Tuesday 7 June 2016

This Savage Song - VE Schwab

There’s no such thing as safe in a city at war, a city overrun with monsters. In this dark urban fantasy from author Victoria Schwab, a young woman and a young man must choose whether to become heroes or villains—and friends or enemies—with the future of their home at stake. The first of two books.

Kate Harker and August Flynn are the heirs to a divided city—a city where the violence has begun to breed actual monsters. All Kate wants is to be as ruthless as her father, who lets the monsters roam free and makes the humans pay for his protection. All August wants is to be human, as good-hearted as his own father, to play a bigger role in protecting the innocent—but he’s one of the monsters. One who can steal a soul with a simple strain of music. When the chance arises to keep an eye on Kate, who’s just been kicked out of her sixth boarding school and returned home, August jumps at it. But Kate discovers August’s secret, and after a failed assassination attempt the pair must flee for their lives. 

My thoughts:
This book was so good, I could not put it down. I read 200 pages in a flash, and then the other 200 pages in another flash. It sure was one of those books where the pages just flew by. That is so cliche to say, but it happened.

Kate, eh, she was too full of herself, she needed to be put down a peg or two. But she was a product of her environment. 

August, oh he was lovely. Shy, wanting more, loved music...and he was a monster. A monster that will suck out your soul with music. Oh did I forget to say that this is a futuristic society where monsters are born and pray on those who can not pay for protection from Kate's father. Or as in August's part of town where the monsters and sinners are hunted down.

There be monsters. The messy ones, the bloody ones and those who take your life force. And I really liked this world, I did want more info, but then all people are stuck in that city and do not know much. That is if you do not have money to get out.

These two will meet. The city is crumbling around them. And I could not put the book down.

Conclusion:
I really like how Schwab writes, and I certainly look forward to more in this series. She creates fascinating worlds. 

It ends without any major cliffies, but I crave more. The darkness of it all. ...

Cover
I kind of like it

Paperback, 400 pages
Published June 7th 2016 by Titan Books Ltd
Monsters of Verity #1
YA, Dystopia
For review

46 comments:

  1. Egh... I had this book in my hands in the local bookstore last week, but put it back. Big mistake I gather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--you make this sound like a must read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Vicious but couldn't make it through ADoM. Is this part of that series or a stand alone/new series??

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so great to have a book like that and you made me curious as I didn't know about it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clearly I need to add this to my list! Sounds outstanding:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started this one, just a few chapters in but I'm very intrigued! I love the world so far.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one is coming up on my schedule very very soon and I can't even tell you how excited I am about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this book but I'm halfway through the first book of her other series, which is also pretty interesting ADSOM it's called.

    Good to know this is worth a read

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed this one too and, like you, I couldn't put this down! I haven't seen this cover edition before, so thanks for sharing and I'm glad this was a hit for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love when they can grab a reader and make the book go by super fast. Glad you enjoyed :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, wow, she's writing this AND the whole London series at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooh this sounds good! I loved A Darker Shade of Magic but haven't read other books yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I have not read Vis yet..I should ;)

      Delete
  13. Ooooh. This is new to me but does sound amazing! :D Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heyyy!!! I just borrowed this from the library, hoping to curl up with it over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love a book like that that sucks you in and you just have to keep reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my yes, I can see why this captivated you. I would definitely read it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love when a book is so good the pages fly!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, man. I can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need this book! That's too bad that Kate us a bit full of herself. Still, it sounds fabulous! And Yay for nor cliffhanger! Have you read Vicious? I really liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. This sounds really good. You have sparked my interest m'am. *glares* hehe

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow! This sounds really good. Also, is it YA friendly? (Always looking for books for the boy). I may look into this for audio. Also - the US cover isn't as cool.

    ReplyDelete
  22. lol a lovely soul sucking monster. Heh Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP