Thursday 5 January 2012

Review: The Summoner - Gail Z.Martin

Series: Chronicles of the Necromancer #1
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 637
Published: 2007
Publisher: Solaris
Source: Bought
The comfortable world of Martris Drayke, second son of King Bricen of Margolan, is shattered when his older half-brother, Jared, and Jared's dark mage, Foor Arontala, kill the king and seize the throne. Tris is the only surviving member of the royal family aside from Jared the traitor. Tris flees with three friends: Soterius, captain of the guard; Carroway, the court's master bard; and Harrtuck, a member of the royal guard. Tris harbors a deep secret. In a land where spirits walk openly and influence the affairs of the living, he suspects he may be the mage heir to the power of his grandmother, Bava K'aa, once the greatest sorceress of her age. Such magic would make Tris a Summoner, the rarest of magic gifts, capable of arbitrating between the living and the dead.

My thoughts:
Another good fantasy book, but then I knew that from the start. It was the kind that I enjoy, a good adventure, friends on the run and wicked bad guys.

I do like this kind of fantasy where the young man (or woman) is on the run or something like that. He dodges bad guys and tries to come to terms with his power. And there are always a good set of side characters. I can't say who my favorite here is cos they all have different things to offer, but I do think I want more of the young captain of the guard. There is magic and new things to discover, and this book has vampires, yes I liked that too. I also liked the aspects of the Goddess that they worship. A good new world, a nice hero, and a world to root for.

And then we have the bad guy, oh bad guy, you silly thing. The bad guy in this one, Jared, thinks he is so big and bad. Little does he know that he is just a puppet. But he is a bad guy, so evil and sadistic. A true creep, and the evil guy behind him. Him I would look out for. Those guys, well stay away from them.

The pages just flew by, it was such an easy book to read. And I know many of you fear books as long as this one but honestly it did not feel that long cos I could read it fast. Some books are just that easy.

Conclusion:
A good start to this series and I do want more. The ending was not a cliffie either so that I am grateful for. Everyone is happy...for now *insert music of doom*

Cover:
It looks a bit better when you see it for real

----------------------

Yes, another guestpost ;) What can I say, I like doing them. And yesterday I was over at At home with books and talked about the worst and best of Janet Evanovich


32 comments:

  1. I don't read a lot of fantasy but this sounds like a really good read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Blodeuedd, I'd like to read this one, I like this easy fantasy. On the wishlist it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds really good. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love a good bad guy. =D Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MRS Q
    It was such a good read :)


    Aurian
    Yay, and it was sure easy. Sure I like all sorts, but sometimes I just want the words to flow

    Thanks Linda!


    Carole
    He was so evil, hated his guts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes. I need my story to go fast if it's 600+ pages. And it seems all bad boys now a days have some good in them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Missie,
    Oh I need to go change that! No no! He is all bad, I would not touch him with a 50 mile long stick

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never heard of this before but it sounds good! *runs to put it on wishlist*

    ReplyDelete
  9. How come the Law and Order sound just went through my head....


    LOL :)

    I like the happy for now moments---if it is a series, I like it to end on an up note at the end of each book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never heard of this either. I think I will read it for sure. Thanks for a very nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You should do orannia's Big Book Challenge - you would have no trouble with it! And maybe her Local Library Challenge, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had picked up this book at the second-hand bookstore a few weeks ago but haven't yet felt moved to read it. Seeing as you enjoyed it so much I think I'm going to make an effort to start it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this one sounds good. I would like to get back to fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this one sounds like a good book for me. Will you stop it? You are loading my wishlist up to the brim!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, you know I've added it to my Want list after talking with you about it on Twitter. :) Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you again for doing the guest post! Your review posts make me wish I read more fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great article about Evanovich. I still need to catch up on her series.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it when a bad guy isn't actually as bad as he thinks he is, or in this case is just a puppet controlled by someone else. Having those kinds of layers is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. At 637 pages - if it went fast for you then it must be quite the entertaining story!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Elysium
    I even saw it at Suomalainen you know ;) Though only book 2,3 and 4, So silly, who do they do that? And now only book 4 was left.


    Felicia
    Hihi, now I hear it too.

    Happy for now is good, even if I know it will get worse, then at least for now there is peace.


    Ana
    For sure, I like it :) Just be gentle, lol


    Chris
    Hihi, I am sure I would do well. I love chunksters

    ReplyDelete
  21. Simcha
    Do give it a go, it is fantasy in teh old fashioned style. A good hero, and not one of those jaded assassins, which I love too. But you know the style. Adventure, good guys and so on.


    Staci
    yes please come back


    Melissa
    I will NEVER stop it
    LOL!


    Melissa MY
    Honestly you two always come in after each other...spoooky!
    Yay, I am sure you would like it too

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for having me over Alyce :D
    I love doing guest posts.


    Yvonne
    Thanks :D


    Alyssa
    I like that too, of course he is really bad, but not as bad as the guy he thinks he controls. And it will only get worse.


    Steph
    Really fast, sometimes that just happens and I do not what makes it so

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the cover and now I think I want to read this one. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Page size can be daunting, but if the story is good, then it won't matter. Adding this to the tbr :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm glad you enjoyed this one so much. I like books where people are on the run too as it adds so much more to the action and you need to find what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This does sound like a good adventure, especially if you didn't notice the length.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've had this author on my to read list for awhile now. This sounds like a good read so I'm off to add it to my TBR list. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ryan
    Thanks :) It was a good book


    jenny G
    Yay, and do not let page size fool you. Sometimes they are the fastest ones to read.


    Darlene
    Exactly, there is always danger around and you never know what will happen.


    Naida
    Only when I held the book ;)


    Samantha
    I hope you read her books cos at least this one showed her to be good

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've been eye-balling this book for like forever... but it never made it to the cheap secondhand market yet :(

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yep, another one I'll be adding to my TBR list. This is not a good start to my 2012...already adding a ton of other books to my TBR list. :-( LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Deanna
    Oh you know I am evil ;)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP