Tuesday 28 June 2016

Hope and Red - Jon Skovron

In a fracturing empire spread across savage seas, two young people from different cultures find common purpose. A nameless girl is the lone survivor when her village is massacred by biomancers, mystical servants of the emperor. Named after her lost village, Bleak Hope is secretly trained by a master Vinchen warrior as an instrument of vengeance. A boy becomes an orphan on the squalid streets of New Laven and is adopted by one of the most notorious women of the criminal underworld, given the name Red, and trained as a thief and con artist. When a ganglord named Deadface Drem strikes a bargain with the biomancers to consolidate and rule all the slums of New Laven, the worlds of Hope and Red come crashing together, and their unlikely alliance takes them further than either could have dreamed possible. 

My thoughts:
Gangs, warriors, pirates and thieves;

First there is Bleak Hope (not her real name, that would be rather depressing), who ends up with a bunch of monks and becomes a warrior. A truly kick ass warrior who is all about honor. So she lives on her island and trains and..well duh, leaves so the stories can become one.

Then there is Red, a thief who lives in a city ruled by gangs, that is the underworld is ruled by them. The Imps patrol the rest and protect the good folk. As for Red, aye I liked him, he had grown up differently and was kinder cos of it. He also had that smile you can not say no to.

Oh and there is some pirating in there too ;)

And creepy magicians called Biomancers and those are really really evil, I did not see a single one one do a good thing. You will see.

Conclusion;
Ass-kicking, pirating, running, danger and an ending that made me all whaat? What next?! More is sure in store for us, and I am curious.

Cover
eh

Paperback, 416 pages
Expected publication: June 28h 2016 by Orbit
Empire of Storms Trilogy #1
Fantasy
NG

33 comments:

  1. I love the description and cover, so I'm gonna add this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Gangs, warriors, pirates and thieves" Holy poop. Sounds like a lot going on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun read and like kick ass heroines and kind heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely hard to not like Red :) Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've read a book with this sort of story line. Sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had a good time with this one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this one sounds like a fun fantasy. The world sounds well developed and I love that. Hm... why haven't I heard of this one before?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been seeing this book pop up all over and quite a few good things too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds so fun, I have to finish this one soon and write my review (but author is guest posting on Friday!) :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes I remember being curious about this one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh cool. I read his YA and liked the writing but not the story so maybe I should give this a try.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh YA? I must go investigate cos no idea what that book is

      Delete
  12. Sounds like it has a bit of everything! I was afraid this one would be too dark for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard so many good things about this one so I am really, really excited to pick it up myself, soon! Glad this didn't disappoint! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bleak Hope would be a very depressing name.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is pretty much everything that I can't read about. Lol. Not gonna lie, but it's so you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, well I do like these sorts of things

      Delete
  16. I read a review for this book somewhere else and I thought it was horrible that someone would name a child Bleak Hope. Glad to know that wasn't her actual name. Going by Hope doesn't sound bad. Sounds like a fun story.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope is a nice name Bleak Hope, well that is just darn depressing. So no, her parents were not that cruel

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP