Monday 28 September 2015

Dark Secrets Anthology

MARION, MISSING by Rachel Caine 
Valentine is a detective with two major problems: he's been offered a kidnapping case that will probably get him killed, and his partner won't let him turn it down. He owes her that much … since his partner's a ghost, and he's the one who killed her. 

FEMME FATALE by Cynthia Eden 
PI Mick Swayne has seen it all—his clients have included liars, thieves, and even killers. He thinks he can handle anything and anyone. Then she walks into his office. Savannah Moreau is beautiful, seductive, and…a vampire? The gorgeous vamp hires Mick to help her track down a killer who is hunting in Chicago, but as Mick slips deeper into Savannah’s paranormal world, he wonders if he can really trust his new client… 

DANCE WITH THE DEVIL by Megan Hart 
Kathleen Murphy has sold her soul to the devil. Fame, fortune, success...everything she's ever dreamed of is hers, and all she has to do is the devil's bidding. When love comes knocking, the last thing in the world she wants to do is involve Jake in her twisted world, but the devil's started up the jukebox and Kathleen has no choice but to learn the steps. 

THE CONSORT by Suzanne Johnson 
Faulkner Hearne, the captain of the ruthless Fae Hunters, finds his duty at odds with his heart when he’s ordered to capture the consort of Faerie’s cruel Prince of Summer when she flees across the veil into modern New Orleans. Can Faulk turn Liandra over to a certain death at the hands of the prince, or will he risk a war with Faerie in order to save her? 


HEART’S BLOOD by Jeffe Kennedy, a Twelve Kingdoms novella 
Nix is nothing. The Princess Natilde—her former waiting woman—attacked her on the journey to wed Prince Cavan, stripping her of everything and taking her place. With no serving skills, Nix becomes a goose girl. Perhaps if Nix keeps her promise never to reveal who she really is, Natilde won’t carry out her vile threats. Prince Cavan entered his arranged marriage determined to have a congenial, if not loving relationship with his future queen—for the sake of both their kingdoms. But, his wife repels him more each day and he finds himself absurdly drawn to the lovely Nix. 

THE DJINN IN THE MIRROR by Mina Khan, a Djinn World novella 
Dahlia, the step-daughter of a power hungry wizard, promises to free a djinn trapped in a mirror if he rescues her from impending death. But Ashmael the djinn has his own agenda: to trick & seduce his way to freedom. The only problem is he ends up falling for Dahlia. Can he win his freedom and save the girl? 

My thoughts:
A few short stories/novellas with darkness in them.

Marion missing by Rachel Caine 
PI Val tries to find who killed his partner Tilde. Mystery murder and darkness. Good. 

Femme fatale by Cynthia Eden
A vamp and a PI. Kind of boring. I started skimming, even though it was only a novella.

Dance with the devil by Megan Hart
It started off a bit meh, but turned interesting. The devil is cruel.

The consort by Suzanne Johnson
A fae running from a fae prince. I liked this story

Heart's blood by Jeffe Kennedy
It was really good and all, but I just read another retelling of the goose girl, so I was never surprised.

The djinn in the mirror by Mina Khan
I liked the djinn world the best. Would love a book about that. The rest of the story was good, but not as good as the djinn world.

Conclusion:
Some I liked more, some I likes less. But that is the thing with anthologies. There are always the ones you like more, and the ones that might not fit your style. The 3 last were my favorites. Must be because of the fantasy elements.  You all know I love that.

Kindle Edition, 300-400?
Expected publication: September 29th 2015
Anthology UF/paranormal/fantasy
For review

36 comments:

  1. I like sampling some stories sometimes. It helps me weed out the bad ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. anthology can be a good way to discover new to us authors. a lot of new one for me in this one but yes i enjoyed some stories a lot more than other.
    my favourite are those my Mina Khan and Suzanne Johnson

    thank you for teh review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true :)
      Of course I liked the one the best that was from an author I knew

      Delete
  3. I think I am kind of done with anthologies for awhile. I am reading one right now and it is just weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the whole this looks like a great anthology. Yea, some weren't as good as others, but like you said... that is how anthologies go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have the hardest time with Anthology because of this

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeffe Kenndy is on my hit list

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Suzanne Johnson so I am glad you enjoyed her story :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes it's always a bit like that. I have it but I still need to find the time to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can usually find a couple of stories I like in an anthology.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The last three so sound pretty good - TOTALLY because of the fantasy elements, lol :) You put me to shame with your frequent incursions into the land of anthologies - you are fearless! And I should man up and try a few myself...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love fantasy! :D

      It has been a lot lately, weird really

      Delete
  11. The only author on this list that I've read is Jeffe Kennedy. I do like dark paranormal. I'll have to give this a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds pretty good. I like Caine so had my eye on it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think we were near polar opposites on what we liked and didn't like in this one. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooo now THIS one sounds pretty okay. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds promising. You liked more than not. Good sign. :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP