Saturday 7 January 2012

Review: Stormwalker - Allyson James

Series: Stormwalker #1
Genre: I felt it was more a PNR/UF hybrid
Pages: 330
Published: 2010
Publisher: Berkley
Source: My own

Half-Navajo Janet Begay possesses extraordinary power which is tied to the storms that waft across the desert. The only person who can control her when she's caught in the storm's evocative power is Mick, a dark-haired, blue-eyed biker Janet can't seem to touch with her powers. He can wield fire and not get burned, and Janet's never sure where he goes when they're not together. 

Together they investigate mysterious disappearances, which Janet fears are tied to her mother's people, the mythical gods from below the earth. They are helped along the way by Coyote and Crow, but these shapeshifting gods have their own agendas.

My thoughts:
I read a short story in the anthology Hexed and knew I wanted more, and this does no happen often. So I bought book 1 in this series and what I felt in that short story rang true. It was a good book.

It does say it is pnr, but I do not know, it feels like more. These days I think they are so many pnr/uf hybrids out there and I would even want to make this one more UF in a way. At least that is how it feels for me. She is out there kicking ass, but yes there is romance too. But is not that in your face as it can be (not that that is a bad thing, it is just I want a story more than romance with these sorts of books.)

To the book then, I really liked Janet, she was pretty kick-ass with a cool power and one bad momma, scary as hell is the word. The love interest is Mike, who is all mystery, which made me crazy curious and I am so glad we found out what is going on with him. They have a long history and I am very unsure what to think oh him. He kind of comes and goes.

Then we have a bunch of side characters, Nash (whom I hate hate hate), he is so unfair that it drives me insane. *mutters something about evil cops*. A talking magic mirror (oh love him ;), Coyte (gotta love a trickster.) And more to get to know.

The story is filled with action, questions, a bit of smexing and good detective work. I liked what she has used and especially the mythology on how we came to be. And who are still beneath. That I do like.

Conclusion:
A good start to this series and I sure want more. Recommended.

Cover:
Cool

24 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good start to a new series. I always find it funny how modern technology plays a role in books...lol about the smexing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I love it when the book is as good as the short story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always prefer my PNR more on the UF side...this sounds like it would be one book I would enjoy! ANd who doesn't love a trickster? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Naida
    Aye smexing, it is pnr_ish after all ;)


    Mary
    It does not happen often but here it did


    Mel
    That is how I like it too, I need action not only "action"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I might like it. I love tricksters and kick-ass heroines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did anyone say "kick-ass heroine"? **Pricks up ears**

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the cover... it is attractive to my fantasy buff eyes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh good! I have this one on my tbr and have been wanting to get to it for a while now. So glad it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ana
    Those are the best, I do need a kick-ass woman when it comes to books like these


    Absent
    LOL! yes I sure did


    Cherry
    It says "read me" :D


    Melissa
    I am sure you will like it too, at least I hope so

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a fun read. I'm a big fan of kick ass heroines!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, so glad you also like this book! Such a great series.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alyssa
    They are def the best heroines :)

    Aurian
    I am so glad too :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is another series with great/fantastic reviews on my shelves I really need to start reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay for this following up on the promise of the short story!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree about Nash! He was a big jerk. Talking Magic Mirror was awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Leontine
    I hope you will enjoy them too when you start them :D


    Chris
    I seldom do it...ok I never do it, but I sure did this time


    Diana
    Such an ass!!!! Arghhhh!! Asss! Lol, but yes what a jerk

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds like a fun series. I was so bored with the whole UF/PNR genre until the Dissolutionist series by Carolyn Crane re sparked my interest.
    I don't thing there are any clear genre lines anymore. Several series seem to be a mix of several.

    ReplyDelete
  18. ooooh, sounds really good. =D I love sexy, mysterious fellows. lol, but I hope he wasn't too mysteriously cheesy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think I have this book----ohhhh I must go look brb...

    Oh I do, I do! YEAH!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Karen
    Nope, I am getting pretty confused these days. So many books are a mix of things, but that does not matter in the end. Who cares about a genre :)


    Carole R
    Nah, i would not say that. I was mostly curious about what and who he was


    Felicia
    Hihi, YAY

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nash! Hated him too. Grr....

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have the first 3 books of this series sitting on my shelf...I know I need to check them out sooner than later!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Julie
    Grrrr, evil evil Nash

    Deanna
    Good to know :) I hope you read and enjoy them soon

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is another series on the want list. Thanks for the review, and glad to hear you read the story in Hexed and was okay. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP