Sunday 14 April 2019

Carole's Sunday_ The Guise of a Gentleman by Donna Hatch


The Guise of a Gentleman (Rogue Hearts, #2)
Author: Donna Hatch
Title: The Guise of a Gentleman
(Rogue Hearts #2)
Genre: Historical Romance
Pages: ebook
Published: March 2010
Where I Got It: My shelf (Given to me by the author/publisher for my honest and unbiased opinion)




Though her heart longs for adventure, Elise strives to be a perfect English lady within the stifling confines of society for the sake of her impressionable young son. Her quiet world is shattered when she meets the impulsive and scandalous Jared Amesbury. His roguish charm awakens her yearning for adventure. But his irrepressible grin and sea-green eyes hide a secret. A gentleman by day, a pirate by night, Jared must complete one last assignment for the Secret Service before he can be truly free. Elise gives him hope that he, too, can find love and belonging. His hopes are crushed when his best laid plans go awry and Elise is dragged into his world of violence and deceit. She may not survive the revelation of Jared's past...or still love him when the truth is revealed. 

Book 2! I've been curious about this one especially since the hero, Jared, is an undercover pirate. I love pirates!

The story follows Elise who is recently a widow who wants adventure, but she is a mother and has responsibility. Jared who an undercover pirate by England. He has one big mission left to do before he can put up his bootstraps.

Ooo the beginning was super slow, but once you get to a certain point it hooks you in like a fish. I finished it in a couple of sittings after I got over the hump of slowness. I had no idea how everything was going to be fixed especially near the near. Ooo Jared. I was so worried.

I liked Jared and I did not fault him for not telling Elise the truth. The truth can get one killed in the spy/undercover world. However, at a certain point, I feel like he could've told her. But better to keep her out of the loop so she doesn't get him killed.  I liked Elise too. She was sweet and kind. 

Besides the slow beginning, I adored the story. Pirates, romance. All wonderful! I wouldn't want to be a pirate. It is a sad and short life for sure. 

The ending was a little unlikely, to be honest, but it fit and I liked it a lot. I was honestly in shock and awe! HOW? WHAT? Oooo those brothers of his. 

All-in-all this was an exciting read once you get past the slowness. You do not need to read book 1 to read this. It did well as a standalone. I'll give it 4 stars. Nearly a five. 








Widow!




8 comments:

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP