Wednesday 23 September 2015

Rosie Hopkin's Sweet Shop of Dreams - Jenny Colgan

Were you a sherbet lemon or chocolate lime fan? Penny chews or hard boiled sweeties (you do get more for your money that way)? The jangle of your pocket money ...the rustle of the pink and green striped paper bag ...Rosie Hopkins thinks leaving her busy London life, and her boyfriend Gerard, to sort out her elderly Aunt Lilian's sweetshop in a small country village is going to be dull. Boy, is she wrong. Lilian Hopkins has spent her life running Lipton's sweetshop, through wartime and family feuds. As she struggles with the idea that it might finally be time to settle up, she also wrestles with the secret history hidden behind the jars of beautifully coloured sweets. Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop of Dreams - a novel - with recipes. 

My thoughts:
Rosie goes to stay with her great aunt Lillian, who owns a sweet shop. A sweet shop that has stood empty since Lillian is not feeling well. Mmm candy! Yes there was a lot of candy mentioned in this book, especially since every chapter started with that.

A nice little village where everyone knows each other. 
A store that can get on its feet again.
A woman looking for a second chance.
A man looking for healing.
Aunt L looking back at her own love life, oh btw, I did not like that the flashbacks were in cursive. Her life made me a bit sad. She said she was happy, but still. Men are such eejits.
And then, Rosie looking at her own life. At her work. At her stupid boyfriend, omg, I so wanted her to ditch him. A mama's boy, who would never do anything for Rosie.

Conclusion:
It was a sweet book. It made me have candy, evil book that it was. 

Paperback, 465 pages
Published March 28th 2012 by Sphere
Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop #1
Romantic fiction
Own

44 comments:

  1. Have you read her other novel The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris? Also with CHOCOLATE recipies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was all Nina? Oh it's you! :)
      Alas no, I have not read that one. But it sounds yummy

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I'm sure I'd want candy if I read that too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candy you say? Sold. And how cute is that cover? LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just reading your review made me want candy, I can't imagine how it must be while reading the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok so you liked the candy the shop and the town, but hated the romances because the men were idiots? Do I have it right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good story, but not my cup of tea... but the sweets I'll take!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one is on my wishlist. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm. That cover is meh. Are those supposed to be jars of candy? They look like baby bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds... sweet! (you knew that was coming...)

    *reminds self to not read this on an empty stomach*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Certainly evil, but oh so good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, what kind of sweets did you binge on?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw. I love this! Small town charm and romance. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Romance at a small village sweet shop? Sold!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh it sounds like a really nice one

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lol no way to not eat candy while reading a book like that. Sounds good but sad.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Small-town and a candy shop? I am packing my bags!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw! Sounds like cotton candy at a fair! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. A book that makes you eat candy IS evil! Especially evil now that I'm on a diet. No good, no good. lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. I liked one of her other books so I'd read this.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP