Wednesday 8 June 2016

Iron Crowned and Shadow Heir - Richelle Mead

Shaman-for-hire Eugenie Markham is the best at banishing entities trespassing in the mortal realm. But as the Thorn Land's queen, she's fast running out of ways to end the brutal war devastating her kingdom. Her only hope: the Iron Crown, a legendary object even the most powerful gentry fear...

Who Eugenie can trust is the hardest part. Fairy king Dorian has his own agenda for aiding her search. And Kiyo, her shape-shifter ex-boyfriend, has every reason to betray her along the way. To control the Crown's ever-consuming powers, Eugenie will have to confront an unimaginable temptation - one that will put her soul and the fate of two worlds in mortal peril... 

My thoughts:
These do keep getting better and better, even if I did not like the events in book 2. Why does that always happen?

Also she does change between her lovers...a lot! I am Team Dorian, I know he will loose, but the Fox can not be trusted. Not that Dorian can be trusted either, but he is hot.

And Genie is a mess, sure she can be kick-ass, but she also gets her ass kicked...a LOT.

BUT, I like her, I like the love triangle, even if I am Team Dorian, and even if he only is using her so that their kid could take over the world one day.
And when she is in Faerie she can kick ass, and I like that her dark side wants to take over. I like how fast I could finish the book.

Conclusion:
'All in all, great book. I hope the series ends with a great one too

Cover
Cliché

Mass Market Paperback, US, 375 pages
Published March 1st 2011 by Zebra
Dark Swan #3
UF
OWN

Shaman-for-hire Eugenie Markham strives to keep the mortal realm safe from trespassing entities. But as the Thorn Land's prophecy-haunted queen, there's no refuge for her and her soon-to-be-born-children when a mysterious blight begins to devastate the Otherworld. . .

The spell-driven source of the blight isn't the only challenge to Eugenie's instincts. Fairy king Dorian is sacrificing everything to help, but Eugenie can't trust the synergy drawing them back together. The uneasy truce between her and her shape shifter ex-lover Kiyo is endangered by secrets he can't—or won't—reveal. And as a formidable force rises to also threaten the human world, Eugenie must use her own cursed fate as a weapon—and risk the ultimate sacrifice. . . 

My thoughts:
Hmmm, what to write. It was still passable for good, but was it a good ending to the series? Not really.

It did not feel like closure, we never got a real ending set in stone. It was more oh time will tell. F time! I want to know for sure what happens. I guess she goes with X but knowing her she might be doing the nasty with X down the road again. She does seem to slip in and out of love easily. Still...Team Dorian!!! :D But he sure mellowed 

The big finale was like over and out! Way too easy.

Most of the book was about something else, there is this blight and the land suffers, so the book is about them going there and trying to fix it and I was all...use the x darn it.

The babies, no real conclusion there either.

Sure, some endings are more open, but it feels like there was meant to be more books and it did not happen.

Oh then there is this one thing XY says. And then something else happens. And I am all why even write that? It was perfect before. Sigh

Cover
Good

Mass Market Paperback, 390 pages
Published December 27th 2011 by Zebra
Dark Swan #4
UF
Own

42 comments:

  1. I read the first two books in this series I think, but the love triangle started to bother me so I didn't finish. Sounds like the ending was a bit disappointing anyway, so I'll stick to her YA books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have hated it, but for some reason I did not. Hmm, weird

      Oh her YA books are SO not for me

      Delete
  2. It was..sigh, not up to standard. Felt like she wanted to write more but the publisher said just 4! And so, everything was thrown together

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, first of all... you like a love triangle????

    Second, I hate when the final book of a series is a let down. It's one thing to not be EVERYTHING, but it's another to almost ruin the series. UGH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, what is wrong with me!)!)!)

      It did ruin it all :/

      Delete
  4. Mmmmm idk...they sound good, but IDK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So is the series over? If so that's bad that you don't feel like it it had a solid ending.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to know that you enjoy both the books! :)
    Haniya
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're knocking these out! Sucks about the ending on 4 :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I read the third one like 8 weeks ago ;)

      Delete
  8. I haven't heard of these books by Mead at all! I'm not sure I'll pick these up since they don't seem to be her best work, and I'll inevitably compare these to the Vampire Academy books, but thanks for putting these on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hated the VA books, those sucked so hard...in my opinion ;)

      Delete
  9. I so need to get into this series. Can't even tell you why I haven't other than time. While I'm cringing at what XY did, I'm also curious. AND YaY! You like the trilogy. I think the only one's I've read that I didn't hate was a UF one and a YA UF one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am horrible, damn triangle!!!! Booo me :)

      Delete
  10. Sorry the ending was too easy. All the build up for... eh

    ReplyDelete
  11. er. Nope. Sorry. Just no for me. I don't like the love triangle aspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was done well, it was not like she was in love with them both

      Delete
  12. I may grab the first book one day. I'm just not a fan of Mead, really. I liked the first book in her Georgina Kincaid series, I just need to read the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the first Georgina book too, so I will try it one day

      Delete
  13. My first experience with her YA was such a disaster, I think I should have started with her adult novels. Maybe I'll give this a shot, even if it sounds like it has its ups and downs...

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh those sucked, I did read like 4, and it might have been the translation but at the end I read one in under 1 hour and it was so bad so I gave up

      Delete
  14. And your reaction to the last book is exactly why I've avoided these. Others were very dissatisfied after following the series all the way to get that ending. I'm with you- closure is needed in a finale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate books like this, I have felt the same about other series too

      Delete
  15. Sounds like it gives you a mix of feelings but they are good. I need to try one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still worth it but..never gonna re-read, as if I had the time

      Delete
  16. I need to try the last book of the series but anxious to be disappointed

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Mead but I skipped this series for some reason. I might have to go back and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all out so at least you do not have to wait

      Delete
  18. Not a big fan of love triangles especially when they are written like this. I like a more obvious couple and have an extra character to add a bit of conflict but not major. Glad you enjoy these though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea why I liked it this time...I am weird. Maybe cos it was not a LOVE triangle. She likes Kiyo, but he has a baby mama. And She likes sex with Dorian and he wants her baby

      Delete
  19. So sorry that the last book was a bummer. That can really put a damper on the entire series. I'm not a fan of the whole love triangle thing I've read a slight few that I didn't hate, but I didn't like it. I tolerated it.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  20. Eh on bad conclusions. :/ I do like her books though :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've thought about trying her books, but time keeps kicking my butt. Might be something to try though.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP