Wednesday 9 September 2015

By Royal Decree - Kate Emerson

Charming. Desirable. Forbidden. Brought to court with other eligible young noblewomen by the decree of King Henry VIII, lovely Elizabeth "Bess" Brooke realizes for the first time that beauty can be hazardous. Although Bess has no desire to wed the aging king, she and her family would have little choice if Henry's eye were to fall on her. And other dangers exist as well, for Bess has caught the interest of dashing courtier Will Parr. Bess finds Will's kisses as sweet as honey, but marriage between them may be impossible. Will is a divorced man, and remarriage is still prohibited. Bess and Will must hope that the king can be persuaded to issue a royal decree allowing Will to marry again . . . but to achieve their goal, the lovers will need royal favor. Amid the swirling alliances of royalty and nobles, Bess and Will perform a dangerous dance of palace intrigue and pulse-pounding passions.

My thoughts:
I kept thinking Bess would have an affair with the king, the author played it like that. Saying how he thought she was pretty over and over again. Not that I wanted that, since she also said how disgusting Bess found him over and over again.

Oh I am getting a head of myself. This is the story of Bess Brooke. A noble woman at the Tudor court. She fell in love with Will Parr, who was divorced, but not allowed to marry again. So through out the entire book she wants to be his wife. But we all know the history. That wont be easy during that time. Crowns change heads. Religion is under watchful eyes.

Hers was an interesting story. I of course googled what happened to her after the book ended too. ..ok I might have googled before the book ended. I just like to google! And then I had to google other people too.

Conclusion:
Though I must say it got a bit long winded at the end. That is a problem with historical fiction since things happen that isn't always interesting. Still... a good book. 

C over
nice

Paperback, 353 pages
Published December 14th 2010 by Pocket
Secrets of the Tudor Court, #3
Historical fiction
own

40 comments:

  1. It's the best part of reading an historical fiction. It compels us to research the historical event/characters in a book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fine review no doubt, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I'm guessing they don't end up together? Now I kind of want to Google her too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything about the Tudors is so fascinating. I always enjoy stories that center around them

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed even if a bit long winded

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to Google people too when they are in historical fiction to see how it all ended up. Sometimes surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You google'er. :) This one looks like fun. I might have to google this...

    ReplyDelete
  8. If the book is really good, I google. If not, I get frustrated with the narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a Googler too Linda..particularly with historicals

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh interesting, the period is always intriguing. And I totally get you for google lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice cover. Historical fiction has so many pretty covers - mainly because of the dresses :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Probably not for me. I get too frustrated with all the rules lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also Google a lot when I'm reading historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yep, I love to google characters in historical fiction too, well, the ones that were actual people. :-) I've spent hours googling the kings and queens of Europe. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that title :D Yep, Google sure is one useful tool!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, this one tempts me after reading the blurb and your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've read one of her books before and it was just ok. So not sure about this one...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like a bit of historical fiction now and again. That cover is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  19. *waves* :) Long winded, but still sounds good.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP