Thursday 13 August 2015

Honor's Knight and Heaven's Queen - Rachel Bach

Devi Morris has a lot of problems. And not the fun, easy-to-shoot kind either. 

After a mysterious attack left her short several memories and one partner, she's determined to keep her head down, do her job, and get on with her life. But even though Devi's not actually looking for it -- trouble keeps finding her. She sees things no one else can, the black stain on her hands is growing, and she is entangled with the cook she's supposed to hate. 

But when a deadly crisis exposes far more of the truth than she bargained for, Devi discovers there's worse fates than being shot, and sometimes the only people you can trust are the ones who want you dead. 

My thoughts:
I started this one at once after finishing book 1. I wanted to know what would happen, and it was all noooooooo!

She forgot what she learned about the hidden danger in the universe. She forgot what her captain really is. She forgot about the people attacking them, whether they are good guys or not. She even forgot that she had the hots for the cook, and that he liked her back.

So we are back at square one. She knows nothing. She thinks that there is a secret on board. But will she figure it out? Oh and yes I mourned the lost romance. They clearly like each other, now there is nothing left! Sad.

As always there is plenty of action. Plenty of secrets. And the eternal question. Who is good, who is bad? I do not know anymore!

Conclusion:
What she now is....I do look forward to book 3. Better read that one at once too. A very cool series. 

Cover
eh

Paperback, US edition, 358 pages
Published February 25th 2014 by Orbit
Paradox #2
Sci-fi
Own

From the moment she took a job on Captain Caldswell's doomed ship, Devi Morris' life has been one disaster after another: government conspiracies, two alien races out for her blood, an incurable virus that's eating her alive. 

Now, with the captain missing and everyone -- even her own government -- determined to hunt her down, things are going from bad to impossible. The sensible plan would be to hide and wait for things to blow over, but Devi's never been one to shy from a fight, and she's getting mighty sick of running. 

It's time to put this crisis on her terms and do what she knows is right. But with all human life hanging on her actions, the price of taking a stand might be more than she can pay. 

My thoughts:
I think this one was the weakest link, which still does not mean it was bad. just not as good. The other two bordered on awesome, while this one was just too ...action. Too much action. That one thing I fear about when it comes to sci-fi.

So like I said it was pretty much non-stop action. What I liked more about the two earlier books was the ship, and relationships between them all. The secrets! How she was all is Rupert bad or nice? Here he was kind of lame because he was all lovey dovey.

Action, action! Bad guys are after them. Fight fight. Who is good, who is bad? What are the weird monsters? What do the squids really want? More action.

Conclusion:
I have enjoyed the series, but yes I would have wished for less action here.

Cover
eh

Paperback, US edition, 379 pages
Published April 22nd 2014 by Orbit
Paradox #3
Sci-fi
Own

35 comments:

  1. Today is my Friday!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually quite like the covers for these books. Oh how I wish I have your appetite to read Sci-Fi! It's a good series over all, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, mostly a very good series, then ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why did she forget? Banged her head? Alien body snatch? Love the covers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spoilers darling, spoilers, but it is a good one

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you're enjoying these books! You absolutely have to read them back-to-back but they're so worth it. Hope you enjoy the Grand Finale!(:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does she eventually remember all that she forgot? Those types of stories are always so hard for me to read, them forgetting causes me stress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eventually yes. It helps to show which assholes they are

      Delete
  7. Too much action is as bad as too much romance. Just sayin'. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like one I'll skip. The way you talk about #2 makes #1 seem pointless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not pointless. It helps to show that her "friends" can not be trusted

      Delete
  9. I do enjoy scifi and so need to check these out. I especially like that you got so involved with the second book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is that the end of the series or will there be more?

    Too bad it got worse with each book.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the end, quite sad, she could have done more, and not rushed things

      Delete
  11. Yay, two reviews at once. I really liked this trilogy, pure popcorn read and I had a bit of a problem with the pacing of the romance too, but hey can't complain too much with a fun one like this :)

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pacing was off, but who cares, it was fun :) And I enjoyed it. WOuld make a cool tv show too

      Delete
  12. Is there more after the third book? Sounds like a series I'd really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gah now I want to know what she forgot and who he is.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hate when they lose their memories and here it sounds particularly annoying since she has to rediscover what she already figured out. Yeah, that's my pet peeve with sci-fi too. I'd like some story with my action please. Also, ugh on overly lovey dovey. Why must someone in love lose their personality?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that it caused drama again, but still....

      Yes! Story with action.

      He turned SO weird

      Delete
  15. Where there's too much action, there's not enough character development. Unless the books is over 800 pages, in which case... Lol. It's hard to strike the right balance. Have an amazing weekend, Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True.

      Ha, yeah not that big. And even those big ones can lack that.

      Delete
  16. Damn work and school making me behind in commenting. hmmmm
    But the first one sounds interesting. Second one, meh.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP