Thursday 11 April 2019

Audio: The Deepest Blue - Sarah Beth Durst


Narrated by: Khristine Hvam
Length: 12 hrs and 17 mins
Unabridged Audiobook
Release date: 03-19-19
Language: English
Publisher: HarperAudio
Fantasy YA
Thank you Harper for this review copy

My Thoughts
Well this was a horrible place to live! Poor people! There are spirits everywhere, and these spirits hate humans and wants to kill them all, niiice. The only thing that holds them in check is the Queen of the land and heirs. But no one controls the wild ones so they can just go and kill you like that.

But that is not the worst in away, not for the main character. See if you magic you have 3 choices. Hide it as long as you can. Get sent to this hellish island where spirits will try to kill you for a month and if you survive you get to be an Heir, and fight spirits until your end days. Or be a Silent One and never see your family again. Oh this system sucks!

Was this YA? I mean it did feel like YA, but at the same time she gets married. She has a great relationship with him, and there is no romance. Oh you know me and YA ;) But yes I loved the interactions between her and her husband to be. They loved each other. No other people in sight. SO double worse for her to show her powers and be sent away from him.

I really liked this world, it is one crazy world! I did not know that her previous series was set here too, but on the mainland? Since this was the islands. I would like to read those too. As this one was a stand alone and truly worked like that. But hey if there is more then I am in.

I liked Mayara. She wanted to survive, but she was also a nurturer as we will see, and not great on her own. All good things in a way, you will see. There is danger and fighting, lots and lots of fighting, and death.

Final thoughts.
I liked it

Narration
She did well with female and male voices. If to be fair the only male voice was the hubbie, and this evil Lord for a few sentences. This is a very female driven book. But she made great effort to show the differences in their voices.

I also liked the spirits voices and esp the old ones.



Blurb
Life is precious and precarious on the islands of Belene. Besieged by a capricious ocean full of malicious spirits, the people of the islands seek joy where they can. Mayara, one of the island’s fearless oyster divers, has found happiness in love. But on the day of her wedding to the artist Kelo, a spirit-driven storm hits the island with deadly force.

To save her loved ones, Mayara reveals a dangerous secret: she has the power to control the spirits. When the storm ends, she is taken into custody by the queen’s soldiers and imprisoned with other women like her.

They vary in age and social status, but to many they are heroes who will aide the country or witches that will sacrifice themselves trying. No matter who they are, the women are sent to a terrifying place—an island filled with bloodthirsty nature spirits, and left without food, water, shelter, or any tools except their own instincts and magic. Whoever survives the Island of Testing will be declared heirs to the queen. But no matter if she wins or loses, Mayara knows that the life she dreamed of is gone. 

28 comments:

  1. I am glad that you liked this book. What a cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone is reading this one

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like her books and how varied they are. I was planning on checking this one out.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  4. i heard so many good things about it, I'm excited for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The world sounds awful, but that is also a sign of a good story and author. Love the cover, very captivating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good although I don't like too much fighting - I often skip that!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it does sound like a crazy world. Thanks Blodeuedd

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read this one but the storyline sounds like one that I might enjoy. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh. This does sound great! So glad to hear you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a great read. I don't think I would want to live there though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I love this world, and yes, though her characters and stories sometimes feel YA, I think in general the Renthia books have great crossover appeal.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like it would make a really good movie on Netflix! Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, not fun options for those with magic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel like I just went on a whirl-wind trip! This sounds crazy. I'm glad you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP