Tuesday 19 May 2015

The demon door - Kim Alexander

The demon Prince of Eriis has turned out to be something of a disappointment. Rhuun is crap at magic. He can’t fly, can’t even shoot flames from his hands. His poor girlfriend has just about had it with him. It’s no wonder he drinks. All Rhuun really does is daydream about visiting the other world, the world without magic—the human world of Mistra. No one has been there for a generation, but Rhuun knows all about the humans. He’s got a book. It’s the only human book on Eriis, and he’s been studying it his whole life. The fact that his book is a bodice-ripping romance novel, well… it’ll make his adventures in the human world a little more complicated. 

Tip #1 – Human women do not generally like to be called “wench.”

In Mistra, Lelet va’Everly could use a little magic herself. Parties and boys have lost their luster, and she’s desperate for an adventure. When a bizarre, exasperating, extremely good looking – and hot (literally) stranger shows up, he might be the person, and purpose that she had been waiting for. But why does he keep calling her a wench?

Sometimes love doesn’t just change your own world… it changes all of them. 

My thoughts:
I think this book could have been much more. The world is there. But not really. I would have wanted a fuller world building, cos I love that stuff. Now it was lacking. Like a theater setting, you see something, but behind it there is nothing.

Was this YA? Fantasy romance? I guess...maybe. It seems to be adult, but yeah no. The romance came late though and I was all, what? I got a bit surprised. Which was good, I like surprises. But did I care? No. But I guess I should not call it fantasy romance then cos there were no romance, but still, it had that feeling.

Truthfully, like I have said earlier. I just wanted more. More of the world. Better character development. Better make me care...

Cos I did not really care. Rhuun was kind of pathetic. Ok so I know you are a freak, no wings, no magic, still, you are a loser. His 2 friends are not even his friends. His mother was cool though, that is why I enjoyed the book at first, but then it became about Rhuun and I felt all meh.

Right. There is a demon world, a human world. A door between. The door is no closed. Time moves differently for some reason. Humans are assholes. Poor demons (give me some faults please.) Poor Rhuun the prince is a loser. He wants to visit the human world, he obviously will. That part was dull.

Conclusion:
I wanted more than I was given. It had potential but did not come through. It left me disappointed. I only finished it cos I got it from NG. I would not recommend it.

ebook, dunno like 300?
Expected publication: May 19th 2015 by Booktrope
Powers of the Air #1
Fantasy
NG

45 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you were disappointed in this one. It doesn't sound like it's something I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same feeling about a novel recently, there was potential but it wasn't exploited... Sorry you were disappointed !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this feeling! The whole time you're reading you're just waiting for that extra something, and it's always a bit disappointing when it never comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt all bleh. Sigh. I am not a fan of waiting for something that never happens

      Delete
  4. I was curious about this one. It sounded funny. I'm sorry that it was a disappointment. I'm a big fan of world building too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When characters aren't developed right, it doesn't make me happy. Sorry this one left you wanting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a sucker for excellent worldbuilding too, so if that part's missing, I tend to get a little cranky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darn it. It sounded cool. Bad world building is one of my pet peeves so I will skip this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw sorry to hear this one left you wanting more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the review, the synopsis looks good, but...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mood killer: if you don't care about the book/characters either way. I've had those before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really sucks. If I can't care, why care to read?

      Delete
  11. I don't mind loser characters, but I want to see them redeem themselves. Sorry to hear that he remained a disappointment throughout.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sure be a loser at first but all the way? You feel so lame

      Delete
  12. sorry it wasn't more than that

    ReplyDelete
  13. Always disappointing when it has that potential and falls short :/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I'll skip this one...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry you did not enjoy this one more. The summary and cover sound promising I almost requested it. But I think I would wish for more world-building like you. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Boring cover of boringness.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rhuun does not sound like someone I need to meet. Especially if the worldbuilding is lacking.

    ReplyDelete
  18. After reading your review I can only say... Next!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, this book really did nothing for you, and it could have been so much fun from the blurb.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I REALLY have to stop buying books just by looking at the covers, lol! I would've said this one was a certain winner. Just comes to show ... it ain't about the cover!!! :D Loving you review, as always. Your style is like an adrenaline injection in the heart! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love covers too, to a fault. But they can be so pretty!!! ;)

      Hihi

      Delete
  21. Bummer! I had high hopes for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I hate went the premise is there and it looks good on the surface but lacks the depth..boo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like this one is definitely lacking. I don't think I'll waste my time on this. Thanks for your honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This one sounded to promising, too.....

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP