Wednesday 11 January 2012

Review: Vicious Circle - Linda Robertson

Series: Persephone Alcmedi #1
Genre: Urban fantasy
Pages: 384
Published: 2009
Publisher: Pocket
Source: My bookshelf

A girl's got to do what a girl's got to do....
Being a witch doesn't pay the bills, but Persephone Alcmedi gets by between reading Tarot cards, writing her syndicated newspaper column, and kenneling werewolves in the basement when the moon is full -- even if witches aren't supposed to mingle with wolves. She really reaches the end of her leash, though, when her grandmother gets kicked out of the nursing home and Seph finds herself in the doghouse about some things she's written. Then her werewolf friend Lorrie is murdered...and the high priestess of an important coven offers Seph big money to destroy the killer, a powerful vampire named Goliath Kline. Seph is a tough girl, but this time she bites off more than she can chew. She needs a little help from her friends -- werewolf friends. One of those friends, Johnny, the motorcycle-riding lead singer for the techno-metal-Goth band Lycanthropia, has a crush on her. And while Seph has always been on edge around this 6'2" leather-clad hunk, she's starting to realize that although their attraction may be dangerous, nothing could be as lethal as the showdown that awaits them.

My thoughts:
Oh no, it happened again. An UF book that failed to grab my attention, I can't seem to muster up my reviewing powers either. Instead I am pondering the sudden death of potatoes in my fridge. Well, they were old and had been there some time. Those poor things. I so planned to make them into a soup today. I did not just leave them there so I would not have to make fishsoup...or did I?

But ok the book then. I just do not know, it was the same old story. The heroine failed to make me care for her. Sure I liked her, but I did not care. I did not care for the hunky love interest either. The one thing that did make me care was when the wicked bad vampire showed up, oh he was fine and evil. I would have liked to see more of his dark seductive powers.

Therefore I can't say what made me find this book just ok. The story was fine. Assassination, weres in the basement, a hunky guy who she should go for even if he is  bad boy. So it must be the people. A story can be wonderful but if I do not care, I do not like. A story can be bad, but if I still like the people, I like the book.

Conclusion:
Just not for me at this time-

Cover:
I do like the cover

44 comments:

  1. Yeah, I like the cover too. That was why I was eyeing this book like forever... but now, maybe it was good that I did not buy this book...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad it didn't work for you. Thank you for your honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, pondering the sudden death of potatoes in your fridge. That cracked me up. It's awful when you can't think of a thing to say about a book. I had high hopes when I saw it was about witches. Hope your next read is better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes for me when I start reading a book and I'm feeling the way you were I set it aside and pick up something else. When I revisit the book I tend to LOVE it...that's what I did with Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler. I had tried to read it before and just couldn't get into it so instead of trying to force myself to read it I wanted a couple of months and now I can't wait to continue on with the series. :-D Hopefully your next book works with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It never bodes well for a book when you'd rather think about potatoes in the fridge than the book itself ;)

    Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never a good sign when you're pondering potato deaths in the middle of your review. Clearly this one just didn't cut it! Thanks for your thoughts:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cherry
    It is very catching, but sadly for me it did not work out well

    Linda
    Aye, it happens :/


    Darlene
    Lol, I really felt like I had nothing to say, or what I said had been said before so...potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deanna
    I really should have done that! I just hoped I would like it more if I continued. Cos there was this other book that I did put aside for later, sadly. I did not do it with this one.

    Cos in the end you never really know


    YA Queen
    Well, the death of my potatoes were sadly more interesting today ;)


    Jenny
    Not this time, but hopefully the next book will be better, or that I at least will enjoy it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes that happens. Books just become like every other book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How long do potatoes last? I'm never sure how many times you can cut the roots before it's not good to eat! :-)

    Sorry, it didn't work for you. You're not having a good time with UF at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amused
    It's sad, but yes it happens

    Mel
    Bf said that they were not bad, duh bf, I know about the roots. But he did not see the white and the icky black hole ;) So I say, oh I do not know, lol. Things do not last long at our palce it seems

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! If you're thinking about the contents of your fridge instead of the book, there's a problem. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Instead I am pondering the sudden death of potatoes in my fridge."

    Blahaha! Oh, you kill me Blodeuedd! Poor potatos. What did they ever do to you? LOL

    This is why I struggle with UF. The focus is always on the wrong thing. Why not the hot vampire? Maybe he will get this own series? Let's hope.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chris
    But my fridge is so interesting! ;)


    Missie
    Hihi, well they taunted me with their presence, death to potatoes!

    I definetely think the hottie vil vamp should get his own series. he was so evil and dark, and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Old potatoes, how I hate them! Almost as much as bad books! A great, short review, thanks, now I know what to avoid...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, I just had nothing to say so it was rather hard..and then I thought about those potatoes I murdered. I bought new ones today

      Delete
  16. awww...too bad it dissapointed. lol about 'sudden death of potatoes' <-

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh shoot. I'm drawn to the cover, too bad it wasn't great. I have to say loved the review. I feel like buying you some potatoes now. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are needed. Quite the potato famine in my household now ;)

      Delete
  18. I guess you can't judge a book by its cover! I loved the cover! I'm just sorry the book wasn't for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a great cover, but yes it happens and this time it was not the book for me

      Delete
  19. I am so sorry that this one didn't work for you...I just gave up on a book the other day..sucks when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that DNF of yours, that just sucks :/

      Delete
  20. That is very sad indeed that you'd rather ponder about the sudden death of potatoes that this book, which does sound exciting from the synopsis. Too bad whoever wrote the synopsis didn't write the whole book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book was good..I felt something, just not enough. Others have sure liked it though

      Delete
  21. :( sorry this one wasn't for you. Bit hard to really like a book when you don't care about the main characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So hard :/ I just can't like a book at all then

      Delete
  22. Aw, sorry to hear that. I do have this one on the WANT list. Sorry to hear you didn't much care for it. Shame. You know what I think you need? Another amazing fantasy read to get you out of that hole of yucky UF reads. ;D lol. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, good idea ;) I just hope my Sanderson book arrives soon, but I fer until that I will read a PNR

      Delete
  23. egags! :0 I'm sorry this was a flop. You're like me...you have to care for the characters. The story-line might be flat, but if you care about the characters it makes it enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the way. it is not the first book that falls short when I really do not care at all one way or the other

      Delete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Too bad this wasn't working for you :( I think I'm steering clear of this one as well if it will have me thinking of old things in my fridge LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, this is so cool!!!! :D Finally blogger

      Delete
    2. Yaaaay! Hurrah, too bad it isn't working for me ;)

      Delete
    3. It seems I can't, reply to your reply though but it still works :)

      Delete
    4. now where will this reply go...

      Delete
  26. Don't tell anyone but I am having the same problem with the Chicagoland Vamps....I think I am just not in UF mood :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should cool it with the UF books cos I might not be in the mood either :(

      Delete
  27. What a shame you did not like the characters. I have read good things about those books, and they are hidden in my TBR Mountain range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you will like it more when you read it :) I do fear I should lay off UF for a while

      Delete
  28. I keep thinking I want to give urban fantasy another try, but there is just so much of it out there, that I never know where to start. At least now, I know to not start with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UF is the best, but yes like with all genres there are the good, the bad and the in between. i guess it all comes down to taste

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP