Thursday 3 January 2019

Audio: Lies and other acts of love



Audio CD, 10 h
Published December 18th 2018 by Tantor Audio (first published April 5th 2016)
Southern Fiction
Thank you Tantor

My Thoughts
I did find it strange that everyone else calls it feelgood, sweet and all those fuzzy feelings. I found it rather depressing at times with all the cheating and heartache. And at the same time it was so sweet and filled with Church, and I was all, how are these perfect Christians?

To the book then, it had two POVS. I felt Lovey had the bigger part and Annabelle was in the shadow at times. I also felt that Lovey's big secret never truly was dealt with and I got angry at her in the end for not telling the truth. I also hated how she and her husband had to wait forever to get married, and that they loved each other so much! And still (view spoiler: the author made the husband cheat cos I do not know, his wife was so preggo that he could not keep it in his pants. wtf?! He waited YEARS for her but could not keep it in his pants while she was pregnant. It ruined their lovestory)

Annabelle was, sigh, well I did like her, but the more I so of her the more this felt like she was living in the 50s. She was 22, about to get married, ditched him and married someone else. She was said to always keep another man in the wings so she could move on the next day. Because her entire life was built around men and she could not live if a man did not take care of her. I felt sorry for her then, without a man she was nothing. She also wanted to please her man at every time. (view spoiler: and then the new man cheats on her and it takes her 5 weeks to confront him cos she does not want to leave cos omg then she would be alone. so she finds her ex and is all I want to come back and he is all yes!)

No other grandkids came to visit Lovey. It was always aunts and Annabelle. Where were they all? The aunts had such a big part and I have no idea about other kids or siblings.

Also, well, too much Church talk. How he guides the way and blah blah. Omg you are all cheaters and liars. I just can not do overly religious books. Do not even get me started on Priest Charming.

PS. There are no tiny lies, there are BIG lies. Lies that hurt.

Narrator Janet Metzger
She saved this book. I liked her Lovey voice, and her Ann. She really brought the charm

Synopsis
After sixty years of marriage and five daughters, Lynn “Lovey” White knows that all of us, from time to time, need to use our little white lies. 

Her granddaughter, Annabelle, on the other hand, is as truthful as they come. She always does the right thing—that is, until she dumps her hedge fund manager fiancé and marries a musician she has known for three days. After all, her grandparents, who fell in love at first sight, have shared a lifetime of happiness, even through her grandfather’s declining health.

But when Annabelle’s world starts to collapse around her, she discovers that nothing about her picture-perfect family is as it seems. And Lovey has to decide whether one more lie will make or break the ones she loves . . . 


20 comments:

  1. ah yes it doesn't feel feelgood there but it still looks good in any case!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know some pretty bad people who talk church all the time, so I'd probably "get" that character more than you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such hypocrites! I can not stand people like that

      Delete
  3. thanks for the review Blodeuedd, just proves you can't always believe the book blurb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was not the blurb, every other review said so

      Delete
  4. I;m not a fan of overly religious books either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not now where to draw the line. I mean it was not preachy, but at the same time it felt so something

      Delete
  5. I don't care for cheating in stories so I think I will have to pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guess they weren't kidding about the lies part huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG... I just couldn't. Thanks for the spoilers. This one is a big no for me! Sorry you got roped in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! Those things really bothered me

      Delete
  8. Read the spoiler (as per normal) and I am not amused.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I would be able to stand a book like this, with all the hypocrisy. Annabelle sounds like a really weak character too.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She could not even imagine being on her own, and then I am supposed to be all wow you were on your own for a few months...HA!

      Delete
  10. Ah this one wasn't for you. I did listen to it I think but it was awhile ago.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP