Monday 14 January 2019

Summoned to the thirteenth grave - Darynda Jones


Kindle Edition, 304 pages
Expected publication: January 15th 2019 by St. Martin's Press
Series: Charley Davidson #13
Urban fantasy paranormal romance
Netgalley

My Thoughts
The fun was there, but at the same time, I did not like how it ended. It was all building up to a Beep book set in the future, with I guess lots of dead people as ghosts helping her in the war. This book ended in a cliffie that way and that is a horrible way for a series to end.

THe apocalypse is happening. Charley return to her gang to help save the world, for this time. There are "zombies", lots of death regarding people you like. Revelations, and she even has time to solve a a crime of a missing girl. Which, considering was really strange. Focus on the big bad.

But the whole book was at the same time a build up for a future Beep book as nothing is solved
And I just can not like Osh, I find it creepy. It was one thing with Reyes, but Beep is a baby in these books.

So do not expect a neat ending. The big battle is still to come. But I enjoyed it for old times sake.

Synopsis
Charley Davidson, Grim Reaper extraordinaire, is pissed. She’s been kicked off the earthly plain for eternity – which is the appropriate amount of time to make a person starkraving mad. But someone’s looking out for her, and she’s allowed to return after a mere hundred years in exile. Is it too much to hope for that not much has changed? Apparently it is. Bummer.

She’s missed Reyes and her daughter, Beep, but now that she’s back on earth, it’s time to put to rest burning questions that need answers. What happened to her mother? How did she really die? Who killed her? And are cupcakes or coffee the best medicine? It all comes to a head in an epic showdown between good and evil in this final smart and hilarious novel. 


27 comments:

  1. I love the creativity of that key on the cover, but I'm not a fan of cliffhangers in books. I read a book years ago that I loved so much, and the new book was set to release a year later, giving us closure. It's 7 years later, and I'm still waiting(lol) Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I can't say it is a cliffie since the series ended..

      And yes! I have waited for a book since 2011

      Delete
  2. Right? I felt a little let down, too. But no matter. I love this series so much that I'm looking forward to reading the continuing series. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a harder time getting over it :/ It just went on too long and then this end felt like a cop out

      Delete
  3. The more I see of this series the more I don't want to continue. I'm only on book 3 ugh. I hate when a series ends but then doesn't so frustrating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...after a while, I can not remember where they started to drag for me

      Delete
    2. I had a love hate relationship with this series. Book 3 was on the bad side. I was ready to stop, but then someone suggested listening instead. Lorelei King does an AMAZING job, and it allowed me to forgive some of the problems I had with the series.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like it is just a bridge book and a filler.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOw... we had totally different looks at this one. I didn't feel that ending was a cliffhanger, in as much as it was more a shocker but in fun. That's how Charley rolls. YES... this is probably a set up for future titles, but I thought the author did a good job of closing all the outstanding issues directly around Charley. Beep's time is still to come. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been disenchanted with them for a while now, and when it ended like this. I mean hello her kid her kid!

      Delete
  6. I really do want to start reading this series soon. How disappointing that things didn't wrap up in this one though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe this series lasted this long. But no, a series should not end on a cliffie in any way shape or form! What the heck!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worst ending ever, it was like this come hither and read my next series thing

      Delete
  8. Sometimes a series should end before it gets annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I stared at that last sentence and gasped. :)

    It was a fun one in the usual way. I had the same impression about what was she doing solving a murder when the end of the world was going on. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole murder thing was ridiculous. I mean there are more important things to focus on

      Delete
  10. Shame on me for not getting to this series yet. I was so behind in read, and still am but I hope to get some reading done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe one day, and then you an skip like books 8 to 12 ;)

      Delete
  11. I had some issues with this book too. I enjoyed it, but there are issues. I can't explain without spoilers, but feel free to DM if you want to talk about :-)

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP