Wednesday 15 June 2016

Ancillary Sword - Ann Leckie

What if you once had thousands of bodies and near god-like technology at your disposal? 
And what if all of it were ripped away? 

The Lord of the Radch has given Breq command of the ship Mercy of Kalr and sent her to the only place she would have agreed to go -- to Athoek Station, where Lieutenant Awn's sister works in Horticulture.

Athoek was annexed some six hundred years ago, and by now everyone is fully civilized -- or should be. But everything is not as tranquil as it appears. Old divisions are still troublesome, Athoek Station's AI is unhappy with the situation, and it looks like the alien Presger might have taken an interest in what's going on. With no guarantees that interest is benevolent.

My thoughts:
This series is so hard to put down in words. But do I understand it all..eh, actually no. I really can not get my head around ancillaries. Ok so they are dead/or not dead people who had stuff put in their brains and they they all are 1 and belong to the ship. But if you take the stuff out they are dead...well they were already dead most of then. And they should not have feelings. ..right?

Ok so that was my thoughts about them, but hey it does not matter. Maybe it's just me.
I also find it interesting how everything is SHE, no men or women. But...yes I wonder, who is male and female? Fine it should not matter, but hey I still wonder.

In this book Breq is given the command of a ship. The empire is falling apart as their leader is fighting herself (well yes I told you it is weird.) Breq is sent to a tea planet (oh they LOVE their tea) and investigates.

Breq is such a great main character, she is just so so, oh just read it and see.

Conclusion:
This is good sci.fi, and yes I want more.

Cover
Meh

Paperback, 356 pages
Published October 7th 2014 by Orbit
Imperial Radch #2
Sci-fi
Library

33 comments:

  1. Sounds a little bit confusing, but I'm glad you enjoyed it overall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aside from being interesting sci-fi, I love that it plays with gender in some way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such an interesting way of playing it too

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed this one! :) And I also found it very interesting how I felt compelled to guess the actual genders of people, thought eventually I stopped. Kinda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yes kinda ;) I can not help myself

      Delete
  4. Interesting. It sounds like on one hand it needs more background development but you ended up enjoying it. Okay, color me curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not that it needs more background, it has eons of it, it's just sci.fi, I always feel like I am not smart enough

      Delete
  5. Yes confused too - seems like they are all one, yet one can be a main character!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds weird and unique at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huh. Wasn't sure when I read the summary, but your review is interesting

    ReplyDelete
  8. This does have a great sound to it. I would like to try this one one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you're continuing to enjoy this series. I struggled with the beginning, but ended up having a good time with the whole trilogy.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can still enjoy it even if I do not get it ;) That is always my problem with sci.fi. Like I just do not understand or even that the English goes over my head. It's the only genre I feel like that about

      Delete
  10. lol, ahha that's funny!! Glad you like the MC :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds strange but that 'she' thing intrigued me :).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lately sci-fi has been confusing me, but it does have possibilities :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would be totally confused, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've heard a lot about this one, but it just sounds so weird!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That cover is just too busy!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP