Monday 30 January 2012

Review: Rude awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict - Laurie Viera Rigler

Genre: Contemporary romance/time-travel/JA
Pages: 304
Published: 2010
Publisher: Plume
Source: Borrowed
In Laurie Viera Rigler's first novel, Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict, twenty­first-century Austen fan Courtney Stone found herself in Regency England occupying the body of one Jane Mansfield- with comic and romantic consequences. Now, in Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict, Jane Mansfield awakens in the urban madness of twenty-first-century L.A.-in Courtney's body. With no knowledge of Courtney's life, let alone her world-with its horseless carriages and shiny glass box in which tiny figures act out her favorite book, Pride and Prejudice-Jane is over her head. Especially when she falls for a handsome young gentleman. Can a girl from Regency England make sense of a world in which kissing and flirting and even the sexual act raise no matrimonial expectations?

My thoughts:
This was a cute book that I just breezed through. Honestly I just opened it and then suddenly I had read it. I think I needed an easy book that was all sweet and fun.

And we all know I love Jane Austen. And in this one a woman called Jane Mansfield loves the author too. I do like a fellow Janeite. But the best part was of course that Jane is from 1813 and wakes up in another body in 2009. What is a fridge? A Computer? Why do women wear so little clothes? She must be ruined since she called of a wedding, and so forth. I liked the funny things how this poor woman tries to cope with our century because it sure is a different century.

And there is romance on the horizon, perhaps....

Jane finds herself. Still I did feel a bit sad because she gave up everything, just as Courtney did (the person she is now). Did they not miss their homes and family? And how about the person who seems to like Courtney? Because Jane is not Courtney. Anyway even with those questions I still liked it, and I sure would like to read the first book where Courtney from 2009 wakes up in 1813. Now that would be fun to read about.

Conclusion:
The verdict then; it is cute and easy.

Cover:
Fits

33 comments:

  1. Sadly, I just couldn't stand the first book in this series (so to speak) -- the character was so aggravatingly vapid! I'm still tempted by this one though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds nice and light. I'll keep an eye out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this book at home but haven't read it yet. I read the first one and while it wasn't perfect, it was a fun, light read :)

    Glad you enjoyed it!
    ♥Isalys / Book Soulmates

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute and easy is sometimes the right choice - I am glad you liked it! YOu see? No scary lady on the horizon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Why do women wear so little clothes?"

    Oh, that must have been the most shocking of all. I love cute and easy reads. They usually help me get out of reading slumps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed both Confessions and Rude Awakenings and the author is a sweetheart.
    Glad you enjoyed this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the first one on my shelf. I'm not allowing myself to read it until I read 'Northanger Abbey'. That's the last completed Jane Austen book I need to read. haha. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Audra
    Oh no! I was interested in that one cos it sounds so fun when she goes back in time, I do love that


    Linda
    Nice and light was truly needed

    Isalys
    Light and fun :) I do not need utter perfection then

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ana
    Haha, yes no scary lady around ;)
    And I need light and fluffy. I loved the book before but it was 900 pages and took a lot out of me

    Chris
    It was :D


    Missie
    For me it was just nice to relax with this one and finish it in no time at all. After reading a long book it was needed


    Naida
    I remembered that you got it from her, so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carole
    *coughs and whispers: I have only actually read PP and Northanger A*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the first book and want to get my hands on this one so I can read them together. Glad to see you enjoyed it, and you've read another for the JA challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anna
    Lol, I know, and both have been in the same "genre" :) I really need to try other books too

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed both books in this series. The cover of Rude Awakenings makes me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mary
    Good to hear :) Cos I would like to read more

    Nise
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved the first one too so I need to get my hands on this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read the first novel and it was also cute and just fun. I also had the same problem about Courtney, not missing her real life, but I think I still would like yo read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh good questions. I think I would have the same ones in the end. Still sounds like a light read. Might have to keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read her first book, Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict and remember liking it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved the first one much more than this one. But I agree it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Okay, I want to read this one! I love the Jane Austen sequel type of books. This sounds so good and I enjoy this author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is fun indeed, not many women travel forward in time, it is more the men coming to protect some woman that I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  23. egasp Miss B! How dare you! *whispers* It's okay I was forced to read the others, but I found out Persuasion was my favorite of JA's books. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amused
    Glad to hear that :D


    Gaby
    Sure they both had things and people they did not like...but still...


    Melissa
    Light is awesome ;)


    Steph
    I am very curious about it, it sounds, fun. I'd love to go back too and meet my own Mr Darcy too. Aww the dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Staci
    You are all making me so curious about the first one!


    Yvonne
    Then you def need to check this one out!


    Aurian
    I agree, the guys are always moving around saving the ladies, or a woman gets thrown back into a medieval castle ;)


    Carole
    I know! *hides in shame* I am horrid!!!

    I just like the movies so much

    ReplyDelete
  26. This one is on my TBR! I love these type of books :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Felicia
    I hope you enjoy it then :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love books that are that easy to read. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Alexis
    'They can be so perfect :D

    Carrie
    So cute

    ReplyDelete
  30. Read this a while back and thought the same. great easy breezy book!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I loved both of these books. So much so that I even got the audio versions to listen to. They are fun and entertaining. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP