Monday 15 April 2019

Audio: The Ruin of Kings - Jenn Lyons



Narrated by: Feodor Chin, Vikas Adam, Soneela Nankani
Series: A Chorus of Dragons, Book 1
Length: 27 hrs and 15 mins
Unabridged Audiobook
Release date: 02-05-19
Language: English
Publisher: Macmillan Audio

My Thoughts:
I know I keep saying that everything is better in audio, well, this book proved me wrong. Everything is NOT better in audio. Even those that have Vikas Adam narrating.

Gods, where to start!?

The way it was built:
1 Pov telling Kherin's story today
3rd telling Kherin's story 2 years ago
At the same time.
Then there is footnotes, god damn footnotes that come in in the middle in the narration. If you read it you could at least wait until the end of the page.

And omg, then at the end there is a third narrator, the footnote guy that narrates Kherin's story all the sudden.

The names. Everyone had names that sounded similar, everyone had names that started with the same letter.

Footnotes, I guess it was supposed to build the world? It just annoyed me and at the end when I found out who the letter was to, well then I just found footnote guy to be an arrogant prick. Wtf, the footnotes made no sense.

The worldbuilding was spotty. It was too grand that I understood nothing of. There seems to be a lot of different humanoids, gods, monsters, elves? I really do not know. It was a convoluted mess.

Linear. Just make it linear!

The words. She used a lot of madeup words, or I do not know, maybe they are real, but the thing is I have no idea what anyone was wearing? Words without meaning tell me nothing.

The sad thing is that the history was interesting, it was just put together in a messy way.

Khirin could be such a bratty dick at times too. Yes your life sucks cos of your dad, still, he just kills someone in cold blood. Yes the guy was bad, but he had orders. Kill the one that gives orders instead.

oh and then there is the whole oh this person is dead but someone else is using that body. X is mother to Y, even if only by body since the soul is gone. And this happened a lot. So many who is their parents or grandparents. Everyone in someone elses body

No, I will not read more

Narrators
Well Vikas Adam rocked his 1 person
The woman was good as 3rd person Kherin
Footnote guy was good, until he had his own Kherin story and then it fell apart. Suddenly Kherin had a really American accent and it was really weird 

Blrub
Kihrin grew up in the slums of Quur, a thief and a minstrel's son raised on tales of long-lost princes and magnificent quests. When he is claimed against his will as the missing son of a treasonous prince, Kihrin finds himself at the mercy of his new family's ruthless power plays and political ambitions.

Practically a prisoner, Kihrin discovers that being a long-lost prince is nothing like what the storybooks promised. The storybooks have lied about a lot of other things, too: dragons, demons, gods, prophecies, and how the hero always wins.

Then again, maybe he isn't the hero after all. For Kihrin is not destined to save the world.

He's destined to destroy it. (less)


14 comments:

  1. OMG - so you finished it? This does not sound enjoyable. I do agree that MOST things are better in audio, but not always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sorry it was complicated

    ReplyDelete
  3. 27 hours, 27 hours. That's like 3 books, gad i'd have trouble too and this was one of the Macmillan Audio offerings I had this month too. As much as I love epic fantasy I wonder why they always have to be sooooo Long. LOL Nice review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had not taken it. I wish I had given up

      Delete
  4. So we can chalk up one book that didn't work on audio and maybe not even as an ordinary book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darn, I still need to read this. I'm so behind and it doesn't help that this one is so long!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't do audio's but this sounds too much for me.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP