Wednesday 3 April 2019

Beneath the world, a sea - Chris Beckett


Hardcover, 288 pages
Expected publication: April 4th 2019 by Corvus
Speculative fiction
Thank you Corvus for this review copy

My Thoughts
I will say it, Chris Beckett writes such weird books! But good! But seriously weird. They are so hard to explain.

Right...ok so this cop goes to a strange place in South America. People were dumped there 150 years ago. There are also some strange creatures and the UN wants to protect them. Also if you go there you lose your memory for awhile. And you have no idea what you did then...

This place is so weird. The strange Duende brings our the worst in humans. Near them every thought in your head screams at you and that is why people kill them on sight. Every dark thought you ever had comes forward.

It is surreal, like being on drugs. It is not a place I would want to visit and it messes with everyone. But it is fascinating. A corner of the world not explained. Like what are the Duendes. How does this weird place work?

It is a good, but strange book. And the poor cop soon realises that stopping these murders wont be easy, or even possible. I liked the doubts he had and how he wanted to know during those lost days.

I have never read anything like it. He does write the weirdest books.

Blurb
South America, 1990. Ben Ronson, a British police officer, arrives in a mysterious forest to investigate a spate of killings of a local species called the Duendes. They are silent, vaguely humanoid creatures - with long limbs and black button eyes - that have a strange psychic effect on people, exposing them to their suppressed thoughts and fears.

The crimes have taken place in a landscape known as the Delta and to reach it Ben has crossed the Zone, a territory which wipes the memories of all who pass through. He remembers nothing of the preceding days; what he did or felt or saw.

Ben is uneasy about what he may have done in the Zone and avoids opening the diaries he kept whilst there, busying himself with the investigation instead. He becomes fascinated by the Duendes, but the closer he gets, the more he begins to unravel. As the Delta starts to take hold of his mind, Ben becomes increasingly haunted by the unopened diaries and the terrible secrets they might hold...

28 comments:

  1. doesn't it just blow your mind when you read a book and have no idea how to describe what you just read. Nicely done

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always intriguing to have something unique

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds really different, but I'm not sure this is one that could hold my interest. Glad you found this one and enjoyed it. Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most likely not for me but I admire that you kept with it an d enjoyed the weirdness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colors of the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weird is totally cool. I will add to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does sound out there! I felt that way about Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer- I didn't know WHAT the eff was going on in that story half the time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt like they were on an alien planet, honestly that is all that made sense to me. Then it was real

      Delete
  8. it does sound weird but also interesting

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad that the weird worked out for you. :) I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still have not finished his Dark Eden series! The third book still hasn't come to the US, I don't think.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like weird books so I might need to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Huh... the cover and title captivate me. I love your review.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP