download the freebie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to check this series out! Thanks for the freebie heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a vampire story by him (her ?) on my tablet, I should give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ack. Is it Friday yet?! O.O

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does she write sexy novels too? For some reason I associate her with erotica.

    P.S. Sorry I've been MIA, I had technical difficulties

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1) Sounds good! I need a shortie
    2)This sounds like a really awesome series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Honestly. Your reviews always make me chuckle. I especially like your comment on the cover of the second book. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One day I'll really have to try a book by this author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some trilogies are impossible not to love. But I absolutely have to agree with your assessment: she WOULD wear more, lol! Another great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh got the first one, thanks! I do like those kind of emotional books. Plus I agree, no warrioress would wear such a outfit. Things would be popping out everywhere. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm hoping to try Jeffe Kennedy soon. I met her at RT and really liked her. I had never met her before. I've got several books by her to read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. While I completely agree with your statements about Harlan like "I did not really trust the guy, he loved too easily." I don't think this was the most emotional of the series. Ursula was too cold through most of the book - emotionless, so it was hard for me to connect to the couple or believe in the love. But overall, great conclusion to the initial story arc and looking forward to more. This series is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that she was cold, she had to me, so for me that made her journey emotional. Not to mention the things we learned.

      While her sisters for me, had easier journeys

      Delete
  15. She's one I still need to try :/ I grabbed the freebie :D Thank ya!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP