Monday 17 August 2015

The Drowning City and The Wayfarer Redemption reviews

Symir -- the Drowning City. home to exiles and expatriates, pirates and smugglers. And violent revolutionaries who will stop at nothing to overthrow the corrupt Imperial government.

For Isyllt Iskaldur, necromancer and spy, the brewing revolution is a chance to prove herself to her crown. All she has to do is find and finance the revolutionaries, and help topple the palaces of Symir. But she is torn between her new friends and her duties, and the longer she stays in this monsoon-drenched city, the more intrigue she uncovers -- even the dead are plotting. 

As the waters rise and the dams crack, Isyllt must choose between her mission and the city she came to save. 

My thoughts:
I do not really know how to review this one, how to rate this one. My problem was that I neither liked or disliked this book. I felt that it was rather forgettable.

What was my issue? See I did not care bout anyone. I got confused way too much. Suddenly someone new was talking. Suddenly someone was dead. And I was all, when did that happen? I also found myself not even knowing what I was reading at the moment. So I did not really care bout the story either.

But it had promise, I still plan to read book 2 as I have it. But, that but again, I just feel meh about it.

As for the story, she was there to cause rebellion. Did not feel she did so. She had some guy who worked for her (meh), some woman (meh). They met someone in the city (meh.) Seriously the only interesting person was this weird man who investigated stuff.

Conclusion:
So I say, meh.

Cover
Cool

Paperback, 351 pages
Published September 1st 2009 by Orbit
The Necromancer Chronicles #1
Fantasy
Own

A millennia-old prophecy was given when the Forbidden Ones were driven from Achar. And now, the Acharites witness its manifestation: Achar is under attack by an evil lord from the North, Gorgreal-his ice demons strike from the sky and kill hundreds of brave warriors in the blink of an eye.

All Acharites believe the end is near.

One young woman, Faraday, betrothed of Duke Borneheld, learns that all she has been told about her people's history is untrue. While fleeing to safety from the dangerous land, Faraday, rides with Axis, legendary leader of the Axe-Wielders-and hated half-brother of Borneheld-and a man Faraday secretly loves although it would be death to admit it. She embarks on a journey, which will change her life forever, in search of the true nature of her people.

This grand and heroic story tells the tale of one woman's plight to learn the truth of her people and change their hearts and their minds forever. She fights against oppressive forces to share this reality and will not desist until everyone knows. . . . . The truth of the Star Gate 

My thoughts:
Sigh. This is not the way you want to book 1 to end. With a feeling that I will not read more. Not even if the library had it!

The first 300 pages has promise. Even with the instalove. Seriously why are those two in love?!?! They did not really talk for a long time, they just are. Whatever.

The world was interesting. Humans pushed out two other races and forgot about them. Because humans are stupid. They all lived in harmony once. And now darkness is coming, and humans are still stupid. Seriously two other races, leave and let the humans rot.

The hero was...confused most of the time.

The heroine was a Mary Sue. Chosen, beautiful *eyeroll*

Then I started to get bored, then I started to skim. 

So for that ok first half it gets an ok. After that it just got boring and ridiculous . I would not recommend it.

Conclusion:
So I did what anyone would do, read reviews of the other 5 books so that I wont have to think about. It seems this is a trilogy that continues with another trilogy 40 years later. And that one sounded effed up, incest and all kind of weird stuff. Not to mention that this trilogy spirals out of control too 

Cover
Cool, but no one looked like that

Mass Market Paperback, 629 pages
Published September 17th 2001 by TOR Fantasy (first published July 5th 1995)
The Axis Trilogy #1
Fantasy
own

37 comments:

  1. Fair enough review, thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgettable is the worst! I would much rather downright hate a book than be indifferent because at least then it made me feel something. Sorry that first one was so "meh".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So the worst. The second book I hated at times ;)

      Delete
  3. Forgettable, then, oh well, there are plenty other books to read ! The first cover was good, though. Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh nooooo - the *meh* book. Those are the worst.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate books that leave me feeling lukewarm, neither here nor there. I much prefer despising a book. Anything is better than indifference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, The Drowning City looks so exciting, stinks it was meh. It's so hard to review "just okay" books.

    Sarah @ One Curvy Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  7. Drowning City sounded like it had potential so sad to hear it was just meh

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry you had a double meh on these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw too bad on both of these. So, I'm guessing the first one is meh? At least the cover is cool. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first one was meh, the second one annoying

      Delete
  10. I'm sorry you weren't thrilled with these books. I hate when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I applaud your honesty. It's not a good sign when a benign character is more interesting than the main ones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, in spite of everything, the first book sounds like something I'd like to check out. The second one though, ehhh, I have a very low tolerance for Mary Sues. And I just read a book with a "very special snowflake" character too, so I'm extra on edge these days.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did finish book 2 yesterday and that one was actually good, so there is hope

      But the second one I cannot recommend

      Delete
  13. Oh, man, you really are out of luck, aren't you? They both sound pretty bad... Sigh. But as I always say, there are plenty of other books just waiting for you to find them :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not have finished the second one if I hadn't been mistaken in thinking I had book 2.

      Delete
  14. Hmm, not for me..meh and bored are things I avoid..lol Wonderful honest reviews Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. That't too bad these disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Why does blogger hate me? I had posted a comment...ugh...I don't even remember what I said.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Drowning City.... I think I might have that on my shelves here.

    Bummer to hear about both of them. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are the books that are difficult to review. Those that you neither liked nor disliked. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ugh.. the blurb for that first book sounds so good, but just meh is disappointing. I'll see what you say about book 2!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP