Thursday 25 April 2019

Audio: Tides of Honour - Genevieve Graham

Narrated by: Fajer Al-Kaisi
Length: 12 hrs and 23 mins
Unabridged Audiobook
Release date: 11-09-17
Language: English Genre: historical fiction
Publisher: Audible Studios
For review


My Thoughts
I guess when a couple is almost together at once then one should expect a bit of heartache along the way.

Danny met Audrey in French, in the midst of war. When he is sent home cos he lost his leg she follows. And then the real story begin. And that is what it was. It felt real. 

Once he tells himself that he is luckier since he does not suffer from shell shock. But he clearly is not ok and he does have ptsd. Drinks too much, depressed (I mean he did loose a leg!), violent. Pushing way those who care. And yes I confess that there sure were times I did not like him when he was an idiot, but then it was not really him. It was war that had changed him and he tried to fight his demons but could not.

Since this is another time he also had trouble with his wife making money while he was useless.

So all credit goes to Audrey. She stands by him for better and for worse. It is not an easy life, but worry not, there is happiness at the end. And I am glad for it.

There was also this really interesting historic event woven into the story. The explosion in Halifax. I had no idea that it had happened. And at that scale! Mind blowing and horrible. I do love learning things like this. So much I do not know.

I enjoyed it. The ups and downs. The bitter reality of life.

Narrator
I have not listened to him before (I think). But I enjoyed his voice for women and men. He made it into a nice tale to listen to.

Blurb
In the summer of 1916, Private Daniel Baker marches into battle with the boys of Nova Scotia's 25th Battalion. Out of brutal necessity, Danny has steeled himself against the trials and horrors of war, but he is completely unprepared to meet the love of his life in war-torn France.

Audrey Poulin has the soul of an artist. She lives alone with her grandmother in the quiet French countryside, where her only joy is in her brush and palette. When by chance she encounters Danny, the handsome young soldier captures her heart and inspires her painting. The young lovers believe that only together can they face the hardships the war brings.

But love is just the beginning. Mere months later Danny is gravely wounded at the Battle of the Somme, and his future is thrown into uncertainty. Soon he and Audrey find themselves struggling to build a new life in Halifax, a city grieving its lost men. As the gray winter of 1917 sets in, Danny's lack of purpose and Audrey's isolation continue to mount, pulling the two apart just as a new catastrophe threatens their existence.

Heartrending and enthralling, Tides of Honour is a novel of love and second chances set against Halifax's most devastating moment of the First World War.

27 comments:

  1. My mom loves this kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I saw this one around a lot

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a huge historical fiction reader, but maybe I'd enjoy in audiobook format more. I like this author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this one too. She writes memorable characters :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SHe sure does! I am curious about those taking place way back

      Delete
  5. been wanting to try this forever, heard so many lovely stuff about this author

    ReplyDelete
  6. After what he went through I would be surprised if he didn't have PTSD.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review and you've summed it up well. I too liked the narrator and I hadn't known about the explosion before and liked learning about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww I love realistic stories that show it is not all sunshine and flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Real life can be shitty and it makes for real drama

      Delete
  9. This sounds fantastic! It sounds like they really go through a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh nice, it's a historical war novel set in eastern Canada, this is definitely intriguing! I can see how their romance can be difficult though, meeting each other during the war.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. German soldier on Canadian soil, I have read a few like this, but they have been POW and they always end sadly

      Delete
  11. I'm a historical fiction fan - covering any genre from romance to murder so this is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was so into this one and it felt real to me as well. And, yes! This was only the second book I'd read that referenced that huge explosion and the first one was a non-fic. I'm glad she covered that since it was such a huge event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of it, and omg, I think other than the atomic bombs this one was the biggest. That I can not even imagine

      Delete
  13. This sounds very good, I live it when a story covers a real event well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these covers. They aren't my normal style, but there is something about them that I love.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have liked all her covers so far, they always catch my eye

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP