Thursday 24 September 2015

Beyond the veil and Lady Falls

“They say I’m half a demon, but I like to think of myself as half human, especially as the demons want me dead.”

Charlie Henderson is living a lie. Her real name is Muse and her attempt at a normal life is about to go up in smoke. 

When a half-demon assassin walks into her life, leaving a trail of destruction in his wake, Muse must return to the one man she hoped never to see again and ask for help. The Prince of Greed isn’t known for his charity. The price is high and the cost could tear her apart.

Trapped between the malevolent intentions of a Prince of Hell, a bounty-hunter with ulterior motives and all of demon-kind, Muse must embrace the lure of chaos at her core; the demon inside her, in order to survive.

If your ex is the Prince of Greed, you’d better be ready to raise hell. 

My thoughts:
I think I enjoyed this one the most until she meet a certain group of people. I wish they had not been included. Which means book will be about them a lot, and that makes me feel meh...

Anyway. Muse is a halfdemon and someone is trying to kill her. I did like that she was pretty messed up after having been a slave. Ok that sounds bad. Let me rephrase that. She has a real inner demon, and INNER demons. She had stuff to work through.

What she also has was one hot hot demon who wanted to help her, and do her. I get it, I was not supposed to like Akil. But I liiiiiiiiiiiiiked him. He was one fine prince of hell. She will end up with some boring other guy. Sucks for sure.

Conclusion:
But even though I enjoyed it, will I read more? Doubtful. The series is taking another turn 

Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 250 pages
Published February 7th 2014
The Veil #1
Urban fantasy
Own


Raven Wells is no ordinary girl. Plucked from an orphanage by a scheming earl, she has been raised like a thoroughbred, groomed for one purpose: Revenge. Unfortunately, the Earl of Trent never let her in on the plan, so when she meets the man of her dreams, Sir Phillip Warrick, she has no idea that every lesson, every tutor and every impulsive inch of her was crafted for his seduction and destruction. What she does know is that love is the prize she wants most and that nothing should stand in a woman’s way to getting what she wants. 

Phillip Warrick is simply trying to recover his friendship with the earl, unaware that the man has spent years laying the foundation for destroying Phillip’s peace of mind. What he does know is that the earl’s ward, Raven Wells, is mesmerizing, fascinating and apparently without reserve. Witty, beautiful, impulsive and impossible—she is like a siren beckoning him to forget the rules and seize only the pleasures of the moment. 

Together, their love will set in motion a series of events that no one can foresee. Revenge creates more than one victim, but also more than one winner. Raven Wells will be transformed into a force of nature the likes of which Victorian London has never experienced before. LADY FALLS is the birth of the Black Rose and the end of innocence. 

My thoughts:
The first 100 pages were good, I could look past things, but then the 100 after I just could not turn a blind eye to things anymore.

Raven is the most naive girl ever. Fine I know it's historical romance, but you have known him for a few days and boom, there goes the virginity. It was just too fast. And I am so tired of reading about men encountering virginal barriers and pushing through. Those poor women.

Anyway Raven met Phillip. Oh how they fancied each other. But her benefactor has plans for her. Which I saw through at once. And then it got depressing! And that was the end of book 1. And if you forgive him, which you will. You stupid woman.

Conclusion:
Started good, ended not so good. Will not read more.


Kindle Edition, 186 pages
Published June 23rd 2014
Black Rose Trilogy #1
Historical romance
Own

39 comments:

  1. :) I love how passionate about your reviews. Regardless of whether or not you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another 13 books to read and I get to read The veil and meet Akil ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I am starting work at an ungodly hour tomorrow

      Delete
  4. Woah!! This series looks like they are gonna rock my shelf! :)
    Haniya
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer that both books started good and then fell apart for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate it when books go down hill. I have been in a bit of a reading slump lately myself. Hope your next read is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, I am on the bottom of my e-reader list of books

      Delete
  7. I guess your virginal barrier has to be broken through at some point hehe

    I'm tired of that too.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always like there is some barrier of flesh there and then they push through with force. Damn that must heart, but of course 1 sec later they are happy

      Delete
  8. 1) I like the name Muse. Ooooo and I bet I'd like the hottie prince, but alas...I feel this would let me down....

    2) Ugh. Hate the name Raven, so not historical correct. And bleh to the storyline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree, it's a cool name.

      YES! I mean come on!

      Delete
  9. Shame about Beyond the Veil. It sounds like something I would read, but from your comments I doubt it would work for me too. Too bad, though I would probably have picked it up for that gorgeous cover alone.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just so meh for me.
      The cover was good, but eh

      Delete
  10. I'm not sure about these. They don't sound like my kind of genre :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear its two you won't be continuing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't be stupid, woman! The first book sounds good, at least you're 1:1

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love demons books but too bad she met the group of these persons

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have a lovely weekend and down with stupid his-rom heroines!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beyond the Veil has some appeal. The naive girl used as the revenge weapon not so much. I can only do naivete in small doses and I hit my quota for the month.

    Engaging reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always give it a go, others have loved it.

      But the other one. No, do not read it

      Delete
  16. So, the author went to the trouble of creating this awesome dude for a love interest - a prince of hell no less, lol - and then had the heroine end up with smn else?! SO wrong! Have a great weekend, Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he was so mmmmm. Fine, then he was all evil all the sudden. But he was still mmm, and so much better than the boring one

      Delete
  17. Aw bummer when a series takes a turn that's not for you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't think these books are for me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am sorry you did not like them B. I hope your next read is a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm trying to think if I have that book by Pippa on my ereader or not. I can't remember. Hmm. Might look into it. I know there's an aspect you don't like, but I'm curious now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP