Monday 29 April 2019

Audio: Come from Away - Genevieve Graham


A Novel of the Second World War
By: Genevieve Graham
Narrated by: Michelle Ferguson
Length: 8 hrs and 2 mins
Unabridged Audiobook
Release date: 03-05-19
Language: English
Publisher: Audible Studios
Historical fiction
For review

My Thoughts
The couple from the previous books have grown children in this one, and it is their story. Well Grace's story to be honest.

WWII, Grace's 3 brothers go to war and she is left at home wondering if she should do more. But she has her job and parents. So life goes on, until she meets a handsome stranger. I liked Grace, she was levelheaded, but she could also hold one big grudge. 

Then there is Rudi, disillusioned by the war and Hitler, and Canada sure looks a lot greener than the hell that is war. I liked Rudi, he made no excuses. He had believed in what he believed until it got harder and harder as more policies were made.

This book is about them falling in love, but that is only a small part. It is about Rudi doing his best to get away and show that he is worth more. It is about the war taking a toll on people at home and those fighting. And again the dark side of war and how men suffer.

Final thoughts
Yes this one is tied together with the previous one, but this one is set 25 years later and is about their kids. So you can read in order, you can read out of order. It all works.

Narration
At first I was not sure, I felt like the voices blended together. But then they did not, so maybe it was just a 5 minuter bump in the road. Soon they all had distinct voices. I liked the light and darkness she managed to bring to Rudi's voice and the cheerfulness of what to call it in Grace's.

I liked her narration and I would listen to more.

From the best-selling author of Tides of Honour and Promises to Keep comes a poignant novel about a young couple caught on opposite sides of the Second World War.
In the fall of 1939, Grace Baker’s three brothers, sharp and proud in their uniforms, board Canadian ships headed for a faraway war. Grace stays behind, tending to the homefront and the general store that helps keep her small Nova Scotian community running. The war, everyone says, will be over before it starts. But three years later, the fighting rages on and rumors swirl about “wolf packs” of German U-Boats lurking in the deep waters along the shores of East Jeddore, a stone’s throw from Grace’s window. As the harsh realities of war come closer to home, Grace buries herself in her work at the store.
Then, one day, a handsome stranger ventures into the store. He claims to be a trapper come from away, and as Grace gets to know him, she becomes enamored by his gentle smile and thoughtful ways. But after several weeks, she discovers that Rudi, her mysterious visitor, is not the lonely outsider he appears to be. He is someone else entirely - someone not to be trusted. When a shocking truth about her family forces Grace to question everything she has so strongly believed, she realizes that she and Rudi have more in common than she had thought. And if Grace is to have a chance at love, she must not only choose a side, but take a stand.
Come from Away is a mesmerizing story of love, shifting allegiances, and second chances, set against the tumultuous years of the Second World War.

19 comments:

  1. great review and I totally agree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful story in a tough time. I don't like it when a character holds a big grudge, hopefully that wasn't too frustrating. Wonderful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean I do get it, he was still the enemy

      Delete
  3. Glad the narration worked out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely review. Graham always transports me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are reading a lot of war fiction lately! Glad this one continues from the previous one with stories about the characters' children.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you too enjoyed this second one, I loved the Canadian setting and catching up with them all again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did realise that I never read any books set in Canada!

      Delete
  7. I really liked the way this one was written and this follow up story about the Bakers through Grace. Rudi was great, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked Rudi. I also liked that she did make him a follower, until he realised it was bad

      Delete
  8. I'm totally on the fence with this series. I like the premise, but I'm afraid I'm not in the right mental space for a more serious story. Love your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, i mean I would not call it that serious. I have read more serious. but it sure is no happy HR

      Delete
  9. I'm into WWII books right now, so I'll have to check these out!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP