Thursday 19 January 2012

Review: A Woman Worth Ten Coppers - Morgan Howell

Series: Shadowed Path #1
Genre: Fantasy(romance)
Pages: 324
Published: 2008
Publisher: Del Rey
Source: My own
Seer, healer, goddess, slave–she is all these things and more.
Yim is a young woman suddenly cast into slavery, a gifted seer with a shocking secret–and a great destiny. Honus is a Sarf, a warrior dedicated to the service of the compassionate goddess Karm. A Sarf’s sole purpose is to serve a holy person called a Bearer. But Honus’ s Bearer has been killed by the minions of an evil god known only as the Devourer. Masterless and needing someone to bear his pack, Honus purchases Yim for the price of ten coppers–and their fates are forever entwined.

My thoughts:
The book had a strange feeling to it, it was not epic fantasy, it felt like fantasy romance, without the romance. Just these hints of romance and feelings.

Yim is chosen by the Goddess and she does her best to follow her path. Though she does have these TSTL moments. They travel to a dark and desolate landscape and even though she already was in a jam earlier she still gets in trouble and needs to be rescued. I still like her because she is not truly TSTL, she just seem way too innocent and naive. I would thought she had learnt her lesson. Anyway, she ends up being a slave to Honus. Now he is good man who served a holy guy, still one would think he would be nicer to his slave, or at least tell her he would free her later or something. Instead he eyes her with lust, not very nice then now is he. But in the end Honus is a good man, his ego just seem to be a bit too big.

Yes you guessed it, these two will obviously get feelings for each other. You know it all the time. Under the mean time they travel through a dark world, a world which I liked because it was truly creepy and dark. A dark god is gaining powers and the world is going to hell. 

And then there is the big secret. She has a secret. He is going to where she should go as he also serve the Goddess. Does she tell him? No. One would think it would get her out of slavery and make her more comfortable so that she does not need to fear rape and getting sold. But yes yes Goddess, secrets and all that jazz.

Conclusion:
Enjoyable. I just wish I had not read the blurb for the 2nd book cos there I figured something out and then I checked book 3. Yeesh, depressing.

Cover:
Lovely

29 comments:

  1. I don't think this one is for me. I love your honest look at it though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...I normally don't read fantasy, but this one looks good. I hate it when blurbs give stuff away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooh, very dark. Sounds like a pretty good book. However, I may pass this one up. Great review...of course. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Felicia
    I fear I have gotten more critical with the new year

    Bucky
    It was not that it gave it away, but from one word there I just guessed it

    Carole
    It was darkish yes, but still not dark...very strange

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been planning to read this series for a while, just haven't gotten around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hm. TSTL moments are always problematic for me, but at least she's not actually TSTL, she just has brief moments - that's something:) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sally
    I was lucky to get it from bookmooch but I realize now that to read book 2 and so need book 3 ready


    Jenny
    No, she just has tstl issues ;) Cos some of the things she gets caught in, yeah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice review Blodeuedd, but it is not appealing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A romantic fantasy with very little romance? But I need my romance laid on thick! Maybe the next book will have more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. *waves weakly back*


    Aurian
    I do get that


    Missie
    Perhaps it is not romantic fantasy, but I just got this feeling cos it was too much feelings going on

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no, TSTL moments! Not good. I'm allergic for those.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Janna
    Lol, you and me both ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting. I don't think I've heard of this book before. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting one...I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm afraid I get immediately turned off by TSTL moments. Can't stomach too many of those before just condemning the book outright.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blurbs give away too many secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not something I'd normally read, but it sounds good. I hate when the blurb ruins the storyline.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Melissa
    I do like my fantasy in all shapes and forms, even if I prefer the epic kind.


    Yvonne
    I know, it is stunning.


    Steph
    I could forgive her cos she did want to escape, or save people but still...


    Vivienne
    Why do they do it? It is so stupid.

    Naida
    They really should make better ones

    ReplyDelete
  19. I kind of like the sound of this one and I do like the cover. Yikes, you should never read the blurbs of the upcoming books even though it is so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Darlene
    I thought it would be safe to read it for book 2 since I would have read it anyway when reading the book.- But the plot for the rest was easy to figure out..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haha, the end of your review is so cryptic! WHAT DID YOU FIND OUT?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really nice cover! By that alone I might have bought the book. But after reading your review, I don't think I would be reading this book or this series at all... I hate annoyingly stupid protagonists, no patience for it whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aarti
    I am NEVER telling ;)


    Cherry
    I could understand it, she was a slave after all...but then again he mostly treated her well, and they were going to a good place. yeah

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love that you read such a varied array of books. This one doesn't do anything for me but oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Staci
    That is what I love :) I could never read just one genre

    ReplyDelete
  26. Stories about women forced into slavery just don't appeal to me, even if they find true love along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm glad that you enjoyed the book overall. I'm sorry that you had some spoilers occur when you read the cover blurbs from the next two books. I've noticed that I don't read the cover blurbs anymore for the book I'm about to read, I just pick it up and read it...I discovered that I actually tend to enjoy the books better that way.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Simcha
    I can't say they appeal to me either :/


    Deanna
    I can't do that :/ I am very anal about reading the blurb, I crave it

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP