Monday 6 June 2016

How to find your first husband - Rosie Blake

It's a beautiful day in 1994 and the turn-out in the school playground is fantastic. Isobel is eight years old and marrying Andrew Parker, the boy of her dreams. Life is perfect. Then the ceremony is over, and a week later so is the marriage. Twenty years on and Isobel is dressed as a prawn handing out promotional fliers outside an L.A. fish market. Her career is going nowhere and her love life leaves a lot to be desired. Nothing Isobel hoped for has gone to plan. Then, she catches sight of Andrew, her first husband, in the background of a TV news item and wonders: if she can track down Andrew, will she recapture the happiness that she felt all those years ago? Isobel travels the globe to find her first husband, via Cornwall, Devon and a remote Malaysian island, but is he really what she is looking for?

My thoughts:
Isobel Isobel. She is is stuck in a crappy job, her dream of working on tv has gone nowhere. She has a boyfriend that she is rather meh about. She needs something, just something.

What she does next is, well rather crazy. She sees the boy she married when she was 8, the boy who then moved away, and she decides to track him down. A man she now knows nothing about, but she feels they could be perfect for each other. It does sound like the recipe for disaster.

The question is, when she does find him, will she want him?

I did like hers spirit, she might not have gotten it, but she needed change. And this chase was something to do. To get her out of the rut that was her daily life.

Andrew then, oh he was a bore. I was all give it up Isobel! He is boring! You can do better!!

Conclusion:
LA to England to Malaysia. She finds her way, and she finds love. But most importantly, happiness.

Cover
eh

Paperback, 400 pages
Published June 2nd 2016 by Atlantic Books
Women's fiction
For review

35 comments:

  1. The plot of this one sounds like it has a Sophie Kinsella kind of vibe! Too bad Andrew was such a bore, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, well not the funny silly part of Kinsella.

      Oh who cares about Andrew ;)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an adventure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh this was like one of my Hallmark movies I watched lol

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, it would make a perfect one! I wanna watch a Hallmark movie now

      Delete
  4. This sounds cute and I like all the settings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The setting was lovely, I so want to go there

      Delete
  5. Probably not my kind of book (I could tell from the title already, lol) but I'm glad you had fun with it :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad she end up happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember seeing this somewhere but can't recall. And it was just a few days ago, I think. Anyway, it looks like something I'd read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Poor girl that has to go to Malaysia? ;)

      Delete
  9. LOL! Loved this review. Also loved your reaction to Andrew! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had totally missed these comments! Oops

      Hehe Andrew was so meh

      Delete
  10. I should read this, I might pick up a tip or two :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess if you're having to jump countries to find your love, I guess you do what you have to. As long as you're happy in the end.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was, and sometimes you need to get out of the rut you are in

      Delete
  12. Ha! Not sure I'm that adventurous, but I love reading these types of 'find yourself' stories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Boring cover of boringness.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like such an entertaining read, despite the totally crazy idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it was, crazy ideas are fun to read about

      Delete
  15. Fun to read about someone else doing a crazy thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds like a really fun book. I'll add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember seeing a movie with a similar plot. I wanted it to be spectacular, but it ended up being a "lesson" and didn't enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh lesson. No, this was not a lesson. She did not learn anything

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP