Friday 7 August 2015

The last embrace - Pam Jenoff



August 1940 and 16-year-old refugee Addie escapes Fascist Italy to live with her aunt and uncle in Atlantic City. As WW2 breaks, she finds acceptance and love with Charlie Connelly and his family.

But war changes everything: secrets and passions abound, and when one brother’s destructive choices lead to the tragic death of another, the Connelly family is decimated, and Addie along with them.

Now 18, she flees, first to Washington and then to war-torn London where she is swept up with life as a correspondent. But when Charlie, now a paratrooper, re-appears, Addie discovers that the past is impossible to outrun. Now she must make one last desperate attempt to find within herself the answers that will lead the way home. 

My thoughts:
This is the story of Addie, who flees Italy to go live with her aunt and uncle. Her family is Jewish, and even if she does not know the fate of them, the rest of us sure know what could happen.

In Philadelphia she meets the Connelly family, and feels like one of them. She also has a crush on one of the sons. 

We get to see pre-war USA and the tensions it causes. Not to mention how she as a Jew should stick to her neighborhood, and not go to the Irish one. People do not mix.  Only with your own kind, race, country.

But that is only one part of the story. There is also Washington after a tragedy in Philly. And London later on. I liked the London part as it took us closer to the war.

As for Addie. She loved and never forgot. But this is not a romance. I never even knew who I wanted her to be with. First love is good, but true forever?

Conclusion:
There is this other Jenoff book I want to try now, it sounds so good, and I do enjoy her style.

Cover
Nice

Paperback, 384 pages
Expected publication: August 13th 2015 by MIRA
Historical fiction
For review

31 comments:

  1. I've somehow stayed away from war stories so far, don't know how that ended up happening... but this book seems pretty good. Think i'll try it out :)

    Naga Sanctuary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried a war here and there, there is always sadness so that is..sad

      Delete
  2. Just came from reading a review of another book The Last Summer at Chelsea Beach and it was very enticing. Need to read her books at some point. Don't care if there is little romance, sometimes books don't need it. But mostly it adds to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not care either :) I just wanted more stuff so was a bit sad over that, lol.

      I should read that one of yours

      Delete
  3. Ive read just one of her books and liked it very much. This one has a very nice background to it as well. Prewar USA is a bit new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me too, I have brushed by it in a few books before, but not like this

      Delete
  4. New author for me but this sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New to me but glad that you liked her writing style

    ReplyDelete
  6. First loves are good but...go and see what's out there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some interesting themes in this one that make it stand out. I expect the backdrop will make a nice read as well. Lovely. Have a great weekend, Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm repelled by the sadness of war, yet, it all happened not so long ago, to people we know that lived then. I should try it someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I do enjoy these kinds of reads from time to time. I think I'll have to check out this author.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the cover and you have me curious about the story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's such a gorgeous cover. I'd pick it up just for that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just picked up a book by her, so I'm excited to read it. Considering it'll be my first. It does sound like she's got a niche as the book I've picked and this one sounds a bit alike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that :D Enjoy! I am sure they are not too alike...I hope!

      Delete
  13. I think I'd like this one and I love the cover. I have another Pam Jenoff on a bookshelf somewhere, still unread. *Sigh* bad me

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP