Tuesday 11 August 2015

Fortune's Pawn - Rachel Bach

Devi Morris isn't your average mercenary. She has plans. Big ones. And a ton of ambition. It's a combination that's going to get her killed one day - but not just yet. 

That is, until she just gets a job on a tiny trade ship with a nasty reputation for surprises. The Glorious Fool isn't misnamed: it likes to get into trouble, so much so that one year of security work under its captain is equal to five years everywhere else. With odds like that, Devi knows she's found the perfect way to get the jump on the next part of her Plan. But the Fool doesn't give up its secrets without a fight, and one year on this ship might be more than even Devi can handle.

My thoughts:
I did say I wanted to try more sci-fi, and this was more of the kick-ass variation. I know some said it was romance too, but I would not say that. The "romance" was such a tiny part.  Even a kick-ass woman wants to have fun too.

Devi is a merc who wants to rise in the ranks. She went from soldier to mercenary and she is aiming high. The king's guards. But do get there you have to spend like 20 years showing your worth. And a mercenary never lives long. I did like her drive. And when she got the opportunity to work 1 year on the most cursed ship in the galaxy she took it. So she was driven. She loved her guns, armour. She loved her job.

What I liked about the book was that mystery why the ship was so cursed. How did they always end up in sticky situations? What is going on with the crew? The hot guy? I kept rooting for her. And wanting to know more.

Conclusion:
In the end what we have is a kick-ass sci-fi book. Mysteries, a tiny but of romance and an interesting world. Her homeworld was the best. I loved the whole feudal, godking advanced society. Very cool.

Cover
works

Paperback, US edition, 320 pages
Published November 5th 2013 by Orbit
Paradox #1
Sci-fi
Own

40 comments:

  1. Sign me up for a kick ass sci fi book for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a lot of fun when I read it, I hope you enjoy the rest of the trilogy just as much. Oh and you must read her book Nice Dragons Finish Last (under her name Rachel Aaron)! :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do want to read that one! But I am so bummed that it is e-book only

      Delete
  3. I've always wanted to try more Sci-fi as well. But it's rare to find out that I can easily dive into. I do like the sound of this, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started something today, and even though it is good, it was not as cool as this

      Delete
  4. Yay, glad to hear about the kick ass sci fi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a huge fan of sci-fi but I do love kick ass mercenaries :-)

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have to remember this one for the next time I'm in the mood for scifi. I like that it has a good mystery and not much romance. Sounds a bit like the show Killjoys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is up with blogger and these crazy many comments thing...

      I watched one ep, meh

      Delete
    2. I don't know! I'm sorry about that. Yeah that's how I feel about mist syfy shows.

      Delete
    3. I did like Dark matter though

      Delete
  9. This sounds good. I just mentioned on another blog that I usually don't read much sci fi but I might try a few.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds great, while sci fi is not always my genre I do like kick ass heroines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been getting more and more into it

      Delete
  11. Sounds interesting and I don't have to have a romance in this genre

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds interesting and I don't have to have a romance in this genre

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds interesting and I don't have to have a romance in this genre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here :) I did like the tiny part of it though ;)

      Delete
    2. The other night I used my phone to comment, and every blogspot blog i visited got three comments. so freakin' weird

      Delete
  14. It sounds pretty awesome! She's one character I know for sure I'd like :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds good, and it reminds me a bit of Gini Koch's space series.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yeah, it looks good, I'm in !

    ReplyDelete
  17. That cover is very "2001: A Space Odyssey"...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah for SciFi! :D We are both getting into more. :D I do like the sounds of this one and need to give it a try one day. :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP