Thursday 10 January 2019

Audio: Year of the Griffin - Diana Wynne Jones


Audio CD, 10 h
Narrator: Gemma Dawson
Published December 4th 2018 by Tantor Audio (first published August 19th 2000)
Series: Derkholm #2
Fantasy

My Thoughts
Oh she is so funny! Why did it take me ages to try her books! So far they have all been great fun.

This one takes on the whole wizard boarding school trope and it is hilarious. The University is run down and out of money. After Chesney they have barely any wizards who know real magic. Instead they teach basics that give you nothing.

To this glorious institution comes Elda, Derk's griffin daughter (yes you should read book 1 before, and no you do not have to read it before cos this stands well on its own, but you should still read it.)
She quickly becomes friends with a Dwarf revolutionary, a jinxed princess, a mysterious rich young woman, a crown prince with the worst talent and a man hiding from assassins. Let the good time begin!

They are all hiding from something, and all those things will show up and wreak havoc. There is a professor who knows nothing, another one that is trying to build a ship to get to the moon. There is never a dull moment at school from now on.

We meet old favorites from book 1, and it makes me wish there were more books in this serious. But then again, maybe I should just read more Wynne Jones books instead and hope they are fun too.

Conclusion:
Fun. Humour. Crazy hi jinks.

Narrator
Oh she was perfect and I really felt I was in this world. She had a great range and I was swept in by her.

Cover
I do not get it, sure a griffin, but those people..eh?

Synopsis
It is eight years after the tours from offworld have stopped. High Chancellor Querida has retired, leaving Wizard Corkoran in charge of the Wizards' University. Although Wizard Corkoran's obsession is to be the first man on the moon, and most of his time is devoted to this project, he decides he will teach the new first years himself in hopes of currying the favor of the new students' families—for surely they must all come from wealth, important families—and obtaining money for the University (which it so desperately needs). But Wizard Corkoran is dismayed to discover that one of those students—indeed, one he had such high hopes for, Wizard Derk's own daughter Elda—is a huge golden griffin, and that none of the others has any money at all.

Wizard Corkoran's money-making scheme backfires, and when Elda and her new friends start working magic on their own, the schemes go wronger still. And when, at length, Elda ropes in her brothers Kit and Blade to send Corkoran to the moon... well... life at the Wizards' University spins magically and magnificently out of control.


28 comments:

  1. ooh I love a well written fantasy...and a wizarding school. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how she takes everything we know and makes fun of it hehe

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a lot of fun. And a perfect one for audio. I don't think I've ever read any of hers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THis is my third and sniff, why did I not read them before! Well listen

      Delete
  3. I've never tried any of her books but it sounds fun

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never read her books either, but I've always heard great things. I'll have to find the audios.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read 3 and 3 have been great! Good odds

      Delete
  5. Seems like a load of fantasy fun, and a really enjoyable book. I think she has written children's books too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all of hers are like YA MG, but they are s broad that they are like adult too

      Delete
  6. You convinced me. I really need light and funny during the winter. I am going to see if I can get this at my library.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I kinda like comedic fantasy sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me at funny :) I need to try her books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh? I have wanted to try her since forever too, maybe I should take the plunge!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You so have to! They have done a great job in audio too!
      I did read Howl, amazing too

      Delete
  10. Wait... what? This sounds awesome. We should compare Tantor notes before requesting review copies. You always find some gems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I must confess I to think I pick really well, I am really picky

      Delete
  11. I'm not familiar with this author. I do like funny paranormal stories.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had heard of this author but it does sound fun!

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP