Saturday 5 September 2015

The Girl's Guide to the Apocalypse - Daphne Lamb and Fitreaders check in


Join in :D

Sat 4 km bike, 30 min walk
Sun 1 h walk and 30 min walk
Mon 4 km bike, 30 min walk
Tue 4 km bike, 30 min walk
Wed 4 km bike
Thu 4 km bike, 30 min walk
Fri, 4 km bike, 30 min walk

Meh week. I have worked for a couple of weeks now and had my first cold, and still has. No energy, lingering on almost fever territory. I know you should rest, but when I get them all the time I am all SIGH.


......................................

Welcome to the Apocalypse. Your forecast includes acid rain, roving gangs and misplaced priorities, in this comedic take on the end of the world as we know it, from debut author Daphne Lamb.

As a self-entitled, self-involved, and ill equipped millennial, Verdell probably wouldn’t have ranked very high on the list of those most likely to survive the end of the world, but here she is anyway. Add in travelling with her work addicted boss, her boyfriend who she has “meh” feelings for, and a handful of others who had no businesses surviving as long as they have, and things aren’t exactly going as planned. But despite threats of cannibalism, infected water supplies, and possibly even mutants, Verdell is willing to put in as little effort as she can get away with to survive. 

My thoughts:
This book meant to be hilarious, but it tried WAY too hard. I mean WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too hard. It was ridiculous. In the end I wanted everyone to just die. They did not deserve to live because they were so stupid.

Girl whatever her name was, stayed on floor X with coworkers. People were dying from sickness on other floors. Society was crumbling and they were, wait for it, working. Yes working. Thinking of memos, why the phones wont work and shit like that. I was all, what? You are stuck in a building, starving, dying and working. Get the F out. Survive!

They are saved. And they continues being stupid. Not thinking of surviving and more. Just being stupid. Thinking of stupid things. I did not get it. Was I missing something? Was I supposed to laugh when they wrote notes in a board and pretended it was twitter? No. They were stupid, and if that is the people that survives an apocalypse, then humankind is doomed. And deserves to be wiped out.

It could have been funny, it failed.

Paperback, 218 pages
Published August 11th 2015 by Booktrope Editions
Apocalyptic humour
NG

35 comments:

  1. That sucks that you are sick...when I taught Kindergarten, I was sick all the time. Basically I would get a cold in October and it was pretty much last until April. I hope you start to feel better soon! Lovely photos - you always have the best photos...it makes me want to go to better places to walk just so I can snap some interesting pictures to share :)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. This is my first cold and it will surely last until summer of something, sigh.

      Thank you :D

      I do love finding new places

      Delete
  2. LMAO! That bad huh, too bad some of them survived :P

    Drink some tea and take it easy. Read, pet your cat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think this is a book for me. I like humor, but I can't stand books that try too hard at it.

    And wow, beautiful pics. Glad you got the chance to go out even with getting sick, hope you feel better now. That's a nice place for a farmhouse, right by the water. Enjoy the nice weather, fall is here! :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was beyond too much. SIlly is good, but please let someone have a brain at least.

      They are boathouses :)

      Delete
  4. Hope you feel better soon and shame this book sucked. Pick a good one for your next read. It will make you fell better :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, TSTL syndrome en masse, huh? :D It happens. But, wow, look at those pics! And I don't know how it works with you, but cold or no cold, I have a hard time remembering a time when you slowed down with your exercising. Next day after never! You're awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the smart and normal peeps died

      Awww thanks!

      Delete
  6. too bad it was too much of this to end up ridiculous...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think summer colds seem worse than winter colds. Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahah! They must be dedicated workers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeez. I hate when books try to hard.
    Relax! Drink some OJ!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As you know very well I have very little patience for stupid books so not for me. Feel better soon - aspirin and honey is your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw sorry to hear the humor didn't do it for you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah man, bummer about the cold.

    And that book does sound like it should be hilarious. Humor is a tricky beast, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You still got a lot of working out in despite being sick. I haven't been sick (yet) but my allergies are crazy bad this summer. I can't even imagine what fall will be like.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you are finally on the mend after resting a few days. *passes the chicken noodle soup*

    That barn photo is absolutely amazing - probably my favorite that you've taken. Love it!! Like want to hang it up love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you! That is the highest praise

      Delete
  15. Hope you are feeling better, those are nice pics!
    That's too bad about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bummer about the book and cold :( hope you kick it soon. But you did great with your bike rides and lovely pics again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome job on the exercise! I've been failing miserably these last few weeks. Life's been crazy and now I'm sick. :( Hoping to get through this week and be better enough to get moving again next week.

    Sorry about the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am gonna feel sick or months now, thanks work

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP