Tuesday 4 August 2015

2 Historical romances: Her Secret fantasy and The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie

Regency London's elegant ballrooms mask a daring world of erotic adventure. In this second novel in Gaelen Foley's Spicy Trilogy, a mysterious beauty with a devastating secret discovers, in the arms of a bold and fearless cavalry officer, passion that breaks all boundaries. 

Some say the aristocratic Balfour clan is cursed, a once-great family now in slow decline. Graceful Lily Balfour is her family's last hope, and she has come to London with one goal-to marry a rich man. Her well-laid plans are balked, however, by the irresistible Major Derek Knight, a handsome highborn soldier and adventurer newly returned from India. 

Hardened by battles on India's lawless frontiers, Derek is not just a fighter but a skilled and insatiable lover-a master of the Eastern arts of pleasure. Though Derek finds no shortage of willing women in London, it is the untouchable, aloof Lily who haunts him. After one stolen moment, he hungers for nights of sensual abandon to fulfill her fantasies and free her from her self-imposed prison. But he has come to England on a vital mission, and when Lily is pledged to a wealthy man suspected of corruption, Derek must thwart the treachery that ensnares them both-for only then will ecstasy and the sweet promise of her heart be his to claim. 

My thoughts:
Lily is old blood, but has no money. What is a lady of noble blood to do? Get a rich, hopefully stupid man. And she does manage to get the attention of a nobody with lots of money. And it's not like she is using him, he is using her right back. She is Ton. He is nothing. She has no money. He has money.

But that is not the way of a romance. Of course there needs to be drama.

The drama is named Derek. He is a good guy. Soldier through and through. Nowhere as rich as the guy she has on her hook. He is a player. She is pretty. He does want her.

So they start to fall even though they do not want to. But he is still all, I can't! And she is all, I must marry rich! And is everything ok with the guy she has on the hook?

Conclusion:
Yes a bit of drama. And the longest after the HEA ever, seriously, it went on and on and on. The book could have ended long before. Cute, light, fast. 

Cover
meh

Mass Market Paperback, 399 pages
Published November 27th 2007 by Ballantine Books
Spice Trilogy #2
Historical romance
Own

The year is 1881. Meet the Mackenzie family--rich, powerful, dangerous, eccentric. A lady couldn't be seen with them without ruin. Rumors surround them--of tragic violence, of their mistresses, of their dark appetites, of scandals that set England and Scotland abuzz. 

The youngest brother, Ian, known as the Mad Mackenzie, spent most of his young life in an asylum, and everyone agrees he is decidedly odd. He's also hard and handsome and has a penchant for Ming pottery and beautiful women. 

Beth Ackerley, widow, has recently come into a fortune. She has decided that she wants no more drama in her life. She was raised in drama--an alcoholic father who drove them into the workhouse, a frail mother she had to nurse until her death, a fussy old lady she became constant companion to. No, she wants to take her money and find peace, to travel, to learn art, to sit back and fondly remember her brief but happy marriage to her late husband. 

And then Ian Mackenzie decides he wants her. 

My thoughts:
I tried to read this book like a year ago, but could not. Not because it was not good, but because I got so mad. I do hate the falsely accused premise.

Still, I tried again. Since obviously it would all work out, and I just had to hate the guy accusing a long long time. And never forgive.

Ian was an aspie, but back then that would have meant he was just mad. With no explanation to why. Everyone knew he was mad, he thought he was mad. But the family loved him still.

Beth is a nobody, a widow, who inherited money from her employer. What I liked about her was that she was so accepting of him from the start.

But yes Ian is falsely accused of murder. And I still can't forgive the guy hounding him.

Conclusion:
A nice historical romance, and with a hero never really seen before. And yes I loved Ian, he was so logical. 

Cover
meh

Mass Market Paperback, 1st Edition, 320 pages
Published May 1st 2009 by Leisure Books
MacKenzies & McBrides, #1
Historical romance
Own

39 comments:

  1. Meh. That's a good word for today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to read The madness of Lord Ian someday, the title has always attracted me :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first book sounds pretty good, but too bad it didn't end sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A falsely accused premise is always hard for me as well, it causes me stress, but I so loved Ian! I'm glad you made it all the way through this time:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was all, do not hurt Ian! I could not stand someone accusing him

      Delete
  5. Sounds like it is good that you went back and gave that book another chance. The covers are really meh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been such a long time since I'd read a decent historica romance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha..the longest after the HEA ever..too funny Linda. OK, I want to meet Ian..I am adding it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The longest ever after HEA? What a drag. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to read the Ian Mackenzie book twice to get to okay I liked it! I read it a second time because so many raved about it and I thought I had missed it. Did like it better the 2nd time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange. But then I made it to p 60 the first time, and was so mad i quit

      Delete
  10. I read it years ago (checked GR - gave it 4/5 stars). I remember liking it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, I'm not okay with the fate of the poor guy she wanted to marry while having fun with the other one. Ew. The second one - yep, I sure haven't heard of such an MC in historical fiction. Will check it out :) Lovely reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean the first book? But the guy she wanted to marry was ok with it. He only wanted her for her connections. He could have a hundred mistresses on the side

      Delete
  12. I also love Ian, he's one of my favorite heroes in HR.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Read the Knight Series. Best of the series she has.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The dragged out ending in Her Secret Fantasy would probably really annoy me. I recently read a good historical that ended the same way. It sure left me a lot less impressed.
    The Madness... is on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so weird. I mean why was it necessary

      Delete
  15. Some pretty good potentials, there! But don't drag out the HEA, man.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I love Ian. I liked him as a secondary character more than in his own book but loved him there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the only one I have read :) Oh and a novella, but that was about him a lot too

      Delete
  17. I have heard such great things about MacKenzies & McBrides. I've also been told they are good on audiobook. But I am like you and hate falsely accused stories. Wonder if I could get though it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just have to go over a certain bump in the road, bu yes it was hard

      Delete
  18. Loved Ian, loved this one and yet I still haven't read book 2. Glad you tried again :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP