Tuesday 3 January 2012

Review: Seven Princes - John R. Fultz

Series: Books of the shaper #1
Genre: fantasy
Pages: 600
Published: January 3, 2012
Publisher: Orbit
Source: netgalley

It is an Age of Legends. Under the watchful eye of the Giants, the kingdoms of Men rose to power. Now, the Giant-King has slain the last of the Serpents and ushered in an era of untold peace and prosperity. Where a fire-blackened desert once stood, golden cities flourish in verdant fields. It is an Age of Heroes. But the realms of Man face a new threat-- an ancient sorcerer slaughters the rightful King of Yaskatha before the unbelieving eyes of his son, young Prince D'zan. With the Giant-King lost to a mysterious doom, it seems that no one has the power to stop the coming storm.

It is an Age of War. The fugitive Prince seeks allies across the realms of Men and Giants to liberate his father's stolen kingdom. Six foreign Princes are tied to his fate. Only one thing is certain: War is coming. SEVEN PRINCES. Some will seek glory. Some will seek vengeance. All will be legends.


My thoughts:
When I read this book I kept thinking that this book will get a conclusion, cool. And it did. Everything ended all nicely, but then, oh yes then there was that one loose thread and I realized that this is a series. But is felt like a different sort of series since it did have an ending. No cliffie at all (sort of.)

The story also felt kind of old school, and I love old school fantasy. A prince flees as an evil sorcerer kills everyone he holds dear. On his trip north he meets more princes and together they will fight this evil. D’Zan who we meet first is the hero on the run, a scared prince who grows. I liked him, because who would not be a bit scared? Then we got lots more and I will not name them all, since this is a many POV book. We got the two princes from Udur, I think this was my fav characters and kingdom. It is made up from giants and men and these princes are both. A very fascinating history. Their sister also plays a roll, and their elder brother he is not nice at all. Then we got their cousin and lastly 2 twin princes from the south. One a scholar and one a warrior. Together these princes forms bounds with each other and fight the coming battle. Then we got something called the Old Breed, I will not spoil anything. An evil witch from the south, a mysterious maiden a prince meets and I will leave it there. It might seem like a lot, but it is all connected and many of these spend most of the time together. A do like a good cast and the author is not very nice, he will make them suffer.

The story is rich in history and its setting.  There is a good mythology behind it all and good questions to be asked. These people do not know it all after all.

Conclusion:
A nice beginning to a series, but by the excerpt at the back I still do not know if the people around in this book will be around in the next one. It will be interesting to see.

Cover:
At least they look tough

34 comments:

  1. This one certainly sounds like a good old fashioned fantasy to me Blodeuedd, I might like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hit a bad, bad cliffie over the weekend - bad enough that my head almost exploded! Not only was NOTHING resolved by the end of the book, but something that was resolved at the end of the previous story was completely undone and made open-ended again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Old school eh? I haven't read anything like this. I don't even remember seeing it on Net Galley. I will investigate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like that this one has an ending even though it's part of a series. I love a good series as much as the next person, but it's nice when you get a solid conclusion with just a few threads left to assure you the next book won't be grasping at straws to make the story continue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was looking at my must read soon pile and realised I don't have any fantasy in there at all! I must remedy this as I miss fantasy reads... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aurian
    I do like the old fashioned one. And books with a rich mythology


    Chris
    Oh no!! Those drive me utterly insane! I need at least some kind of ends and not when it ends with someone lying on their deathbed


    Vivienne
    I missed it too, so check Orbit, you will find it there.


    Jenny
    Thing is that I do want to know what the next book it about, cos the ending felt so solid..in a way. That it well could end there and the next book is like 20 years after


    mel
    No fantasy at all?! That is just dreadful

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was more than a little cranky. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chris
    I can imagine :)
    Even with the EVIL cliffie at Carolyn Crane's book I still survived cos well it worked. But then there are those cliffies that make you insane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ana
    Good to hear :)
    And now I forgot what I was supposed to say, I think I am getting sleepy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope it does continue. It sounds very interesting. At least it really isn't a bad cliffie. Those I can usually handle, just as long as the main parts are finished.

    ReplyDelete
  11. While I enjoy classic fantasies there wasn't anything in the book's description to make me want to learn more about it though since you enjoyed it I'll have to look into it more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, sounds like quality epic fantasy to me! Thanks for the review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like this one's bursting with plot and characters. Glad that it wasn't a full on cliffie though. I hate those!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another fantasy I may find interesting. You do such a good job reviewing them I may end up actually enjoying one or two.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mhmmmmm, sounds like a pretty nefty story. haha, I love when authors are jerks to their characters. Sometimes I feel that the authors base their characters on people they don't like so they can torture them in text.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so tired of cliff hangers so I'm glad there is none here. I'm curious about this old school fantasy, I'm participating in the eclectic reader challenge so I'm definitely scouting different genres.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not my cup of tea, but it sounds like an interesting book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Melissa
    It was more...oh I can't say, it was a cliffie wrapped in a happy ending of sorts.


    Simcha
    You can always wait for more reviews ;) I was just so fascinated by those giants.


    Aarti
    I truly must try to read more fantasy this year since that is what I love the most


    Steph
    Cliffies are the worst, they are just pure evil. Most of the time I can handle them but I have seen that in YA books they are just there to be evil for some reason

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dana
    I do hope you try a fantasy soon :=)


    Carole
    Haha, yes I could see authors doing that. What a great way to get out aggressions. But poor characters.


    Alexis
    If you are going for that challenge then you truly must try a fantasy book


    Yvonne
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have been wanting to read this one. I should have downloaded off of Netgalley but I already have too many books. But I may squeeze this one in...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great review! But at 600 pages it seems a little long for me since most of the books I read are around 300 pages.

    ReplyDelete
  22. SQT
    I know the feeling, I did have too many books too, but, well I had that e-reader for 2 weeks and went crazy ;)


    Jenny
    Sadly that is how long most fantasy books are :/

    ReplyDelete
  23. sounds like nice fantasy to get lost in. I do enjoy mythology stories.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hmm, Maybe? Sounds interesting and I think this year is our year for fantasy reads. ;) I'm going to have to think about it, and get working on that list for us. lol. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks really interesting and of course its a series..because i am an addict..lol Thanks for sharing this great review

    ReplyDelete
  26. Naida
    They are the best, I have loved them since day 1


    Melissa
    Lol, yes get working on a list. I truly must read more this year. I mean it is the genre I love the most, but sometimes it feels I am not reaidng enough


    Kimba
    We are all addicts, we can't get enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh I hear you. I love fantasy and found I didn't read as much as I wanted to this past year. So we will have to see what we come up with then. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Melissa
    I think I put some new ones on my wishlist on GR today...I think. But yes we need to read more ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Old school...sometimes there's nothing better than going old school. The blurb and review have me interested.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This one sounds really pretty good. I think I might need to check it out sometime! I'll go ahead and put it on my TBR list and I'll be keeping my eyes out if you continue on in the series. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  31. Jenny
    Same here, old school can be so good


    Deanna
    Book 2 should be out...oh I have no idea, one day, lol

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP