Sunday 20 January 2019

Carole's Sunday Review: Lady of the Eternal City - Kate Quinn

Lady of the Eternal City (The Empress of Rome, #4)
Author: Kate Quinn

Narrator: Elizabeth Wiley
Title: Lady of the Eternal City (The Empress of Rome #4)
Genre: Historical Fiction
Pages: Audiobook
Published: March 3rd 2015
Where I Got It: My shelf (Audible)

Elegant, secretive Sabina may be Empress of Rome, but she still stands poised on a knife’s edge. She must keep the peace between two deadly enemies: her husband Hadrian, Rome’s brilliant and sinister Emperor; and battered warrior Vix, who is her first love. But Sabina is guardian of a deadly secret: Vix’s beautiful son Antinous has become the Emperor’s latest obsession.


Empress and Emperor, father and son will spin in a deadly dance of passion, betrayal, conspiracy, and war. As tragedy sends Hadrian spiraling into madness, Vix and Sabina form a last desperate pact to save the Empire. But ultimately, the fate of Rome lies with an untried girl, a spirited redhead who may just be the next Lady of the Eternal City . . . 




Oh no! The last book in the series. I have been dreading this day but also really excited to see everything come to a conclusion. 



Sabina and Vix are back. So much has happened. So many years. Sabina is now the empress and her husband, Hadrian, is not all sane. Smart and brilliant, but the man has a lot of demons. Especially after a certain event occurs. Vix just wants to live a simple life but his fate seems tied to the empress and emperor.  The fate of the empire may rest on the shoulders of a young girl. 



This was loooonnnnngggggg. Super long, but I didn't mind it really. I actually enjoyed it. I didn't want it to end tbh. I love Sabina and Vix. I also grew to adore Annia. There are even bits of me that like Hadrian. The man needed serious therapy. He is so smart, but he lacks normal human emotion. I do really encourage you to read the others of the series. I felt like they all built up to this one. I would at least read book 3 in order to really appreciate Vix and Sabina. 



The format was still a little odd for me. Everyone's POVs were in one format, but Vix was 1st person. I forgive this and understand it especially when we learn that Vix is writing his memoirs SOOO it does give a reason why the author did what she did. 



Other than that, I adored this book. I think it was one of my favorites of the series. It made me cry. It made me cheer. It gave me all the feels! 



I did listen to the audio of this and I really loved it. The narrator really did a good job. I think she was the same from the last book. But yes, I loved her voices. Every character (and mind you...there are a LOT of characters) had their own voices. Kuddos there. 



Overall, this was really good. It's hard not to give away some spoilers. But this made me feel! This ended perfectly and I can't wait to read more by this author. She is one of my favorites. She really knows how to get you hooked and absorbed. Worth the read. I'll give this 5 stars since the ending gave a good reason why the format was the way it was. 








Got it, thanks!Thanks, I'll check them out.Thank you!

9 comments:

  1. what a lovely review, and I am glad that you enjoyed this one. I love this narrator though she is wonderful to listen to

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind a really long book if I really enjoy the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when a series ends well, but also sad to say goodbye. Glad you liked it, Carole!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this series before but it sounds wonderful. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you liked this one Carole! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you enjoyed the book and it ended well for the series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, it made you cry?! Now I'm excited to pick it up!! I adore this series and am also sad to see the end come.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP