Tuesday 10 January 2012

Review: The Heretic Queen - Michelle Moran

Genre: Historical Fiction
Pages: 404
Published: 2008
Publisher: Crown
Source: My own

In ancient Egypt, a forgotten princess must overcome her family’s past and remake history.

The winds of change are blowing through Thebes. A devastating palace fire has killed the Eighteenth Dynasty’s royal family–with the exception of Nefertari, the niece of the reviled former queen, Nefertiti. The girl’s deceased family has been branded as heretical, and no one in Egypt will speak their names. Nefertari is pushed aside, an unimportant princess left to run wild in the palace. But this changes when she is taken under the wing of the Pharaoh’s aunt, then brought to the Temple of Hathor, where she is educated in a manner befitting a future queen.

Soon Nefertari catches the eye of the Crown Prince, and despite her family’s history, they fall in love and wish to marry. Yet all of Egypt opposes this union between the rising star of a new dynasty and the fading star of an old, heretical one. While political adversity sets the country on edge, Nefertari becomes the wife of Ramesses the Great. Destined to be the most powerful Pharaoh in Egypt.

My thoughts:

I could gush a lot since this was a good book but I will try to keep it simple. 

Michelle Moran is good at was this does. She manages to bring history to life and she writes about the most fascinating women. In this book we meet Nefertari, the favorite wife of Ramsesses the great. Moran mentions that since so little is known she takes liberties, but she does it well. I could see these things happen. People have always liked power and playing with other lives. 

It's a good book that tells the story of how she married the pharaoh and how she tries to keep one step ahead of his other wife, Iset. There are political intrigues, dangers, but also love. It's an interesting story that kept me hooked even though I knew the story and have read book about Ramses before. But every story is unique and brings something new into play. 

As for the title, that is not about Nefertari, but about Nefertiti and oh you will see. 

Conclusion:
What else can I say, it was a good historical book and I am sure fans of this genre would love this book. And now I will wait for her next book to publish since I have read all that she has written. 

 I will end with an inscription on her burial wall that truly sums of his love for her:
"My Love is unique and none can rival her....Just by passing, she has stolen away my heart." 

Now that just breaks my heart. So beautiful.

Cover:
Lovely


45 comments:

  1. The cover definitely looks like it fits the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you liked it. Personally I am not convinced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww that is heartbreakingly beautiful. Great, simple review. =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. DEFINITELY.ADDING.THIS.TO.MY.LIST!!!!!! I love historical fiction books and this one just sounds facinating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been dying to read some of these books--I've always been intrigued by Ancient Egypt, but haven't really read many fiction books about it (though I want to!). Maybe this will be me first foray into the genre! :D

    And I love the quote from her burial wall--yes, even without me knowing the rest of the story, I can see the love!

    Enjoy,
    TBQ
    http://tbqspersonalbookpalace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to read more historical fiction. Fantastic review. I wish I was reading this one right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I almost used this as my post for today as well. It's on my TBR list. Now that I've read your review, I really, really want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this one as well. If you haven't already, you should read Nefertiti. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris
    They did well there :)

    Ana
    Oh, I know that, this is not for you. You think too much ;)


    Carole
    I know, so beautiful, sigh, I wish someone said that about me


    Deanna
    Hihi, yay! It is really good and i recommend all of Moran's books

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds great! I think I have this one in my review pile so now I am really excited!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you liked it. I have it on my shelf and hope to read it soon. Michelle Moran is a wonderful author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant! Nice review -- you have me SO needing this book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one of her books that I have not read yeet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds interesting. I've dabbled in some HR but never Ancient Egypt.
    It's sad when we run through our favorite authors entire library. Lot's of waiting around until the next book now :-(

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never read anything set during those times. Now I want this book! I'm adding it to my TBR. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awe. Sounds like they shared an incredible love, even if he did have another wifey. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. TBQ
    So lovely, what a quote. He must have loved her dearly :)

    And yes I think this could be a good one to start with, since it is an easy book into Egypt and its history. I do recommend it and it's predecessor, Nefertiti



    Linda
    Yes you must! Better check your library


    Dana
    Ohh, I hope you read it soon then :D


    Anna
    I have. So now I have read all of her books and I am looking forward to the next one

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amused
    Yay, I sure hope you do


    Mary
    She truly is great. I am yet to read a book by her that I did not like,


    Audra
    Lol, that is a lot of a's. Yes you do need this one


    Nise
    No? Then you better get cracking.


    Anna
    It was a wonderful book


    Karen
    But then she is a new author so she has only 4 books out so far, but more to come so that is great.


    Bookcat
    I just saw that on GR. I do hope you get to read it and like it as I did

    ReplyDelete
  19. Missie
    Make that several other wives ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been wanting to read this author for a while, Ive heard good things.
    I like that final inscription. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was the first book I read from her and absolutely loved it! But I read anything to do with Ramses ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for a great review on a wonderful subject.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, how I love Michelle's books! I loved this one too. I'm just starting her newest one and I can't imagine it being anything but great too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh that is such a sweet inscription. Oh man, you have added another to my list!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is a very moving epitaph! Especially coming from a pharaoh. I enjoy Moran's books as well and the women she writes about.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh I've heard amazing things of this book. So glad to see you loved it so much too. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've got several of her books and really need to read one. It sounds like she does a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed this one so much as I have two of this author's books waiting patiently to be read on my shelves. I've heard lots of good things about her and I'm hoping to read one of those books soon :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This one has been on my wishlist forever. I really must get around to buying it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I wonder... did she die young or old?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Cherry
    I am not telling you that..but think about this. People did not live long back then so she lived for a long time. Though not as long as R who died at 90

    ReplyDelete
  32. Okay, so this one is definitely going on my TBR list. You've got me so curious about it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Naida
    Thanks, and yes you really should read her books :)


    Elysium
    Hihi, same here. Ever since I read Christian Jaqc's books.


    Mystica
    I am glad you enjoyed it


    Darlene
    I am sure you will love that one too. But I do see now that her newer books are darker in a way, more real


    Melissa
    Well mouwhhahahahahahahah

    ReplyDelete
  34. Steph
    Especially from a man like that :)


    Melissa
    It was good, but then I have liked all her books so far.


    bemuda
    You havenn't read one? Oh get cracking then :)


    Samantha
    I am glad to hear that since she is a wonderful author and I am sure you will enjoy the books you got.


    Vivienne
    I got it...oh was it a year ago? But I finally read it now



    YA queen
    Yay, I am glad to hear that

    ReplyDelete
  35. I have two of her books but have yet to read them!! Shame on me...must get to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame on you! Shame shame shame, lol. I do hope you get to them soon ;)

      Delete
  36. Great review! I completely agree with you and I enjoyed this book as well. I think the only book of hers I haven't read yet is Madame Tussaud and I plan to remedy that soon!

    Amber
    The Musings of ALMYBNENR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one was good, and it sure made me realize that I so would not want to live in that era...but then all books by her have made me grateful for living when I do

      Delete
  37. I could also gush over Michelle Moran's work, she's one of my favourite historical fiction writers. So glad you loved it too! I'm excited about The Second Empress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it does not always happen that I like all of an author's books but it happened here :) I do look forward to TSE too

      Delete
  38. Oh Oh Oh!

    A good Historical? I am so putting this on my TBR, I have been in such a Historical Fiction and/or Historical Romance mood lately. I don't know why--maybe the cold weather :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, so the cold weather makes you want to go back in time, to the good old scary days ;)

      Delete
  39. Sounds good, I have always liked Egyptian history.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP