Thursday 4 April 2019

Audio: The Lieutenant's Nurse by Sara Ackerman



Narrated by: Lauren Ezzo
Length: 9 hrs and 41 mins
Unabridged Audiobook
Release date: 03-05-19
Language: English
Publisher: Harlequin Audio
Historical fiction
Thank you Harper for this review copy

My Thoughts
How to begin, well it takes a while to get to the battle, but I liked that. Eva is on her ship, she meets a handsome soldier, there are feelings, but she has someone already on Hawaii. No, not a love triangle, it was more that her dad wanted them together and he was a really nice guy.

One strange thing though is her roommate, who then is never mentioned after she embarks...

Anyway, while we are on the ship there are short chapters about how the Japanese are sailing towards Hawaii too. Even though I know her ship will be fine it does feel dramatic.

And then obviously we later on will have Pearl Harbor and what that entails. And being a nurse she is in the middle of it. Heartbreaking and tragic.

Eva had secrets, but it is easy to guess as we get flashbacks. Not her fault, but it has consequences. I liked her, she was a great nurse who cared about patients.

And a certain lieutenant, well he does not really have secrets in that way, it is more what his job is. A really good guy.

One thing that struck me is that I would like to read a book how those of Japanese origin was treated during the war. I know what went on on the mainland, but what about here? There were so many there.

There is also suspense, how much did the US know about a coming attack? 

Narration
She did a good job with different voices. I liked how she did the Japanese Navy flashes, it brought suspense to it all.

A good one to listen at.

Blurb
She's never even seen the ocean before, but Eva Cassidy has her reasons for making the crossing to Hawaii, and they run a lot deeper than escaping a harsh Michigan winter. Newly enlisted as an Army Corps nurse, Eva is stunned by the splendor she experiences aboard the steamship SS Lurline; even more so by Lt. Clark Spencer, a man she is drawn to but who clearly has secrets of his own. But Eva's past-and the future she's trying to create-means that she's not free to follow her heart. Clark is a navy intelligence officer, and he warns her that the United States won't be able to hold off joining the war for long, but nothing can prepare them for the surprise attack that will change the world they know.In the wake of the bombing of Pearl Harbor, Eva and her fellow nurses band together for the immense duty of keeping the American wounded alive. And the danger that finds Eva threatens everything she holds dear. Amid the chaos and heartbreak, Eva will have to decide whom to trust and how far she will go to protect those she loves.

21 comments:

  1. That always makes me crazy when a character kind of walks of stage..lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been reading WWII era books lately. I think I would like this one as Pearl Harbor fascinates me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have actually never read a Pearl one! It was horrifying

      Delete
  3. I'm sure any book about that time would be a bit emotional to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this era and the cover too! Great review and suspense in a book is a plus for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder where the roommate went...lol. This sounds pretty good overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She went to her job and was never seen again

      Delete
  6. Oh no, not another WW2 story, I gotta be in the right mood for those.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good addition to the WW2 books. Not sure I am ready for another one yet but this sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe the roommate was like a Hitchcock cameo in his own movies. LOL
    But, this book sounds great. I've read lots of non-fiction about Pearl Harbor, but few fiction stories. This one sounds good.
    Oh, and the Japanese families that appeared in the stuff I read were sent to the internment camps just like those living on the mainland. I don't know if some were not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I can see that.

      SO they had camps there too :/ I had hoped they did not since the % Japanese on the island was so high

      Delete
  9. Ackerman, Ackerman... the name sounds strangely familiar...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds interesting and I like the cover. I have to be in the mood to read war drama.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP