Tuesday 17 January 2012

Review: Warbreaker - Brandon Sanderson

Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 600
Published: Dec 2011 (2009)
Publisher: Gollancz
Source: For review


Warbreaker is the story of two sisters, who happen to be princesses, the God King one of them has to marry, the lesser god who doesn’t like his job, and the immortal who’s still trying to undo the mistakes he made hundreds of years ago.

Their world is one in which those who die in glory return as gods to live confined to a pantheon in Hallandren’s capital city and where a power known as BioChromatic magic is based on an essence known as breath that can only be collected one unit at a time from individual people.

By using breath and drawing upon the color in everyday objects, all manner of miracles and mischief can be accomplished. It will take considerable quantities of each to resolve all the challenges facing Vivenna and Siri, princesses of Idris; Susebron the God King; Lightsong, reluctant god of bravery, and mysterious Vasher, the Warbreaker.

My thoughts:
Brandon Sanderson is a master world builder, but here it is the magic system that he builds with thought and precision. The world is of course still well built, but the magic, oh the magic just blows you away. I will not even try to explain it, he does it much better. But to simplify, everyone has got breaths, if you got more then you can use those for magic. There is also this thing about colors and how some have returned to life. But yes just read the book. Or else I will spend the rest of this review on the magical system in this world.

It's a world where the Returned and the Godking with his priests rules the kingdom we see most of. They are terrible and worships people who have come back to life. At least that is what our heroines from Idris think. Siri, is young and out of control, but in any other country she would just be filled with life. I liked her because she was real, human. While her sister Vivienne is collected and does her duty well. One of them will marry the terrible Godking to save their country from war.

The story is about these two sisters who are trying to survive and do what is best. It's also about a mysterious stranger called Vasher whom I do not know if I should trust or not when he is skulking about. And it is about Lifesong, one of the Returned. He died, he came back, and he is a God with doubts. My favorite character was Siri because just of the way her story went, which I will tell you no more about. I also liked the Lifesong bits since the whole concept about these Gods was so interesting. But then Viv's story took me for a few surprises too. All in all making all the characters so much more than I would have thought. It is a book about changes, freedom, doubt, misconceptions and more.

This book is it, yes there are no trilogy or 10 books to wait for. You will get a conclusion in it so that is a big plus for me. It's nice with a one book fantasy "series" once in a while.

Conclusion:
It was good and the magic, oh he creates it so well. Where does he come up with these ideas? I do love Brandon Sanderson's books.

Cover:
Not a big fan of the cover

28 comments:

  1. This does sound like a very good book! I like that it is one book instead of a huge series and that also explains why it's 600 pages with all the world building you talked about. I'm ganna put it on my TBR list and see when I can get to it. :-D Glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not wild about the cover either, but the book as you described it sounds marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holey Moley---600 pages! You are a ROCK STAR!

    I am a fan of the fantasy that is just one book. As someone who got sucked into the Wheel of Time Series and now Game of Thrones---I can appreciate the stand alone!

    PS--Fantasy covers hardly EVER wow me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is on my to-read list. I have to admit that one of its attractive qualities, aside form the story itself, is that it's a stand-alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried this author's work before and he does seem to build very fantastic worlds. But I got disappointed with the ending of the trilogy. It was a let down. Maybe I ought to try this author again with this book since this one is not a trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was't interested until you described some of the magic bits. Never read Sanderson and this seems to be a good one to start with. Thanks B :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you like the book so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You realize that you've already blown away the Big Books Challenge? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adored the one Sanderson book I read. I need to read more of his stuff. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deanna
    It manages that which other books drag out. A good world, and still a conclusion of events :D


    Audra
    It is..meh, I like the cover Dos Santos made more.


    Felicia
    Lol, everyone says that but for me it was truly nothing :) When I was 10 I read the continued Gone with the Winds, i do remember those 800 pages.


    Carol
    It's comforting. You know there will be an ending and NOT 12 more books..which can be daunting

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cherry
    Was it Mistborn? Cos yes...I kind of hated the ending there, I talk hate hate hate. It felt like huge letdown. I still hate the ending.


    Jenny G
    He is so good at what he does :D Now if he only could finish the series that I love


    Aurian
    I sure did :D


    Chris
    LOL! I know I know, but, I always read big books so that is no challenge to me ;) And trust me, more will come...lots more

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda
    He is good :D I need to read more, but have read it all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like great world building. I don't tend to read this genre, but he does seem like an author to look out for.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You don't get many stand alone fantasy books these days! SOunds interesting - I might take a look!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never read any of his books but have heard how great they are. This one certainly sounds worth reading. I like that it stands on it's own and that you actually get a conclusion to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds like a very different magic system - breaths as magic. Hmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  17. YES! :D I really loved this book, and Brandon soooo could come back to this world. And I would love to see more of the world, with this amazing magic he's created.

    I like that this is a stand alone, but there are possiblities to more. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You know you sold me with it being one book. Huge book, but nice it's all at once. Plus, this one sounds delish! Yes, I need to eat. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've seen where you have really enjoyed all of his other books so I feel like I have to try him one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, I need to get on this Sanderson train! I've only read Elantris by him and liked it, but didn't LOVE it. Seems like he's worth another go, though!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm not a fan of the cover either. I've never read Brandon Sanderson so thanks for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I must disagree, I kinda like the cover. I have no clue why, but its very original and interesting. *ponders*

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like the cover too. Mindblowing magic and excellent world building - what more could you ask for.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Naida
    I do love my fantasy books :) I have since day one and he has a lot of potential.


    Mel
    I can mention...*thinks* *thinks a bit more* Well....this one ;)


    Darlene
    I do love that too because it feels so good to read a book and get an ending. Instead of waiting years for that conclusion that you want so badly.


    Stephs
    I like how he always does something new :D


    Melissa
    There sure are. Like whatever happens to...someone on the road *coughs*. That would be great adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Melissa Books
    Huge, nah, just think how it would look in a series. Then they would be all this big and only get bigger. All 13 of them ;)


    Staci
    You are always saying you want to go back *nudge* *nudge*


    Aarti
    The one I like the best though was *blackout* The new series, honestly, total blackout over here. There is a guy with a spear on the cover. Anyway, my fav.


    Alexis
    It is just..eh


    Carole
    Some do like it but for me it it just a bit too artistic


    Vivienne
    Exactly :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this book and I wish he's write more stand-alone fantasies like it. Though I also loved The Way of Kings I hate having to wait years for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Not fan of the cover but it sounds good. And I just ordered it :) It's about time to get my first Brandon Sanderson book!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Simcha
    I hear you, and what is he doing now, writing 3 series at once. Nooo do not do that to us. So yes standalone books would be awesome


    Elysium
    My goodness, I hope you like it :D

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP